Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eldora

Default Eldora

Planning our first trip to the Dream.
    A few questions to those who frequent the major events.

Reading a lot of the golf cart rules and restrictions, would I be better off leaving it at home? Don't want to tow it 7 hours just to not be able to use it. I can deal with getting the insurance on it but if I camp at Northside or the Village I can't take it to the track??

Speaking of camping which is the best or is there any difference? Looks like Lot 5, Northside, and Village all have availability still so that's what I have to choose from. And can we run generators all night as long as they aren't turning 10 grand? We have a quiet honda style and hope to be able to run it all night, Ohio in June is pretty hot after all.

Any other recommendations? Thanks

*FYI our first choice for this years race trip was PDC but obviously its already sold out.

You can bring in your own food and coolers which is nice. Food is cheap and affordable if you do buy at the track, but you may have to wait in long lines. I found the golf cart was more of a hassle to bring and buy a permit and all that.

Eldora is a great time and you will thoroughly enjoy it. Make sure you buy a pit pass for the extra 5 bucks as it is cool to check out different views from the infield during hot laps and qualifying.
    Any other recommendations? Thanks

Also going to Eldora for the 1st time for the Dream.

Why is using a Golf Cart is a hassle? We are camping in Lot 5.

If you're on the Eldora property carts are fine. If you are in one of the lots across the street from the track you can drive to a designated spot in the campground you are staying in but you can't drive it across the road to get to the track. Foods cheap...beers cold...racing is Eldora.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember

If you camp at Speedy, and the weekend is postponed, you will have to pay again on the make-up date. Just something to keep in mind.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Northside camping is where I like it best and I wouldn't bother with a golf cart because Ohio law doesnt allow you to cross the highway to the track property. Your quiet generator will be just fine. The rules were made for the all out noisy ones. I have been going there and racing crewing and camping since 1991 so I have lots of Eldora experience. Any questions feel free to ask. Personally I like the World 100 a lot better but that's just me.

A chain or two to lock up your belongings

We camp at Speedy, have sine 2006. I like it because of the grass lots and they have free water you can fill the camper with if you bring a drum and transfer pump, been doing this since 08. That saves us about $40 for the weekend with all the crew we bring, plus nice hot showers on site if you're tent camping.

We Glamp so having free water fill ups on site means we can shower, cook, etc. and not worry about water. We do come in Thursday AM and leave Sunday with a good amount of people.

As for Golf Cart as they said, if you camp at Eldora Village or Speedy you park across the road and walk about 100 yards to the gates. If you are in Lot 5 I think you can drive up to the gates.

Biggest thing is camping at Eldora Village or Speedy your camper stays clean. We've been as close as row 3 at Speedy and camper still barely gets dust. Camping north of the track and you can plan a full day cleaning a camper and tow vehicle.

As for the generator and golfcart, just bring chains. Before I even start our generator up I lock it to my camper. The golf cart stealing has been light lately, it's gotten bad at Portsmouth however. We pull our key and disconnect the battery at night but haven't had issues. We did have someone turn our old generator off back in the day, but never an issue now.

Get a pit pass for qualifying and watch inside of turns 1/2 one night, trust me. Then go up for the heat races, I recommend turns 1/2 but that's just where we've had the best luck.

Seats will not sell out so GA will work in about any corner you want. Beer is cheap, cold, and plentiful. Grab a Toilet Water Saturday night from the frontstand bar just to say you had one. You can take small coolers in with food and pop, just no beer.

Enjoy

Pulling key helps but some camper side compartments key works on golf cart as buying new from amazon. Think Yamaha only has 2 keys total. Stupid little things ya learn over the years. Portsmouth area not shocking, they'll steal ya blind for drugs in Southern Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Pulling key helps but some camper side compartments key works on golf cart as buying new from amazon. Think Yamaha only has 2 keys total. Stupid little things ya learn over the years. Portsmouth area not shocking, they'll steal ya blind for drugs in Southern Ohio
    You're correct, most carts use the same key for same generations. All easily available on Ebay. Heck, CAT heavy duty stuff used to all take the same key I believe.

But yeah, chain up anything you really like, even at Eldora.

Definitely bring chain! The heavier the better. Our group lost 2 generators in consecutive year's at the World Hundred and they were both securely anchored with 5/16" grade 40 high test chain. Bolt cutters made quick work of both chains. I would suggest 3/8" grade 100 alloy or even 1/2" diameter cable with the clamp nuts welded to the clamp. Use bolt cutter resistant padlocks, too. Don't use the cheap ones.

Just be cognizant of the fact that there are thieves that double as race fans among you and take the proper precautions!

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Madcat View Post
    You're correct, most carts use the same key for same generations. All easily available on Ebay. Heck, CAT heavy duty stuff used to all take the same key I believe.

But yeah, chain up anything you really like, even at Eldora.
    Every heavy equipment brand is that way. Newer stuff on some takes no key, just a code. Others install HID security cards plus the key.

Volvo has at least 2 keys, older and newer. Deere trackhoes take a different key than older loaders and backhoes. Pretty sure Komatsu is all the same key. As well as CAT.

My loader currently is just a 4 digit code.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Every heavy equipment brand is that way. Newer stuff on some takes no key, just a code. Others install HID security cards plus the key.

Volvo has at least 2 keys, older and newer. Deere trackhoes take a different key than older loaders and backhoes. Pretty sure Komatsu is all the same key. As well as CAT.

My loader currently is just a 4 digit code.
    Agricultural equipment is much the same way. A John Deere key would work in virtually every row crop model from 1973 through 1996. They changed the key in 1997 but it was still a universal cab and ignition key up until about 10 or 12 years ago. I'm not sure if they went to individualized keys at that time.

It's to bad you have to worry about all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Definitely bring chain! The heavier the better. Our group lost 2 generators in consecutive year's at the World Hundred and they were both securely anchored with 5/16" grade 40 high test chain. Bolt cutters made quick work of both chains. I would suggest 3/8" grade 100 alloy or even 1/2" diameter cable with the clamp nuts welded to the clamp. Use bolt cutter resistant padlocks, too. Don't use the cheap ones.

Just be cognizant of the fact that there are thieves that double as race fans among you and take the proper precautions!

Have fun!
    Maybe set some land mines??????

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post

Have fun!
    Which campground were you staying in when this happened?

Quote Originally Posted by TUTY View Post
    It's to bad you have to worry about all this stuff.
    You got that right, TUTY! Thievery is a way of life and it seems that the prevailing wisdom is if you don't take all the precautions to thwart the thieves you're at fault, not the thieves. Stealing has become normalized, it seems. We haven't been to Eldora for either of the 2 big late model races since the second genset was stolen. That was in 2006 or 2007. We still go to the 4 Crown Nationals every year but don't take the camper since we only go for the USAC portion on Saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt junkie View Post
    Which campground were you staying in when this happened?
    The one straight west of the ballroom on the west side of Rt. 118.

Been to every dream since new format in 2013 I believe it was and a few world 100s. Never had anything stolen from me or any of my groups that I know that attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Maybe set some land mines??????
    Nope, it was easier (and cheaper!!) to just stay home!

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Been to every dream since new format in 2013 I believe it was and a few world 100s. Never had anything stolen from me or any of my groups that I know that attend.
    Here ya' go, Ryan21mid. It appears that since 2013 Stewart allows only honest race fans to attend Eldora. Prolly 'cause it's easy to tell the difference!