Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Track in New Mexico

Good story on the new track on DoD. I wish these millionaires luck as they sure seem to have some high hopes. Bloomer designed the track itself.

Do they run open late models out there at all? They mention a class of LM with a 7,000 RPM limit on them. So what happens when they schedule a Lucas race?

I do find it odd that the biggest race they have scheduled is a $30,000 modified race, because mods need to win that!

I will say I do find it odd they bought all the lights and equipment from the "Taj Mahal of Dirt" Kentucky Lake. They basically had all the same ideas and failed too. They had clean bathrooms, concrete pads, concrete concessions and all that fun expensive stuff too!

I sure hope it works out for them but I could not help point these things out.

Either way, I am sure the tacos will be the best at any dirt track!

Your not in DLM country down there, mods rule in some area's. If whom think vested in this MVT trucking company then yes I think they'll make it work. They sponsor cars, races, tracks, etc. My knowledge is very little but the owner of mvt seems to be all in on dirt racing

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Good story on the new track on DoD. I wish these millionaires luck as they sure seem to have some high hopes. Bloomer designed the track itself.

Do they run open late models out there at all? They mention a class of LM with a 7,000 RPM limit on them. So what happens when they schedule a Lucas race?

I do find it odd that the biggest race they have scheduled is a $30,000 modified race, because mods need to win that!

I will say I do find it odd they bought all the lights and equipment from the "Taj Mahal of Dirt" Kentucky Lake. They basically had all the same ideas and failed too. They had clean bathrooms, concrete pads, concrete concessions and all that fun expensive stuff too!

I sure hope it works out for them but I could not help point these things out.

Either way, I am sure the tacos will be the best at any dirt track!
    Couple of things, and Jim touched on them, that is not late model country. Modified country, they deserve $30k. Late model with no front fenders. Late models around there run for $700.

You can not compare KLMS to anywhere else. The original owner pi$$ed off the neighbors from the start, so they did not work with him. Had curfews that were ridiculous. And the highway was at your back. So the curfew made me chuckle.

And their clay wasn’t very good. And they ran a terrible show.

In saying that, the facilities were top notch. What did them in was imminent domain. I believe the pits was used for a new interchange.

Royal Jones has been in racing forever, and is one of the owners of MVT, so I think he’ll make a go of it.

Maybe they will not have tacos.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

"They deserve a $30k to win show" Really? A class that is 'supposed' be keeping costs down.
    Thats like saying a single A player deserves a million dollar paycheck.

No different than crate LM races paying big money. It makes no sense, period.

As for KLMS whatever. It was the Taj Mahal of dirt and quickly became just another track.

"They deserve a $30k to win show" Really? A class that is 'supposed' be keeping costs down.

As for KLMS whatever. It was the Taj Mahal of dirt and quickly became just another track.
    You must be really upset about the mod races all around the country that pay more than that.

I totally agree with you on modifieds being a class that was supposed to keep costs down. I also believe that they have hurt the late models the most and now a days most a modifieds cost just as much. Then they came up with b modifieds (or whatever places call them) and they were supposed to mainly use up used a modifieds chassis , tires, etc.. Well that sure hasn't happened, now they buy all new stuff.

Can't we just be happy a new dirt track is opening? Sheesh.

It’s an opinion based forum, and I gave you mine without being a d!ck. But sure sunshine, I’ll break it down for ya. In parts of the country, modifieds, whether it’s UMP style, or big blocks, are number one, not late models. I know, shocker, but that’s the case.

A roller top UMP modified is $25k+, motor, $15-$30k, rearend $1500-$2k, and so on. Your analogy is not any good. They are like AAA, single A would be stocks or two barrel mods.

KLMS looked like a Taj Mahal, you are correct, does not change the fact that the original owner doomed the place, and imminent domain sealed the deal.

Doesn’t have to make sense, they will do what’s profitable. Big money mod races draw a lot of cars. Some of the big money late races do not. It is a business, if you aren’t making money, you’ll end up like most shuttered tracks.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

You guys don't know USRA (USMTS) Modifieds then. There running $40,000 motors or they can't keep up. There cost isn't much less than Super Late Models.

I am interested to see how this track does and after looking at the classes they plan on running it has me wondering what kind of turn out they will have in their super truck division

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    You guys don't know USRA (USMTS) Modifieds then. There running $40,000 motors or they can't keep up. There cost isn't much less than Super Late Models.
    I’m fully aware of USMTS and the Summit He!! Tour deal. And the countless big races emerging for mods.

They should exist, and they are profitable, why they exist. Some of us are just 10-20 years behind the times. Atomic is going to pay weekly lates very well, and I don’t think even they are going to draw a good count.

The bigger mod races at SNMS used to draw very good fields. I'd imagine they draw similar or better fields at Vado.

And they do run open late models down that way, but there isn't much in the way of cars. They'll get like 16-20 cars. At least they did at SNMS, but the new track is going to be drawing from the same area, so I'd guess it'll be the same at the new place.
    Last edited by Josh Bayko; 03-14-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

My understanding of usmts is open motor or 604 crate and show on mavTV says most run the crate motor

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    That's a little far fetched. We run USRA Mods and I don't know of anyone running a $40k engine. We have 15k in ours and won 11 races last year, 14 the year before and kept up with several of the top USMTS guys just fine. Some of those guys may be spending about 25k but not 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    My understanding of usmts is open motor or 604 crate and show on mavTV says most run the crate motor
    USMTS you can run Open (18 deg Alum head), spec (spec usmts/usra untouched alum head), 604 crate, concept (small CI spec motor) , or CT525 crate.

I'd say 90% run the spec motor. With the hard tires we run, you can only hook up so much HP. The spec motors max out around 680 HP.

Didnt know I was being a d!ck but thanks for pointing it out. Sorry to offend ya.

Check back with me in 3 years when the mod counts drop to the LM counts now because they priced themselves out as well.

Enjoy racing while you can my friend.

ricky thornton runs the same car in imca and open/usmts races.

Quote Originally Posted by chopter View Post
    ricky thornton runs the same car in imca and open/usmts races.
    Correct, same car but different motors.

I've sat and personally watched 5 Pro Power engines dropped of at trailers at Deer Creek Speedway. If Jason Krohn has a used Sputs motor for $28,000 what does that mean? Rodney Sanders had a used motor on his site for $24,000. I know both of these guys pretty good, there $35,000-$40,000 new.