Default TH350 or Bert/Brinn?

I wasn't considering an auto.......but, a good friend of mine told me a local asphalt team(a well financed one) is having good success with one in a 602 late model...... pros/cons?

Pros- the turbo 350 as a racebuilt may be a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. Only maybe. It will definitely handle a 602's meager output. Cons- Weight for sure as they run about 125 pounds compare to the Bert/Brinn at roughly 40 depending on whether it's aluminum or magnesium. Trying to get 80 some pounds off a car that needs to be very close to minimum class weight to be competitive can be a problem. Would be interesting to see how they compare on acceleration and deceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Pros- the turbo 350 as a racebuilt may be a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. Only maybe. It will definitely handle a 602's meager output. Cons- Weight for sure as they run about 125 pounds compare to the Bert/Brinn at roughly 40 depending on whether it's aluminum or magnesium. Trying to get 80 some pounds off a car that needs to be very close to minimum class weight to be competitive can be a problem. Would be interesting to see how they compare on acceleration and deceleration.
    Yeah, that 80 lbs is a killer. My friend said that the shifting on starts was a big part of the equation. He also believed the heavy rotational weight helped keep the momentum up in the crate motors. It sounds reasonable but Im not really sure!