Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 377 sbc

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    its like every thing else over4t , its according to what you are trying tomy buddies ran those do with it , i did some work for a guy that asphalt raced a limited type car that required a bone stock crank shaft , every one stuck with a 350 crank because of the junk 400 crank breaking , but my guy wanted to stay with the 400 crank because he was winning races , we finally figured out that after about 20 races , the 400 crank started to spider web(crack) so every 15 races we would swap the crank , he killed them for 2 years till they changed the rules to an aftermarket crank.......
    My buddies ran those 400 cranks one season then went on the scrap heap....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

lizard , from my experience , the early 350 casting with just 010 were the best , they had less core shift ( did your guy in the foundry explain this ) and could easily be bored .060 and have good cylinder wall all the way around , now the later block with 010 and 020 were junk IMO , most you see had bad to terrible core shift , which meant thin cylinder walls on one side were thinner and some could not be bored even .030 , i figured most of these were jiged up on monday by the factory machinist.......lol.....
    The best I can remember from the conversation right now is during ALL machining operations, the block was clamped down on its machining pallet as it passed through the 28-station line, located by two master gauge holes - one in the pan rail below the fuel pump boss, and another one in the middle of the starter pad. Regardless of core shift, the cam bearing bores and lifter bores will always have the same relationship to one another. There will be some variation between machined surfaces and cast surfaces as a result of core shift, but none between machined surfaces. Core shift is just that, the multi piece mold got shifted around a bit. Probably because humans were involved and some were done on Mondays and Fridays. The biggest thing to remember in all of this is that GM never did anything it didn't have too to get past the warranty period and build in some life on top of that. They build production cars that pick up groceries and pick up kids and need to be reliable enough for that. Anything else just isn't what they were after.

i was always curious why there was no evidence of core shift on the 307 blocks , an old man that helped me years ago loved the 307 block because of this , he bored them to a 350 and swore they were a lot better than a regular 350 block, i have 3 old 307 block stashed away and i looked at them a while back and the ring i was referring to earlier was even all the way around , i have 10 or so 010 350 blocks and only a few are like this....by the way , we have tested the ring thickness theory on the cylinders with a sonic tester and it holds true , if that surface is thinner on one side , the cylinders will be to. maybe those locating points you are talking about were not properly done and caused the core to be shifted on the milling machine,s......

i was always curious why there was no evidence of core shift on the 307 blocks , an old man that helped me years ago loved the 307 block because of this , he bored them to a 350 and swore they were a lot better than a regular 350 block, i have 3 old 307 block stashed away and i looked at them a while back and the ring i was referring to earlier was even all the way around , i have 10 or so 010 350 blocks and only a few are like this....by the way , we have tested the ring thickness theory on the cylinders with a sonic tester and it holds true , if that surface is thinner on one side , the cylinders will be to. maybe those locating points you are talking about were not properly done and caused the core to be shifted on the milling machine,s......
    I used a lot of 307 blocks to make 311's and all of them are way thinner on wall thickness at a 4" bore then a 350 block was. May not had much core shift but they wasn't thicker or even as thick as a 350 when taken out to 4"

maybe the old man had figured out that a thin wall would dissipate heat way back then , because my understanding is thats what brought about the thinner 350 castings that came later IDK......

I ran across a 509 block a guy want's to sell and says it's a standard bore. The numbers on the block are 3951509 and 2 freeze plugs. Sound like a good place to start for a 377 with the right machine work and assembly ?

Quote Originally Posted by badfast47 View Post
    I ran across a 509 block a guy want's to sell and says it's a standard bore. The numbers on the block are 3951509 and 2 freeze plugs. Sound like a good place to start for a 377 with the right machine work and assembly ?
    And some decent parts! lol...…...Our shop built quite a few of those for mods many years ago. Had great success using Eagle bottom end, Mahle pistons, and Dart heads.

Our shop owner was a world champion drag racer, and he really liked the 377's. I don't remember the term he always used, but it related to the size of the bore and stroke being closer together. Maybe someone on here does!

"I don't remember the term he always used, but it related to the size of the bore and stroke being closer together. Maybe someone on here does!"

I heard that theory a long time ago also. Worked for a LM owner who swore by 4" bore, 4" stroke engines. They did run good.

lighter crank
    wind up quicker
    easier on bottom end webbing
    less stress on cylinder walls due to less stroke.
    less torque to help with traction up off corner in slick

I believe most competitive wide bore motors are being de-stroked to help with drivability for same reason.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    "I don't remember the term he always used, but it related to the size of the bore and stroke being closer together. Maybe someone on here does!"I heard that theory a long time ago also. Worked for a LM owner who swore by 4" bore, 4" stroke engines. They did run good.
    Probably "over square"

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Probably "over square"
    That sounds correct!