Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Late Model Haves vs Have Nots

https://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-...-vs-have-nots/

Has dirt racing become a contest of the Haves vs the Have Nots and other topics discussed here.

good and accurate artical IMO , only thing is the statement about the sport always being this way for last 20 years , 20 years ago , a " have not" with a little equipment and some fab skills could look at an advantage the " haves" had and go home and duplicate it themselves and be competitive , thats way harder to do today.........

This isn't the haves vs the have nots. This is the life vs death of short track racing. Don't worry, us little have nots are leaving slowly one by one. The core problem here is when they were talking about keeping up with innovations whether it's a late model or street stock. If they don't stop the innovation and constant changes, it's going to continue to get more expensive. ESPECIALLY IN STREET STOCKS! NO NEW INNOVATIONS! NONE! Your next generation of racers are finding better things to do after they find out what a stupid street stock costs. So they lose interest. Where are they going to stop this? Why do you all think the cars must be faster and more complicated than the year before? Fine, have it your way. Enjoy watching your sport die. Eventually this will hurt Woo, Ump, Lucas Oil and all the others. Karma will catch up eventually.
    Last edited by Fully Torqued; 03-01-2019 at 11:14 AM.

FT: How are you suppose to get better or gain an edge on your competition if you can't change or try anything new?!

Quote Originally Posted by james777777 View Post
    FT: How are you suppose to get better or gain an edge on your competition if you can't change or try anything new?!
    I don't know, do a good job preparing your car and a good job driving. Won't be able to get a huge advantage. You're gonna have to work for it. What do you think I meant? They dictate what stagger, springs and shock rates you can run? Plus the "haves" don't have an "edge" with the current system. The have nots don't have a chance. If you aren't buying a new car every 1-2 years, you might as well quit.
    Last edited by Fully Torqued; 03-01-2019 at 11:27 AM.

So, I assume you guys complaining of costs and technology, still have bag phones and flip phones?

wish i still had my old flip phone , was way less trouble and less expensive than this brick im toting around now , kind of like my race car from 15 yrs ago.....lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    wish i still had my old flip phone , was way less trouble and less expensive than this brick im toting around now , kind of like my race car from 15 yrs ago.....lol.....
    Actually my first bag phone was $1200, almost twice as much as my newest iPhone......and a whole lot less features!

Google Maps is a godsend for those of us that drive a lot in our jobs!Find friends lets you keep up with your familys location!

And where would we be without Race Monitor and dod apps? lol

Yeah I wish I had my old Razor phone back lol

Technology usually makes things more expensive so, they are going to have to figure out how to manage that if the can.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    So, I assume you guys complaining of costs and technology, still have bag phones and flip phones?
    Apples and oranges. Comparing life to sport. Comparing progress that lowers cost with progress that increases it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

This article is what dirt late model racing has turned into, it is getting so expensive to run the big tours and that is why you are seeing more and more names starting to run the regional tours, not as many races, not as much traveling and you have a few weeks off during the season.

I think we've heard ways to make thung better, but there's the ones who are rich and don't mind buying sucess and they as in life unfortunately are the ones with the lobbying power. So I don't know a solution but lm racing is becoming like Nascar extremely fast where you have 3 drivers that win 90% of the races...and it will die...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Apples and oranges. Comparing life to sport. Comparing progress that lowers cost with progress that increases it.

Not really......new technology is very expensive and then gradually decreases as sales increase.

Not really......new technology is very expensive and then gradually decreases as sales increase.
    You are correct in that eventually the price comes down. But then there’s a better mouse trap and the cycle of spending more never ends.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Chupp N Bloomer that is exactly what I'm trying to say. About the time you've caught up and bought a good used car 1-4 years old, they've already built a better mousetrap. How many perfectly good cars are almost worthless or obsolete because it's constantly changing? This is the whole problem. What fun is it if you can't go racing and know that you have a chance to win? Even if it's a very small chance? At that point you're there to fill the field and make the front runners look good. Also when it's constantly changing, a new car devalues VERY quickly. So you buy a new car and 2-4 years later it's worth 25% of what it was new, even if it's in excellent condition.
    Last edited by Fully Torqued; 03-01-2019 at 03:43 PM.

That might be right but, just like you said initially the cost is high and with new technology it advances so, fast if you don't keep up you are left behind so, that cost more to stay competitive. As that keeps happening more and more are going to be getting out because, of the cost but, that's just my opinion.

I have no animosity towards the engineers and the rich involved in racing. Most of them are ok people. I just want large car counts and the fate of the races in the hands of the drivers and the people turning the screw jacks. Doesn't matter if you're a blue collar stiff or you're a millionaire.

Street stocks that cost 30 to 40 grand is insane late models 100 grand race ready it's insane and can't go on much longer. Yes I was one of those racers who could look at something and make it did my own engines chassis everything not nowadays your pissing in the wind trying to do that it's gone too far I not sure if it can be saved.

Computers and TV are dirt cheap. My first desktop computer was not top of the line and you can't spend what it cost even in today's dollars. Same for my first widescreen TV.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 03-01-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

If a new roller was $18500 in 1995, it should be $31000 with inflation.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1