Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hudson has made the comment more than once. He'd like to drive a sprint car, I think if the opportunity ever came along that is were you may see him. For now, I'm sure, for his age he is quite happy driving a SLM on the Lucas tour. Personally I always said Ole bloomie should be looking at this kid to take over the seat of the team 0 car. O well, his lose.

also, larson got to cup with help from the drive for diversity program. not saying that alone did it but it got his foot in the door early

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Yep its money now a days. While it has always been money to a certain extent, is it getting harder to make it on talent? It seems sprint car type racing is more likely to get attention than DLM. Lately Chris Bell and Kyle Larson for sure. A few other drivers made it through talent and breaks too. I truly don't know the details on how many of others made it to Nascar, but there is a path, how much money comes, I am not always sure. Nascar is getting better at finding outstanding talent though. DLM just have never produced that many Nascar drivers so far. One thing for Sure. Bryon, Bell, Larson, Eric Jones, Cole Custer got noticed and there have been others. Blaney and Elliot had connections but they are top of the line, with or without help. Its tricky I guess, but there seems to be a lot of ways to get attention these days.
    Cole Custer didn't "Get Noticed" lol.

His dad is the CEO of Haas F1 Team, and President of Stewart-Haas Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    also, larson got to cup with help from the drive for diversity program. not saying that alone did it but it got his foot in the door early
    From my understanding, the D4D program is acts like a sponsor and gets you a free ride or discounted ride with a program team in K&N. Again, my understanding was Chip Ganassi signed Kyle before or as he entered the program. Chip was willing to take a chance on him, but it's partially because Chip knew he didn't have bank roll him that year in K&N cars.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    Cole Custer didn't "Get Noticed" lol.

His dad is the CEO of Haas F1 Team, and President of Stewart-Haas Racing.
    Ok, I didn't realize that. I said I was not sure about some of the situations.

If a door to Nascar comes open, most any driver will be excited to go through that door. Don't kid yourselves. However, many times drivers do not see that door opening and opt for other achievements
    That is also a smart thing to do. I really think many posters are ready to bury Nascar and that could not be further from reality IMO. Just so i am clear, I grew up loving Sprints and LM'S on dirt and still do. I also like Nascar, and while it has taken its lumps, it is far from dead. Indy car has suffered more than Nascar. I am sad about that too.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Ok, I didn't realize that. I said I was not sure about some of the situations.
    That is one of the major problems with Nascar, when a guy like Custer can have dad buy a ride. I would say some of the few who have actually made it on talent are Larson, Chris Bell, Erik Jones. Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) had his ride paid for and there are fifty late model drivers I can think of who are better than him. Ty Majeski and Bubba Pollard are some asphalt guys who deserve a shot. The rest of them I would say not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by champion24 View Post
    Brad K was probably the last driver to get a solid ride without $$!! Larson, Bell, others at least have/had OEM $$ behind them to get in!
    I'd be curious to know what exactly OEM money is. Larson had much of his dirt success driving midgets that were powered by Toyota engines. Do ya' suppose Toyota paid for him to get a ride for a Chevrolet team? That's richly ironic, wouldn't ya' say.

Larson got noticed because he's the best all around dirt driver since the days of Hewitt and Stewart. The first time he ever raced a full bodied stock car he won, on asphalt, no less. As a rookie he won the K&N All Pro Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    Like I said, it's documented Ganassi approached the Larson family before Larson had even a whiff of a NASCAR. Lets just say it was the diversity deal that got Larson all that money to go drive for Ganassi and not his talent and guts. How is it that CBell and Chase Briscoe got where they are? Neither of their family's have "buy a ride" money and neither have a smidgen of minority lineage. Briscoe won the ARCA championship with authority in 2016 winning 6 races, 4 in a row. It's safe to say that is what got Briscoe noticed because even though his background is dirt open wheel racing he wasn't nearly as impressive as Larson & Bell in dirt open wheel cars.

Hud has one impressive outing in a wingless 410 at Brownstown, but his midget efforts have been less than stellar. Bottom line is if Hud is good enough and puts up the gaudy win numbers in the big races he'll get noticed, money or no money.

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    That is one of the major problems with Nascar, when a guy like Custer can have dad buy a ride. I would say some of the few who have actually made it on talent are Larson, Chris Bell, Erik Jones. Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) had his ride paid for and there are fifty late model drivers I can think of who are better than him. Ty Majeski and Bubba Pollard are some asphalt guys who deserve a shot. The rest of them I would say not so much.
    I am surprised about how well Red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) has done so far. Right now I am wondering what happens with Bell, who has got to get a top team ride or else he will not be able to show just how great his potential is. I am saying, looking around, I am not sure what happens. I would have to figure something is in the works. No way does this guy belong in the current series he is in for another year.

I asked hud a couple years ago what he liked better asphalt or dirt since he had ran both and he said definatly dirt

Hudson O’Neal would win in a kunz midget

Those Kunz rides have a pay to play element to em too.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I'd be curious to know what exactly OEM money is. Larson had much of his dirt success driving midgets that were powered by Toyota engines. Do ya' suppose Toyota paid for him to get a ride for a Chevrolet team? That's richly ironic, wouldn't ya' say.

Larson got noticed because he's the best all around dirt driver since the days of Hewitt and Stewart. The first time he ever raced a full bodied stock car he won, on asphalt, no less. As a rookie he won the K&N All Pro Championship.

Like I said, it's documented Ganassi approached the Larson family before Larson had even a whiff of a NASCAR. Lets just say it was the diversity deal that got Larson all that money to go drive for Ganassi and not his talent and guts. How is it that CBell and Chase Briscoe got where they are? Neither of their family's have "buy a ride" money and neither have a smidgen of minority lineage. Briscoe won the ARCA championship with authority in 2016 winning 6 races, 4 in a row. It's safe to say that is what got Briscoe noticed because even though his background is dirt open wheel racing he wasn't nearly as impressive as Larson & Bell in dirt open wheel cars.

Hud has one impressive outing in a wingless 410 at Brownstown, but his midget efforts have been less than stellar. Bottom line is if Hud is good enough and puts up the gaudy win numbers in the big races he'll get noticed, money or no money.
    And if Larson ever gets away from Ganassi they would see how good he really is, just my thoughts

What is this "we" business????

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Those Kunz rides have a pay to play element to em too.
    Oh for sure... just saying Helen Keller would have a shot in one of those rides. Kyle Larson, Christopher bell, chase briscoe, tyler red(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), Erik Jones, and any other young nascar driver has been in top notch equipment since they have started racing. The absolute truth is there are drivers at your local track with much more talent then most of the nascar drivers. This is the only sport where money is needed to display your true talents and potential.

My best friend Jim was pretty tight with Dale Jr thru sim racing. He asked Dale to drive one of his late models (he had a solid street stock and kart record). Dale Jr said it would cost him 5k per race and would get a test session and a say at the shop to get fitted in the car. Dale Jr was nice enough to get Iracing to throw 5k in and Jim's parents threw in 5k.
    The two races were ran in the same night at motor mile (twin 100's) he finished better than Dale Jr's hired gun in both races after constant nagging on the radio from LW Miller to not wreck the car and not to make a habit of using the apron to turn it.
    He finished 8th in the first race and 6th in the second race in his first time out.
    Dale Jr called him and congratulated him on some good runs and said "bring 100k to the table and we'll run a whole season."

I say that to say this, NASCAR's business model sucks and there are plenty of people you see racing on TV that shouldn't be at the level they are.
    If DLM racing paved a way to NASCAR you would see the same business model, but for now it's a tax write off for rich guys who own septic companies, chassis companies, car dealerships etc.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    If a driver has enough talent, guts and persistence it's still possible to attain a NASCAR ride without bringing a pile of cash. I can name no less than 3 drivers who are competing right now in the top two divisions of NASCAR whose family's did not bankroll their NASCAR opportunities. 1 of those 3 drivers is 2nd in the Infinity point standings and another is 6th. One of those 3 drivers received a million dollar winners share at Charlotte, NC Saturday night.
    The 3 drivers your referring to came thru driver development programs in open wheel, mainly midgets. The powers that be aren't looking at DLM for driving talent these days, the "trend" is thru open wheel and mainly KKM. Regardless of Hud's talent, which he has in spades, if he wants to get noticed for Nascar he needs to put some time in, in a midget and more than just the chilli bowl, he'll need to leave DLM to be noticed. Sadly those are the facts as I see it today.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Id expect Bell to be in Cup next year. There have been rumors about Levine, who is a Gibbs-affiliated team, adding a 2nd Cup car next year. With Gibbs having a full roster that makes the most sense.

If I were a hotshot dirt driver, I'd set my sights higher than NASCAR if I planned to leave. I'd be looking at something like the IMSA SportsCar Championship or one of the Formula series.

Norm P. Those 2 series won't pay what he can make in a SLM and run the lucas or better yet a true outlaw schedule.
    IMSA is you better have a ton of road racing experience and the formula series is just for wanna bee's with a lot of money. Or there backing there kids to get them in something better.