Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brownstown DQ

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    yes, yes it does.....maybe they can give him a polygraph to clear his name.
    Smdh.

The dreaded tire farce again, it can't go away soon enough.
    I hear ya an agree its long past being old at this point

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    Doesn't in seem pretty strange for a guy like Kent to do this at a 5k to win show? From what I can tell he strikes me as one of the more respected drivers amongst his peers sorta speak???
    Yes, and he’s been running big shows with tire tests for how long now??

Im with you BBQ, these guys are usually bolting a new rr rf on for a 10k race anyway, and with technology the way they got they got the cars gripping the track, in a 50-100 lapper whos to say you cant juice a tire too much and it fade in the late going...so im not sure juicing can be perfected down to an exact science anyway...

The whole thing just gets dumber and dumber every year it happens.......and nobody wanting to just man up and say why they test for juiced tires to begin with.

Even though most everyone knows why and who mandates it.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Kent says they switched cleaners and they thing that’s what it is

It makes them last longer. LOL. Yep, that's why there doing it. Good one.

Who gives a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) what they put on the tires? Let them put everything from Elmer's Glue to Agent Orange on it if they think it gives them an advantage. Tire rules are stupid. A guy should be able to bolt 35 inch Super Swampers on his car if he thinks that's what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    Doesn't in seem pretty strange for a guy like Kent to do this at a 5k to win show? From what I can tell he strikes me as one of the more respected drivers amongst his peers sorta speak???
    There is always the chance that K-Rob didn't even know that the tires were illegal. Meaning the crew were totally to blame. But really????

Yes he has that nice guy image. And it makes it very hard for some to accept reality.

I really don't know if he knew the tires were illegal or not, though.

My opinion is that treating tires should be legal. But also, If there are dangerous chemicals found in them then there should be severe penalties. I can't see where using dangerous chemicals can be allowed period for treating tires.

How many safe chemicals or substances are there that are nearly as good though.

Before UMP came about, the tires had a 13" width limit, and instead of a 92" circumference limit some tires were up up 108", maybe even larger around than that.

Not that this info has anything to do with treating tires though.

Quote Originally Posted by NormP View Post
    Who gives a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) what they put on the tires? Let them put everything from Elmer's Glue to Agent Orange on it if they think it gives them an advantage. Tire rules are stupid. A guy should be able to bolt 35 inch Super Swampers on his car if he thinks that's what he needs.
    Thanks Norm. I spit my sweet tea about the Super Swampers………...

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    There is always the chance that K-Rob didn't even know that the tires were illegal. Meaning the crew were totally to blame. But really????

Yes he has that nice guy image. And it makes it very hard for some to accept reality.

I could by it I guess, noticed he mentions alot in his interviews how much he relies on other people because of his own work schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post

Nobody is ever really sure most of the time.....and that's the problem.

Won't ever happen but to solve the tire questions I think the series ( or its tire provider) should supply at a fair price race ready tires in a few different compounds on race day to the pros and let the local guys run the tires they can afford to run if they chose to race against them in a slm event..........

The tire rule is stoooooooopid.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Replying to the peanut gallery, i cant use quotes, but nevertheless.

Here is reality, so brace yourself.

Softener helps used tires last longer, that statement is not fully valid. What i should of said is, it makes used tires remain fast longer, you can run them down to the cords. We have it figured out a tire will fall off on the stop watch after 3 times out on the track, the sidewalls break down and they get slow. May still have tread, but nothing will bring that sidewall stiffness back. Hence the use of sidewall stiffners...

Nothing is as fast as a new tire, with it properly cut for the track, and proper compound of course.

So if your running a 10k to win race, and your able to win, your on new rubber, always. There are unusual tracks that like scuffed in stuff, and hard tracks where a cured up tire can be good, but by and large its new, at all times.

So do the math, your on a Tire deal for $125 a tire. Thats $500 to spend for a $5000 to win, and the LF you can do with out usuaully. Thats a good deal, if you think you can win it. SO the guys that are fast, there on new tires.

Now do that with the heat race, and the feature. Wear and tear elsewhere, oils and other maintenance. Pluis the grind on the Engine, which is usually about $7 to $10 a lap is a good number. Easy to see if your not running well, your going backwards.

Just say no...

I understand/agree with your theory of trying to get the most life out of a tire but a very high percentage of the guys winning these races have never bought a used race tire in their career. So IMO the reason why guys prep their tires is solely for maximum traction/bite for as many laps as possible and then throw it away. That was my Captain Obvious statement I know. Getting drivers to talk about who is prepping their tires is like trying to get athletes to talk about teammates using HGH-steroids-PEDs. Not gonna happen.

I have not seen a ( what I call a lower budget) team win a bigger show for quite a while and probably won't.

Don't know what the answer is to making the testing process fool proof but I'm pretty confident in it myself. It is not a difficult process but some like to make it out to be for their own reasons. Several guys that have had a tire come back hot don't seem to run as well afterwards for awhile..

I'd like to know more about the sidewall stiffeners also. It was a short lived hot topic last year.

IMO Hoosier supplies samples of brand new tires. Depending on the tire, it's been heated several times, ran on several different tracks and there's no way the compound is exactly the same as when it left Hoosier. If a tire is a couple of years old, still good and guys run it are they at risk? Not everyone puts brand new tires around the car for every race.

I understand what your saying about the softener for grip, a new tire for the condition plus the sauce is probably super fast, no idea here LOL.

The one thing that leads me to believe that most guys are on the up and up, is the mounting of tires. If your running a Lucas show, most of the work in the day time is mounting tires. There is simply no time to juice the tires up. These National and Regional guys are mounting 8 to 10 tires a weekend. Takes me about an hour or better to mount and prep a M20/40. The ribbed 1350s are a nightmare, thats 2 hours plus.

Im telling you from my experiences, were just local working racers, just doing what we can to have fun. So you may be correct. I work 40 plus hours a week and can barely keep up with a race car, let alone softening tires and everything else that goes on with it.

Now, just thinking out loud here. If i had the means, you could cut and groove a set for a Lucas show at the shop. Say 2 sets. Then when you get there for qualifing etc you run the juiced up stuff then, and by the time your to the features your running new stuff thats clean. So you can tech ok, i know one thing Racers will go to all ends to get them Ws.

Just say no...

The part I don't understand was when he said they swapped cleaners. If everybody is putting brand new tires on who the hell is cleaning brand new tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar DLM View Post
    The part I don't understand was when he said they swapped cleaners. If everybody is putting brand new tires on who the hell is cleaning brand new tires?
    Because tires are made with a lot of different chemicals and products, including oil. So you clean them very well to get rid of all the slime, give you best grip possible.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.