Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cut Down RF Brake Pad

Some guys run a cut down rf brake pad to reduce the braking on that corner of the car is that a good thing to do or will it loosen the car up too much on entry just looking for some opinions?

I have seen late model setup books that tell you to change out master cylinders for the front or rear as the track changes. rf cutoff valves are pretty common on a dirt car in any class. I don't see why using different brake pads to affect the handling of the car would be any different than the changes that I have listed. If the car is tight on entry, I would say that using and aggressive pad on the lf and a less aggressive pad on the rf would be an acceptable correction to your handling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by racing08 View Post
    Some guys run a cut down rf brake pad to reduce the braking on that corner of the car is that a good thing to do or will it loosen the car up too much on entry just looking for some opinions?
    Friction force is independent of surface area. If you decrease surface area, you increase pressure. Friction only is affected by coefficient of friction and normal force. You would need a different pad material to make a difference. Unless you made the area small enough to overheat the pad. Then it would not make a difference until the pad was cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by racing08 View Post
    Ive done a couple different things on stock cars depending on the rules. Ive put a rivet head, with diff size holes, in the line at the frame fitting and Ive put a brass needle valve. Of course, you'll have to experiment a little with the adj on the valve.

yes I always cut them down on the rf, since 1997, I also always ran organic on the rf.. dirt and pavement racing.

Thanks for the info guys I currently have my rf pad cut down and its just a stock pad what Im looking to do is tighten the car on entry when its dry so I thought about putting a full pad on which would be the same compound as the other 3 corner do I need to be concerned about the rf wheel trying to lock up on the slick?

The thought process should be, will the heaviest loaded tire, on entry, on the front, lock up first?
    Last edited by 95shaw; 05-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Ok 95shaw now that you say that Im not concerned never looked at it that way for some reason

The balance of traction at the front should be the real consideration for limiting braking forces at the right front.

Glad you caught my drift.

This here is a case of thinking something works, so in your head it does. An old racing wives tale as well.

Where do you cut the pads down? In the center? Outside edges?

Quote Originally Posted by smokem2024 View Post
    Where do you cut the pads down? In the center? Outside edges?
    I'd leave the material as far from the Piston as possible. That way the metal part of the pad will warp and cause your pistons to have side load in their bores. Then your pistons will egg the bores. This will cause leakage. Then you will finally have less brakes at that wheel.

You need pad material over the piston, you dont need any out on the ends unless your rules dont allow grinding the pads.

Thanks for the info.

One thing I have done in the past which technically would be legal if you can't cut pads is to have someone with a brake lathe cut grooves into the rotor, therefore reducing friction surface.

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    One thing I have done in the past which technically would be legal if you can't cut pads is to have someone with a brake lathe cut grooves into the rotor, therefore reducing friction surface.
    Getting the gas out from under the pad INCREASES braking.

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    Grooves in the rotor would give you MORE surface area and more braking..

------------ normal rotor

grooves on a lathe ---^--^--^-- GAINING surface area

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Grooves in the rotor would give you MORE surface area and more braking..------------ normal rotorgrooves on a lathe ---^--^--^-- GAINING surface area
    Friction is still independent of surface area. And dependent on normal force.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    Friction is still independent of surface area. And dependent on normal force.
    your a idiot congrats you made my ignore list, seen enough of your stupid posts on here, why not go get a hobby this isnt yahoo chat this is all but dead forum for help what was your last user name and the one before that and the one before that on here?

bye bye felicia