Thread: motor question

Default motor question

just got my motor back put timing light on mark is jumping around so much can't get a true timing i have a 2 piece cloyes timing cover on it and a msd dist 8551 never had this problem before any ideals what i might be doing wrong? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hipower17 View Post
    just got my motor back put timing light on mark is jumping around so much can't get a true timing i have a 2 piece cloyes timing cover on it and a msd dist 8551 never had this problem before any ideals what i might be doing wrong? thanks
    Assume it's a roller cam, do you have a positive stop on the timing cover to keep it from flexing and letting the cam move forward/back some? Like a stop on water pump that adjusts to the cover or a billet stiff timing cover (that may be what the 2 piece cover is - stiff).

Also check end play on dizzy and polarity on MSD box

Few things off top of my head, besides another timing light (even a cheap non adjustable one to check it still moves a bunch)

I also assume someone set the end play on camshaft
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 03-25-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Might check inside distributor. Make sure no problems with advance mechanism unless you have it locked out. Possibly slip collar not set right causing excess distributor gear lash?

what type of timing light are you using? i had a dial type do this exact same thing you describe , went back to a old school strobe light and never had another problem......

Polarity on the MSD box would be my bet.

Just say no...

You want the light inductive pickup near the plug...not at the cap.

it is near the plug. i use the old stroblight type, explain the polarity answer please.
    the dist is locked out. i thank you all for your suggestions

If your using a pickup in the distributor and not a crank trigger the pickup wires should be purple and black to green, and orange and black to purple. If it's backwards the box acts very erratic and inconsistent

I've had issues with the heavy racing plug wires before. I always swap out #1 plug wire with an old stock one I have laying around.