Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fully Torqued View Post
    Chupp N Bloomer that is exactly what I'm trying to say. About the time you've caught up and bought a good used car 1-4 years old, they've already built a better mousetrap. How many perfectly good cars are almost worthless or obsolete because it's constantly changing? This is the whole problem. What fun is it if you can't go racing and know that you have a chance to win? Even if it's a very small chance? At that point you're there to fill the field and make the front runners look good. Also when it's constantly changing, a new car devalues VERY quickly. So you buy a new car and 2-4 years later it's worth 25% of what it was new, even if it's in excellent condition.
    Fire up the smoke wrench and make that old car new again.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I love all the "engineers are the problem" claims, so if you are an engineer, understand mechanical systems, or approach racing with a problem solving mentality you are killing the sport. There have been smart people making cars faster since day one, don't get caught up on titles.

I've been hearing this for 40 yrs. There are haves and have nots in ANY competitive sport. Heck, in life in general! My perspective nowadays is that racing as a hobby is dying off. I say this because as 1 example, on the west coast(Ca. especially) 2 of the oldest tracks I am most familiar with, Santa Maria and Bakersfield, as of this year have dropped Super Lates completely. The car counts were in single digits. I can't blame them. It's not just supers that are dwindling, but all classes. Perhaps it's just that kids these days don't have the interest. I don't know.

I don't think it can be done, but I'd like racing to be if you are the most talented driver on the track you can shine and still win races. Not run 5th because you don't have the money to compete with the guy out spending you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    If a new roller was $18500 in 1995, it should be $31000 with inflation.
    My business partner and I sat down with Barry and Bloomer at a regional super race in 1995, and we were told $52k would buy a car just like Bloomers.

You better talk to mark richards. According to many sources inside rocket, the team blue #1 car has years of racing on it. I have a feeling the zero is the same way. Some drivers just hammer on chit and some teams think a new this or new that will solve the problem.

Fire up the smoke wrench and make that old car new again.
    yep , we just turned an older off brand chassis into a up to date name brand one , problem is , there is not many people left that want to , or can do this , they either have the funds to go by one or they find something else to do . My dad was a he!! of a machinist and a great back yard engineer , and us building our own stuff and winning races with it was utopia for us , I realize its a lot harder to do this now , but not impossible....JMO....

Per the new DoD article on Rumley, we now have a well funded, manufacturer-backed team dedicated to experimenting and trying new things.

Quote Originally Posted by james777777 View Post
    Per the new DoD article on Rumley, we now have a well funded, manufacturer-backed team dedicated to experimenting and trying new things.
    You mean like all the big teams that test constantly? Testing during a race is not a very good way to test. The track condition changes constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    My business partner and I sat down with Barry and Bloomer at a regional super race in 1995, and we were told $52k would buy a car just like Bloomers.
    Turn key? Sounds about right. I am pretty sure a new GRT roller was near what I posted.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

https://imgur.com/a/X398X5G

2003 flyer from masters.....

Quote Originally Posted by oregonracer View Post
    I love all the "engineers are the problem" claims, so if you are an engineer, understand mechanical systems, or approach racing with a problem solving mentality you are killing the sport. There have been smart people making cars faster since day one, don't get caught up on titles.
    99% of the racers can't afford the technology...that's the problem. Keep it simple....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Turn key? Sounds about right. I am pretty sure a new GRT roller was near what I posted.
    Yep.....if I remember correctly, it also included the carbon fiber brake system they were using.

Here's an idea a little off the beaten path. The have nots could run wider tires weekly, and should also be allowed to do so at touring events as well. Give them an extra 1-2" of rear spoiler as well. That would allow them to put more of the hp they do have to the ground.

I know you need a dividing line. How about anyone who earned under 25k in winnings, the year before, and is not committed to running any national or regional tour full- time.

The problem with racing is no different than the problems of 5he world. No one wants to do the work and everyone wants to complain. Where is this technology people are crying about? A pull down rig? A shock Dyno? Wind tunnels? I’ve been away too long from this board I guess
    Shocks by BGR army

If you take away the shock behind and limit all the springs and bump stops and everything they are doing now the engineers are not gonna go away. If anything they will be used more so the cars will go faster. Just an example look at how many rules are in asphalt racing and how many people they have hired to go the fastest. Is the expense gotten out of hand yes it has. Is there a good easy answer? No there isnt. Sorry there if there are grammar issues and no paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    Here's an idea a little off the beaten path. The have nots could run wider tires weekly, and should also be allowed to do so at touring events as well. Give them an extra 1-2" of rear spoiler as well. That would allow them to put more of the hp they do have to the ground.I know you need a dividing line. How about anyone who earned under 25k in winnings, the year before, and is not committed to running any national or regional tour full- time.
    We don't need to add traction.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    We don't need to add traction.
    Fair enough...I'll gladly defer to those of you that are in the fray working on these cars on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by hillracermanb2j7 View Post
    If you take away the shock behind and limit all the springs and bump stops and everything they are doing now the engineers are not gonna go away. If anything they will be used more so the cars will go faster. Just an example look at how many rules are in asphalt racing and how many people they have hired to go the fastest. Is the expense gotten out of hand yes it has. Is there a good easy answer? No there isnt. Sorry there if there are grammar issues and no paragraphs.
    Sprint cars have the fewest rules I’ve ever seen and are 1/2 the cost of touring late models. If these tracks would simply enforce the rules that would be a great improvement.
    Shocks by BGR army

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    Here's an idea a little off the beaten path. The have nots could run wider tires weekly, and should also be allowed to do so at touring events as well. Give them an extra 1-2" of rear spoiler as well. That would allow them to put more of the hp they do have to the ground.

I know you need a dividing line. How about anyone who earned under 25k in winnings, the year before, and is not committed to running any national or regional tour full- time.
    i like this idea , if we go by my earnings last year , i would get to run tires 2 feet wide....lol....