Thread: High oil temp

Default High oil temp

What causes high oil temp? Water temp and oil pressure seem to be running in the normal range.

Need a little more info. What are you considering high? Wet sump/ dry sump. Two barrel / four barrel. New combo old combo? Track conditions etc...

Wet sump.. 4 barrel ... fresh engine... slick track... engine actually seems to run well just concerned about the 290° oil temp

Tight bearing clearances, a spun bearing, plugged oil cooler or oil line that's plugged or crimped.... you need to pull the pan to look.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Tight bearing clearances, a spun bearing, plugged oil cooler or oil line that's plugged or crimped.... you need to pull the pan to look.
    Yup. High oil temps indicate oil in shear. Pressure too high or some kind of restriction somewhere.

No matter what your engine is wetsump or drysump you need a oil cooler.Fastest way to kill your engine is not controlling temps. I have used mainly a Setrab 640 cooler will get your oil temps down into the 220-230 range.

Thats the problem.. it’s that hot with a cooler in it... we could move the prob and probably get it to read a bit lower but that doesn’t change the fact of how hot it is in the engine

abnormally high oil pressure will cause it.
    as well as running to thick of oil
    what is your oil pressure at WOT
    What weight oil you using?
    Where are your reading your temp from, pan or oil cooler?
    where is your oil cooler located? Does it have a good clean cool air source?

I have often thought mounting in front of radiator would be best, use the fan suction to pull air through. Deck mounted coolers just do not have a lot of airflow in the direction they are mounted. more like a heat-sink than a cooler.
    Also thought of mounting an electric fan to pull air down through cooler like I have on a buddy's pure stock Trans cooler.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 05-28-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    abnormally high oil pressure will cause it.
    as well as running to thick of oil
    what is your oil pressure at WOT
    What weight oil you using?
    Where are your reading your temp from, pan or oil cooler?
    where is your oil cooler located? Does it have a good clean cool air source?

I have often thought mounting in front of radiator would be best, use the fan suction to pull air through. Deck mounted coolers just do not have a lot of airflow in the direction they are mounted. more like a heat-sink than a cooler.
    Also thought of mounting an electric fan to pull air down through cooler like I have on a buddy's pure stock Trans cooler.
    covered a lot of it^

Adding:
    1. Too much oil in oil pan (overfilled) will also increase oil temp as the crank is whipping thru the oil and heating it just like pumping it over and over will heat oil.

2. Too much oil pump and pump is bypassing a ton of oil to keep pressure down to where it's regulated at. Or too thick of oil for pump and bearing clearance combo and causes pump to bypass a lot of oil.

Crate motor?

What u got for a cooler?

Big race tracks(1/2) mile,wetsump,too much timing,carburetor too lean will all cause high oil temps.I have seen guys put tape over the oil temp guage so they didn't know what it was.You may or may not have a problem.Hammer down on a big track will see 290*