Thread: Kuntz & Company

Default Kuntz & Company

Just received a message that Jim Kuntz has passed away. First we lost Joe Garrison and now Mr Jim. We still have 2 of his engines. I don't know what to say. Thats 2 legends of our sport that has passed in the last couple of weeks. My condolences to the Kuntz family. He will be missed.

slmcrewchief99

hate to hear this , i have had good dealings with them over the years , the 57 car at TST has one of there engines running now, RIP Mr. Kuntz.........

I live within earshot of Kuntz and Company. Cannot be a mile as the crow flies. News travels fast here and I had not heard this. I have texted people and looked on FB,and nobody from here was saying anything. Wow,this is a shocker. Sure hate to hear it!!
    Formerly 66#1

Very sad. Just bought a new engine from him at the end of last year that's in my car now. Very good man that had a ton of knowledge on any kind engine. He had retired a few years ago but was back helping full time. Prayers for the entire Kuntz family

Charlie Cole

Wow. My Dad and I used to go out to Long Ford here WAY back in the day and talk to Jim. It was back when he had a Super Cobra Jet Torino that is still around today. My Dad would see him here in a local donut shop pretty regularly,but it had been a while before he came in just last Thursday. He had sold the shop here,went to work for Gwatney Performance,and then came back to work at Kuntz and Company as an employee. I might be missing a step or two. Somebody tell me different if I'm wrong.

I remember when he and former business partner Keith Craft won the US Nationals in '82 or so in Stock or Super Stock with a Mustang driven by the late SE Buchannon.

I've always been a Chevrolet person,but it was pretty cool to have two of the top Ford engine builders right here in the same small town. Keith Craft split from Kuntz in the early 90's to open his own shop which is now Craft Performance Engines under new ownership.

As others have said,he was good with all sorts of engines in various forms of racing. He actually had/has a beautiful C6 Corvette,and also had a pretty hot late model Silverado. He found success in the LS platforms here lately. My wife had spotted him not long ago in a VERY nice 67-72 Chevy C10.

I love to be outside and hear Kuntz and Company dynoing an engine. It is 2.25 miles in an absolutely straight line from my house to the shop. I have no trouble hearing them! Our other house was further away,and I had no trouble hearing them there as well.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends!
    Formerly 66#1

Quote Originally Posted by AllenK View Post
    Wow. My Dad and I used to go out to Long Ford here WAY back in the day and talk to Jim. It was back when he had a Super Cobra Jet Torino that is still around today. My Dad would see him here in a local donut shop pretty regularly,but it had been a while before he came in just last Thursday. He had sold the shop here,went to work for Gwatney Performance,and then came back to work at Kuntz and Company as an employee. I might be missing a step or two. Somebody tell me different if I'm wrong.

I remember when he and former business partner Keith Craft won the US Nationals in '82 or so in Stock or Super Stock with a Mustang driven by the late SE Buchannon.

I've always been a Chevrolet person,but it was pretty cool to have two of the top Ford engine builders right here in the same small town. Keith Craft split from Kuntz in the early 90's to open his own shop which is now Craft Performance Engines under new ownership.

As others have said,he was good with all sorts of engines in various forms of racing. He actually had/has a beautiful C6 Corvette,and also had a pretty hot late model Silverado. He found success in the LS platforms here lately. My wife had spotted him not long ago in a VERY nice 67-72 Chevy C10.

I love to be outside and hear Kuntz and Company dynoing an engine. It is 2.25 miles in an absolutely straight line from my house to the shop. I have no trouble hearing them! Our other house was further away,and I had no trouble hearing them there as well.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends!
    Good taste in vehicles Mr Kuntz had. Just for giggles, I’ve looked up the new Silverados with a Callaway kit on them. Jeez. His engine work plus a supercharger, lol. I bet his Vette and old truck were tough. And the Torino, dang.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

CNB,there was a FB post that had the Torino in it. I can't find it now. The Silverado was older than I thought. It had the throttle body engine,but they never could get it to do right. They went with an LS swap,and I think it was pretty stout! Gwatney Performance Innovations,the company Jim went to work for and who bought the Arkadelphia engine shop,is one of the best tuning shops in the country. They don't mess around. Ryan Stevens is a bad man.
    I don't know if he still had the Corvette,or if it had any work done to it.

Obituary is now online:

https://www.rollerfuneralhomes.com/s...B88ywkuX_aEKHM

In addition to Kuntz and Joe Garrison,Donna Reed Jones died recently. She was the ticket lady at I30 Speedway for many years. I believe her brother is Racingfool32 on here IIRC.
    Formerly 66#1