Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: track closings

Default track closings

friendship...swainsboro...lasalle...all recent track closings amung others...but then you have a track like fairbury that thrives...Ive always thought if a track bumped up the weekly pay like fairbury has...they would get the money back in car counts...and with increased car counts come increase fan counts which in turn means all around more revenue...but fairbury was successful before the purse increase...so why are these tracks closing? swainsboro posted they average over 100 cars a night with an average adult attendance of 2500...with 30 nights of racing...my family ran kankakee speedway when I was a kid...the grandstands there hold about 2000 people...so in my mind i imagine the grandstands being packed plus 500 more since they average 2500...thats a great weekly average...i think most tracks would be happy with that...swainsboro has had the same owners for 19 years...they had to know what theyre doing or they wouldnt have made it that long...so why are these tracks closing? greedy owners? poor management? when we had the track, it wasnt our main source of income...do most track owners rely on track income as a primary source of income?

Been thinking about this, don’t know anything about Swainsboro or Friendship and not a lot more on LaSalle. But my concern is with the amount of rain outs or, at least a reduced schedule, that so many tracks have endured this year. One Iowa track says they’ve lost five of six events, others are in similar situations. In particular if you’re a promoter that is operating on borrowed money the cash flow has to be there consistently to survive week to week. And if a promoter is looking at a track as their sole source of income you best be very good at what you do. Many promoters own multiple businesses any more. I’m afraid the number of closings could get larger going forward.
    I hate time trials.

Friendship says they couldnt make any $. I have been there numerous times for super races. That place has changed hands in the past. It changed to pavement and that went dry in no time.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

North Georgia cancelled all of their remaining races this week also.

North Georgia shut down their website domain...

Someone that use to run a track. (no name) once said to me, My son said we need to make some money . I said Condos to him, i love racing but if i want to make money this place be up for sale next day.

N Ga has been packed at times, and almost empty other times! Now we haven't been much lately! A few years ago, we went to a Friday show(maybe $3k for Supers) with decent car counts but only 100ish folks in the stands!!

The post I read on FB said North Ga was just shutting down their Thursday shows. Still planned on running the shows scheduled for Saturdays. Great track when prepped right. Till this day, this track is still where I think supers visibly looked faster than anywhere else I've been. Maybe not actually time/speed wise, but to my eyes, they were FLYING.

They also said their website was hacked and that's the reason that it is down. Working on getting it back up and running.

Paging Dale McDowell...

I've seen a track pretty close to me start thriving again with its change of ownership ....lakeview sc.

They have done a real nice job freshening up the place and mixing in some really good unique events , specials and good mix of divisions each week.....the track work they have done has improved the racing and all the new upgrades in the bleachers with seating, good pa etc has been a great addition to a legendary southeastern track that was getting kind of tired and that's no slam against the previous longtime owners just a hats off to the new ones.

making racers and fans happy ain't easy but they are doing a pretty good job of both.
    Last edited by Barbecueboy; 05-31-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Yea bbqboy I've heard the same about Lakeview. My dad and I are heading down there this weekend to check it out.

Not sure what all they are doing out there this weekend, I think it's just a normal show .......the last couple times I've been to a regular show over there the pure stocks and sportsman divisions were great racing.

Not sure how everyone feels about those mini late models and mini mods but they race pretty good around there too.....can't wait to see the ultimate guys roll in with the supers, haven't seen any of them race there in a very long time.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Anyone that borrows money to run a race track is not going to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    The post I read on FB said North Ga was just shutting down their Thursday shows. Still planned on running the shows scheduled for Saturdays. Great track when prepped right. Till this day, this track is still where I think supers visibly looked faster than anywhere else I've been. Maybe not actually time/speed wise, but to my eyes, they were FLYING.
    No doubt. When the cars enter turn 3 when the track is fast and you're standing right there its unbelievable.

The lack of regular weekly racing and weekly racers and fans is what the biggest problem with dirt track racing in general today.
    there was a time when weekly Saturday night races were packed and everyone came to see their favorite local drivers.
    now it seems everyone wants to only follow so called big shows and touring drivers and the support for local shows is fading, also the cost to race locally is out of control. then add to that the options of other ways people are spending their time and money and I predict you will see more and more dirt tracks closing in the coming years.

I think tracks need to change their format a bit....unfortunately...gone are the days of the weekly super late model racer...the cost has just gotten so high that you almost have to travel to the bigger paying shows...as far as the weekly racing goes... the crate class...in my opinion...should be the headliners...they are more affordable therefore more people can afford to buy them thus supporting the weekly racing....now I'm a diehard late model guy....as most of us are...that's why I would bring in as many touring series throughout the year as I could...

I just don't notice the 20 and 30 year olds at the tracks anymore in the grandstands. I see that age group in the pits as crewmen, etc. but not in any quantity where the future supporters of racing should be.

Quote Originally Posted by bgood14 View Post
    ...... I predict you will see more and more dirt tracks closing in the coming years.
    Just curious, you say dirt tracks; is that because you only follow dirt tracks, or is it because asphalt tracks are holding on? One thing I see over and over, with few exceptions: asphalt tracks in my area seem to start on time, and run the program thru without intermissions, extra long cautions, etc. Local show or big show, they seem to get it done. Why then, do dirt tracks struggle with getting you in and out? Wythe is an exception, as they seem to know how to get it done, but most dirt tracks seem to struggle with this, again, at least in my area.

The asphalt tracks in my area seem to be doing well. Caraway is down to nothing, but has been for a long long time. Ace shut down for awhile but is going again and drawing pretty good crowds. The standby tracks, SoBo, Hickory, Langley, etc. are all doing pretty well, and Motor Mile even opened back up this year. Bowman Gray is thriving, but they always do and always will, simply due to the entertainment value.

yes there are more dirt tracks in my area then asphalt tracks and I honestly do not know how the attendance of both fans and racers is at the asphalt tracks.
    I know lots of race fans that only follow or attend the so called big shows or specials these days and would never think of going to a regular show.