Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliders

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    Back in the 80's...Every Monday after work...I'd grab my mid American and a 12 pack...
    Id meet up with a couple of buddies and talk about the the race we just attended and we would flip through the mid American and see where we were gonna go next week...life was good....drinking beer...talking racing...going to races...cant beat it...then in 2000 I got my first computer and joined the 4m...it was even better...you could do the same things I did on Monday nights...every night...with 1000's of race fans... not just my 2 buddies...those were the good ol days...where you could talk racing...have differences of opinion...it sure was a fun place to go...just like my Monday nights....but now...you cant even post anything without scrutiny....4m 101
    The 80s were a much friendlier time for sure, but it also wasn't up to speed yet with the instant info you can get nowadays when someone is or has been bs ing about something......it's pretty easy to scrutinize folks that make things up or embellish their opinions to suit the narrative they live by, all it takes is to just pay attention to what's being said or posted.

And speaking of scrutiny....in the post above you say you bought a computer and joined 4 m in 2000......but under your name it says you joined in 2007.

Forgive me for paying attention but I'm just trying to do good with the facts that are being presented......
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    When you have them by a car length entering the turn, you don't see squat.
    Sure don't......unless you have super powers of some sort.

Hear them yes.
    Last edited by Barbecueboy; 05-29-2019 at 10:11 AM.

I like White Castle sliders. They're good for cleaning out the system.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

hey BBQ , i joined in like 1999 , but there was a redo of some sort in 2007 , so thats the reason no ones join date is before then......

When you have them by a car length entering the turn, you don't see squat.
    You can see them when they shoot beside you. It's not a surprise when they slide up in front.

Dirt late models are more momentum-based now than they used to be which means corner entry speeds are higher which makes it harder to execute a proper slidejob.

Further, when a late model gets slid, it's harder for the car to turn underneath and get a run because there is usually little to no air on the right side of the car being slid.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    hey BBQ , i joined in like 1999 , but there was a redo of some sort in 2007 , so thats the reason no ones join date is before then......
    Makes sense, explains piercefans discrepancies on the dates......thanks for clearing that up.

He accuses me of not doing well with facts, so I just wanted to see why his weren't adding up.....cool , thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    You can see them when they shoot beside you. It's not a surprise when they slide up in front.
    If you don't see them before then and if you aren't lifting for them to clear then that's too late......it's going to end up ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I like White Castle sliders. They're good for cleaning out the system.
    Being the case, I see great sponsorship opportunities for a couple drivers.....

Sprint cars cannot pass any other way. So, it is better tolerated there.
    I see you haven't been to a sprint car race before or never paid any attention to them .

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    There is a difference between "Throwing a slider" and "Feeding someone your right rear". If you hurl you car into the corner knowing full well you gonna collide with the other dude in order to force and/or expect him to lift, that's BS no matter which type vehicle. Sprints, both wing and non-wing throw lots of sliders because they are lighter and more maneuverable than a DLM, but nobody in either division is happy when some A-hole thinks he can just banzai his way thru the field and expect no consequences. Watch the highlights from this past weekends WoO from Lawrenceburg, plenty of sliders, but I saw more than a few get knocked around for making BS moves, including Larson. If a guy comes home more times than not without a RR quarter panel, he's feeding people the RR. No question.

If anybody in a DLM thinks they can feed me their RR and I'm gonna lift for them, they'll be sorrily disappointed. Everybody makes miscalculations, but the purposeful ones are obvious and usually reflect an on going pattern of behavior. Chopping to me is the same also as feeding the RR, and I promise the same outcome for both.

Throw all the sliders you want, but you better make sure your in the clear. It doesn't take talent to dive bomb across somebodies nose and park on the cushion, just a complete disregard for anybody else on the track and a trashy t-shirt.
    Best post in this entire thread. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    Back in the 80's...Every Monday after work...I'd grab my mid American and a 12 pack...
    Id meet up with a couple of buddies and talk about the the race we just attended and we would flip through the mid American and see where we were gonna go next week...life was good....drinking beer...talking racing...going to races...cant beat it...then in 2000 I got my first computer and joined the 4m...it was even better...you could do the same things I did on Monday nights...every night...with 1000's of race fans... not just my 2 buddies...those were the good ol days...where you could talk racing...have differences of opinion...it sure was a fun place to go...just like my Monday nights....but now...you cant even post anything without scrutiny....4m 101
    Wow, this has to be the best 4m post of the month. I joined 4m a little before you, but those were great times. Many of the best journalists in the history of the sport were 4mers and frequent posters back then. We didn’t have any of the nonsense we’ve had since. It was just racing talk. And amen about MAARN too. I had hundreds of them stacked about 5 feet high in a storage unit before I threw them away a few years ago. I regret that now, because I always loved going back and reading the old ones.

I usually brought them to the track with me. I always got there early, and read the papers while the cars were packing the track. Not just MAARN, but KRN, Racing News, National Dirt Digest, Behind The Wheel, Pitchin It Sideways, etc. Heck, I wrote for most of these. But I really miss sitting in the bleachers and reading them before the racing started. Those days are gone now, and new fans will have no idea what I’m talking about. But it really was the best of times for that kind of thing — and for 4m. Thanks for bringing that back.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    I see you haven't been to a sprint car race before or never paid any attention to them .
    I was going to say the same exact thing, TBSF!

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    I have never seen winged cars race side by side. Wingless, my comment is a bit of a stretch.

I have never seen winged cars race side by side. Wingless, my comment is a bit of a stretch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-nseJnSul0

They don't understand, the bottom is the shortest way around so they gain on you going in, you can see the guy in the bottom groove just showing the nose, you can absolutely see, and have enough time to react if they are gna pull a slider on you, this you don't see them till they cross ur nose stuff is nonsense...you absolutely have enough time to decide if your gna cross them over or stay in the gas like a nitwit....

Yep, nobody knows anything about how to race but you........So that being said and after reading your take on it, it's always the guy that isn't cleared that has to lift or is it the guy throwing the slider that's supposed to have enough smarts and car control to know where to throw one like a pro and not like a teenage upstart?

And most nit wits know the bottom is the shortest way around but it clearly isn't always the fastest.

Your post was a great example of your totally unbiased opinion on the subject.....well done, speaks volumes and thank you.

Late model drivers should be experienced enough to know how to throw a good slider. Once they have committed to a bad slider, though, they don't have much control after it is started, so it's the responsibility of the person who isn't going to be cleared to lift. If it's a particularly bad slider, then there's not really anything either can do to stop it.

BBQboy, you're being antagonistic in this thread for no reason.

Late model drivers should be experienced enough to know how to throw a good slider. Once they have committed to a bad slider, though, they don't have much control after it is started, so it's the responsibility of the person who isn't going to be cleared to lift. If it's a particularly bad slider, then there's not really anything either can do to stop it.

BBQboy, you're being antagonistic in this thread for no reason.
    Your post is a great one......and I agree totally that most pros should have that move completely down pat.

Especially the part about once they've committed to a bad slider there is nothing to do but hang on.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between a bad slider and a particularly bad slider though and why it's the responsibly of the guy that's getting the RR sandwich to lift......there have been a few drivers themselves comment on the subject in this thread that have stated go ahead....throw one....it better be decent and you better have enough smarts and respect to have me cleared.

It boils down to the respect the drivers have for each other.......if that's missing, then it normally isn't good for both of them.

Sorry you see me as the antagonistic one, I guess that depends on what side of the fence you sit on.

A bad slider is one in which the car being passed has to lift to avoid hitting the car that slid him. A particularly bad slider is one that the car being passed can't lift to avoid. I think some of the racers like to talk big game or they have a much bigger budget than I do. Why would anyone want to tear up their stuff if they can avoid it?