Thread: Body questions

Default Body questions

Does anyone make their door panels without the top lip? Straight door panel like modifieds seem more convenient.... pros and cons please

Also what is everyone making the height of the front of their decks?

I don't think there legal pretty sure they have to have a bend or radius at top.That is the way we used to build them frame decking with 3/4 square tubing and rivet aluminum to tubing.

Rules require a lip at the top.

I kind of agree with the OP, would be more convenient.

How about adding the radii to the decking with a 2 couple inch flange hanging straight down and then attach the side?

Just say no...

According to WISSOTA rules it says this about the doors...
    "All cars must have a minimum of a 1 inch roll at the top of the fenders, doors,
    and quarter panels; a sharp edge will not be allowed. Body roll must go from sides
    over upper body, and not upper body over sides. A single strip affixed to the edge
    of the body, and riveted, both on the side and the top, will not be permitted."

I would really like to know the purpose of this rule. I do like the looks of the rolled edge, but it'd sure make life a lot easier if you could have a regular bend there, or even a flat side.
    There's a lot of rules (in all sanctions) that kinda seem pointless in my opinion. Seems like they could shorten things about 40% with less useless rules (and including rules that might actually make sense lol)
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmickRacing View Post
    According to WISSOTA rules it says this about the doors..."All cars must have a minimum of a 1 inch roll at the top of the fenders, doors, and quarter panels; a sharp edge will not be allowed. Body roll must go from sides over upper body, and not upper body over sides. A single strip affixed to the edge of the body, and riveted, both on the side and the top, will not be permitted."I would really like to know the purpose of this rule. I do like the looks of the rolled edge, but it'd sure make life a lot easier if you could have a regular bend there, or even a flat side. There's a lot of rules (in all sanctions) that kinda seem pointless in my opinion. Seems like they could shorten things about 40% with less useless rules (and including rules that might actually make sense lol)
    I remember that rule being added years ago. It was back when they made an effort to keep stuff flat and square. It would be a joke to enforce that rule now. When the rest of the car has been allowed to become a mutant.

The rule is to eliminate the making of an exposed(raised!!) lip. If you make a rolled radius top "L" strip to nail to, and put the side panels on top of that "L", with no side panel into the radius , you will be fine. Not easy to re nail a straightened panel without poor fit/gaps and problems with . So making side panels all one piece makes sense. I have seen some nasty late and crate bodies made that way racing under sanctioning...not WOO or Lucas although....but I may not have looked that closely at those events. Have definitely seen Crate cars with that cobblers work at their touring shows. 90* bends tend to crack and can make for a sharp edge for driver In/out and safety personnel! Easy to make that radius in your break with a simple tool made from a length of small diameter pipe.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 03-05-2019 at 07:16 AM.

It's easy to bend that radius just by doing 3 part bends over 3/8".

Quote Originally Posted by AmickRacing View Post
    According to WISSOTA rules it says this about the doors...
    "All cars must have a minimum of a 1 inch roll at the top of the fenders, doors,
    and quarter panels; a sharp edge will not be allowed. Body roll must go from sides
    over upper body, and not upper body over sides. A single strip affixed to the edge
    of the body, and riveted, both on the side and the top, will not be permitted."

I would really like to know the purpose of this rule. I do like the looks of the rolled edge, but it'd sure make life a lot easier if you could have a regular bend there, or even a flat side.
    There's a lot of rules (in all sanctions) that kinda seem pointless in my opinion. Seems like they could shorten things about 40% with less useless rules (and including rules that might actually make sense lol)
    WISSOTA could junk 60% of their rulebook and still have too many rules. However the rolled edge rule makes sense to at least try to make these thing appear somewhat like an automobile. Plus a sharp edge would cut the hell out of uniforns and, maybe, drivers.

As was mentioned...three bites in the brake will do what you want. Or just do a 90....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

have you seen anyone tech this?