Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliders

Default Sliders

I was watching the Sprint cars at Lawrenceburg and I began to see a difference when it came to sliders. When the Sprint cars do sliders, which is just about lap after lap, the guy getting slid either LIFTS and follows waiting to make his move at a later time or they point their nose down and drive underneath. (There is a lot of lifting going on). The late model guys do the same, however; it seems the Late Model guys get offended by the slide job and don't like to lift. Case in point when JD took out O'neals LR, he could have lifted but didn't. Not saying who's right or who's wrong, that's not what this is about. Just curious as to why the sprint guys accept sliders and the late model guys don't. And, the argument as to when the slider is used is invalid because the sprint cars are sliding them whenever and wherever they can.

The biggest difference I see is when LM guys do the slide, they park it and the closing rate is too much sometimes.....as in JD's case.

I'd venture a guess that the reason is because the consequences of making contact in an open wheel car are far greater than when doing it in one with fenders.

Fenders ... that’s the difference.

The respect for the well being of driver and machine among the wingless open wheel contingent is much higher for obvious reasons. Driver maneuvers at a place like The Burg need to be precisely thought out and executed. Even more so at places like Eldora and Terre Haute.

Generally the less possibility of driver injury, the less respect.

Both genre's of racecars have their entertaining aspects. The late models can rut, gouge, push and shove. The open wheel guys have to be more respectful and precise. Both have their place and we enjoy both, but the contrast is distinct.

Sprint cars cannot pass any other way. So, it is better tolerated there.

That's far from truth race eng, but do think lot of it today is setups. These cars are set for momentum, not instant forward bite. If a guy lifts he loses that speed and takes minute to get it back not to mention a sudden lift off throttle drops car off the bars and upsets everything

Quote Originally Posted by Tek2747 View Post
    I'd venture a guess that the reason is because the consequences of making contact in an open wheel car are far greater than when doing it in one with fenders.
    i agree with this plus if you got the zoombas to pull a slide job in a late model toward the end of the race , you better be dang sure you got room , especially with me cause if im running my line , i aint lifting either , but thats just me and i will say that if i pull one and am not clear , then i get what i deserve.......

I don't know a ton about the sprints and their characteristics but they seem much more maneuverable at full song to be able to make that dive back to the inside without upsetting that valued momentum they carry, the late models have to lift to dive it back inside almost every time.....and as others have said, the full fender cars are much more forgiving when contact is made so the risk of contact isn't near as catastrophic as the open wheel sprints.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i agree with this plus if you got the zoombas to pull a slide job in a late model toward the end of the race , you better be dang sure you got room , especially with me cause if im running my line , i aint lifting either , but thats just me and i will say that if i pull one and am not clear , then i get what i deserve.......
    Great attitude about accepting the responsibility of your actions..........if you throw a bad slider and you get what you get then so be it......shoe on the other foot, if the guy throws a bad one at you then he gets what he gets.

Outstanding......I'll bet you are a solid guy to race with.

Basically, the slidee knows if he lifts, his car will develop a push and a severe one when the slider takes the aero off his nose!

You got me I don't know why stock car guys get so offended by it the open wheel guys lift, drive back under, and it makes great racing. And the momentum thing is bs in a stock car when you see it coming you can lift and drive right back by them, especially if it's like people say they "park" in the corner...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    You got me I don't know why stock car guys get so offended by it the open wheel guys lift, drive back under, and it makes great racing. And the momentum thing is bs in a stock car when you see it coming you can lift and drive right back by them, especially if it's like people say they "park" in the corner...
    Hard to see it coming when the guy is behind you and you have a full containment seat and your helmet attached to your back with tethers.

Cuz bobby don't drive sprints hahah had to do it

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    Hard to see it coming when the guy is behind you and you have a full containment seat and your helmet attached to your back with tethers.
    RE now that I can't speak on the containment seats, but your peripheral vision alone you can easily see a car underneath you when your on the top..I don't think it's like a horse having blinders on, that would just be downright dangerous to half to drive like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    I think if you have someone read it to you the " momentum " portion of the conversation pertained primarily to the sprint cars .....it's not really bs at all.

BBQB makes a very good point regarding the maneuverability of the sprint cars as compared to the late models. Since the next lap I turn in anger driving either type car will be my first I'm taking the word of what a friend has told me who won races in both. The sprinter, the wingless 410 version, is much more conducive to the cross over pass than the late model by virtue of size and weight of the car, size of right rear and power to weight ratio. The winged 410's are even more maneuverable. Even if the car being slid has to lift and get on the brakes that car can recover for the crossover much quicker than a late model that weighs 825 lbs. more.

Christopher Bell is on record as saying everyone throws a dirty slider from time to time. Bell also said the guys that throw dirty ones more often than not are the ones that have their attitude adjusted either by the sanction or another driver. Christopher got a little taste of the latter last year at the indoor midget show at Du Quoin. He mentioned that incident during the same portion of the same podcast! LOL!
    Last edited by CIRF; 05-28-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by smooth32 View Post
    I was watching the Sprint cars at Lawrenceburg and I began to see a difference when it came to sliders. When the Sprint cars do sliders, which is just about lap after lap, the guy getting slid either LIFTS and follows waiting to make his move at a later time or they point their nose down and drive underneath. (There is a lot of lifting going on). The late model guys do the same, however; it seems the Late Model guys get offended by the slide job and don't like to lift. Case in point when JD took out O'neals LR, he could have lifted but didn't. Not saying who's right or who's wrong, that's not what this is about. Just curious as to why the sprint guys accept sliders and the late model guys don't. And, the argument as to when the slider is used is invalid because the sprint cars are sliding them whenever and wherever they can.
    There is a difference between "Throwing a slider" and "Feeding someone your right rear". If you hurl you car into the corner knowing full well you gonna collide with the other dude in order to force and/or expect him to lift, that's BS no matter which type vehicle. Sprints, both wing and non-wing throw lots of sliders because they are lighter and more maneuverable than a DLM, but nobody in either division is happy when some A-hole thinks he can just banzai his way thru the field and expect no consequences. Watch the highlights from this past weekends WoO from Lawrenceburg, plenty of sliders, but I saw more than a few get knocked around for making BS moves, including Larson. If a guy comes home more times than not without a RR quarter panel, he's feeding people the RR. No question.

If anybody in a DLM thinks they can feed me their RR and I'm gonna lift for them, they'll be sorrily disappointed. Everybody makes miscalculations, but the purposeful ones are obvious and usually reflect an on going pattern of behavior. Chopping to me is the same also as feeding the RR, and I promise the same outcome for both.

Throw all the sliders you want, but you better make sure your in the clear. It doesn't take talent to dive bomb across somebodies nose and park on the cushion, just a complete disregard for anybody else on the track and a trashy t-shirt.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Pretty sure he knew all of that but he was just trying to bait another conversation with you know who.....

Excellent rebuttle and keen insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    Pretty sure he knew all of that but he was just trying to bait another conversation with you know who.....Excellent rebuttle and keen insight.
    If you're referring to me, the original poster, once again you are wrong. Not everyone has different motives other than the obvious. It is a legitimate racing question. On a racing forum. Maybe you should try it sometime. To all the other replies, thanks for your input. It's nice to be able to carry on an adult conversation.