Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default amb scoring system

Im not sure how the local tracks count laps & timing but Id assume its a amb system ( my laps ) .... My question is why wouldnt a track have a timing system to get away from the pill draw thing .... Seems to me the pill draw thing is old school .... How much does a scroring / timing system cost ? Any down sides to having one ....
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Their great for lining up cars etc but pill draw still best thing for fans. Nobody wants to see the fastest start up front and walk away to win. Look at Attica this last Friday, drown and schlenk started deeper in field to finish 1st & 2nd and the crowd got a show

to me , pill draw is good for lower classes that run heats , i personally like timing the late models because you earn that starting spot and should reap the rewards , now i do like the so called dash for cash some tracks do where they let the top 6 qualifiers draw there spot and run about 5 laps with the winner getting the pole and a little cash for there efforts....JMO....

AMB makes scoring so much easier. That’s the main benefit to having the system.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

We raced farmer city last week and was amazed the still time by hand what a f***ing joke.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    to me , pill draw is good for lower classes that run heats , i personally like timing the late models because you earn that starting spot and should reap the rewards , now i do like the so called dash for cash some tracks do where they let the top 6 qualifiers draw there spot and run about 5 laps with the winner getting the pole and a little cash for there efforts....JMO....
    Where I come from, all the cars run heats. One fast lap on a tacky track earns the pole for a slick track race? Just crazy.

to me , its crazy no one knows how to adjust there car at the track , or in other words , keep up with the track , but maybe its just me .......

Personaly on the weekly level i prefer handicapping basically. High points average guys start tail of heat and the low average starts up front. And you gotta run at least two weeks in a row to get a points average. The top 6-8 finishers from the heats (example 4 heats top2 from each)are rehandicaped and the rest are heads up based off their heat finishes. People whine about it but it makes for a lot of passing regardless of track conditions it forces everybody to be better because it makes the slow guys get pasted and the fast guys have to pass them and when you win a championship under this format you know you earned it. And every now and then you see somebody have the stars align and start on the front row and run off and hide and get their first w. This is the way Hagerstown was for years and the racing was second to none
    Last edited by Jking24; 05-22-2019 at 09:51 AM.

It also eliminates favoritism and rigged pill draws. It's also harder to "buy" a championship with this format

This one seems to be a Texas thing as ive seen it at 3 different tracks out of the 4 ive raced at down there. They pill draw, BUT youre allowed to buy a redraw for $10 or $20. Watched a kid with daddy's wallet pull out a $50 and rolled 6 times to get a 18, while i walked up there and took the 87 from my first roll. Not sure what happens to the extra pill draw money they collected. Im sure it didnt go back into the purse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Their great for lining up cars etc but pill draw still best thing for fans. Nobody wants to see the fastest start up front and walk away to win. Look at Attica this last Friday, drown and schlenk started deeper in field to finish 1st & 2nd and the crowd got a show
    All well & good except when you get wrecked coming thru the field by a non-driving fool who happened to draw a good pill. I used to crew for one of the better SLM teams at Attica & we got wiped out several times over the years.

to me , its crazy no one knows how to adjust there car at the track , or in other words , keep up with the track , but maybe its just me .......
    I don't know how guys in the south get better adjusting their cars or driving with the lack of laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mams View Post
    All well & good except when you get wrecked coming thru the field by a non-driving fool who happened to draw a good pill. I used to crew for one of the better SLM teams at Attica & we got wiped out several times over the years.
    Seen that first hand at Atomic when they pill drawed 100+ modifieds. They were battling weather, but it was not good.

Weekly show, I’d do qualifying for the upper divisions with a fast dash. If the same person won three in a row, they couldn’t be in the dash the fourth week.

Definitely the amb system.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    I don't know how guys in the south get better adjusting their cars or driving with the lack of laps.
    i guess you do lioke bloomer and learn how to use a screw driver to check the track , he was/is pretty good at it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    Personaly on the weekly level i prefer handicapping basically. High points average guys start tail of heat and the low average starts up front. And you gotta run at least two weeks in a row to get a points average. The top 6-8 finishers from the heats (example 4 heats top2 from each)are rehandicaped and the rest are heads up based off their heat finishes. People whine about it but it makes for a lot of passing regardless of track conditions it forces everybody to be better because it makes the slow guys get pasted and the fast guys have to pass them and when you win a championship under this format you know you earned it. And every now and then you see somebody have the stars align and start on the front row and run off and hide and get their first w. This is the way Hagerstown was for years and the racing was second to none
    As I was reading I was thinking it sounded like Hagerstown, lol. I for one like the format.

Yea things happen but you know who them drivers are and how to game plan for them. Let's qualify and he who wins hotlaps starts pole of feature or heat etc. You'll never change my opinion that one good lap determines your whole night to be fairest possible way to do things. Local race nights should draw pills and re-draw for features. Bigger shows qualify and invert top 4 spots each heat, where finish heat determines bmain starting spot, not time. Then dash top 2 each heat to set front, others by time, b main cars tail by finish or give time back but no further then 10th starting spot.

I've raced and helped at Attica and other places and on a regular night 90% of time cream rises to the top. Sure you'll have them rare deals but typically it averages self out. Don't forget the fans pay to see racing, you go to crap format and they'll quit attending. I've said recently, wish was loaded. I'd take a track down south and implement the northern racing ideas and watch my stands and pits be packed weekly in 2 years

come on down jim , we need all the help we can get , and i dont mind staying up till 2am sunday morning , which is what would happen with the format you purpose , now i guess you could get rid of half the support classes but there goes your full stands theory , also i bet that "cream " would really enjoy getting torn up trying to pass a car thats 2 seconds slower than him , but hey , ive been wrong before and i sure would like to see those stands packed two years from now.......

It's definitely something that works. 3-4 full divisions and run the place right, teams and fans will come back consistently. Let's face truth, car counts are down but....... If places start eliminating/condensing divisions then class counts will go back up. You give 100 people 10 different choices you'll get 10 different divisions, but them same 100 only 3 choices and you lose ten teams and have 3 full classes. FYI, pill draw for heats and re-draw for feature works and not always tore up equipment

Fast ford, look at Oakshade, Fremont, Attica, Wayne county (believe) and you'll see it works. Only recently has Fremont went to qualify 410 single Lap and 305 group, for years was pill draw

come on down jim , we need all the help we can get , and i dont mind staying up till 2am sunday morning , which is what would happen with the format you purpose , now i guess you could get rid of half the support classes but there goes your full stands theory , also i bet that "cream " would really enjoy getting torn up trying to pass a car thats 2 seconds slower than him , but hey , ive been wrong before and i sure would like to see those stands packed two years from now.......
    You guys run till then now with 3 late model classes, and 4 hobby classes and throw in a couple more for the he!! of it.

Attica, Atomic, Wayne County, Cental Pa, etc, you can have nice fields and people if ya condense the classes. And not run all night.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.