Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to keep Left Front digging?

Would like some ideas on how to keep the left front in the track. This is for a crate car, have to run single spring set up.
    The car is not lifting all the way around, just at times getting back in the gas on cushion and going through bumps.

Car currently lacks some side bite off the gas.

Just shorten left rear chain limiter?

Do you have a tether on it ?

Yes I do have a teather on the Left Front. I've ran it a couple different measurements but have not noticed much of a change in performance.

I've noticed if 5th coil is too far forward it will lift left front.

Also right top rod being too low wont allow it to "bar up" and will cause the car to be very lazy on rr and left lf through center.

Bar angle RR, RR static height, RR wheel rate, anything that dynamically effects RR height will effect what the LF is doing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Thanks for the input guys. So I should try a stiffer RR spring vs. shortening the LR limiter? The stiffer RR spring should increase side bite off the throttle as well?

Quote Originally Posted by fleming10 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. So I should try a stiffer RR spring vs. shortening the LR limiter? The stiffer RR spring should increase side bite off the throttle as well?
    Yes, stiffer RR spring should tighten car on entry, however that is assuming it's off throttle entry and being a crate car that may not be the case.

Dealing only with RR spring: whether you need a stiffer spring or just more static load is all dependent on where the RR is in travel when it does what your trying to fix. Meaning if the RR is compressed 2", then stiffening rate or even load at 2" will help, but if this is happening with the RR closer to ride height, then stiffening the spring rate and having the same ride height load isn't going to effect much as it sees the same poundage at the point even with a stiffer spring.

There are some many variables to consider and with the limited info given, everyone is guessing but they are good guesses and suggestions.

I'm beginning to wonder if we all miss read this?

It says digging, where I read as lifting.

Then this: "The car is not lifting all the way around" was this actually as written meaning the car or was car referring to LF?

More I read this, the more I'm not sure we are reading this correctly or rereading is messing up what I thought it said.

Billetbirdcage.. thank you for the advice. The car gets hiked up easily and stays hiked up nicely. Now, when I said "lifting" I was referring to the LF tire coming off the track while the car is on the cushion or goes over bumps. This caught my attention during time trials recently. The fastest cars had the left front barried in the track with the LR hiked. M car is super hiked, but does not barry the LF. (My Car is fast but want to be better)

Feel of the car currently:
    Turns in okay on the gas, maybe a smidge tight
    Off the gas, lack side bite..car skates up the track in slick

I have put a stiffer RR spring in for this week.

This caught my attention during time trials recently. The fastest cars had the left front barried in the track with the LR hiked. M car is super hiked, but does not barry the LF. (My Car is fast but want to be better)

Feel of the car currently:
    Turns in okay on the gas, maybe a smidge tight
    Off the gas, lack side bite..car skates up the track in slick

I have put a stiffer RR spring in for this week.[/QUOTE]

so they are limiting the LF down travel. ( external strap, chain, or internal shock limiter)
    track needs to be pretty smooth and no chop, when right you will also feel the slight bobber effect up and down on the lf as the car rotates threw center and off, trying to raise LF but doesn't.
    This will increase LR wheel load, and keep cars nose planted for aero.

RF gets you in corner to center
    RR gets you center off

what kind of chassis is it?
    raised cross member?
    kind of need more info
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Take some LR drop out and add a few turns in the RF and she wont skate to the center off the gas.

And dont get out of the gas, just trail brake and it'll tighten up too and probably help it rotate

Quote Originally Posted by King1 View Post
    Take some LR drop out and add a few turns in the RF and she wont skate to the center off the gas.And dont get out of the gas, just trail brake and it'll tighten up too and probably help it rotate
    You sure about that?

The Racecar is a 4 legged chair as Mark Bush would tell you. If your chair is teetering off the LF leg onto the RR leg, what are your options to fix it?

Get a new chair?😬

I have noticed with a tethered up LF, that the RR upper bar angle is critical. Anymore i just leave it all the way up. and just work with the bottom bar to tighten entry if needed.

I made the mistake of moving it down once, wont do that again...

Just say no...

Krom any recommendations or area you like to stay in angle wise? I've been doing some trial and error and this next week out was going to raise the right upper more

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post

I made the mistake of moving it down once, wont do that again...
    A person could weld both upper bar bolts to the chassis and it wouldn't bother me one bit, lol.

I dont know the angle, we run a Swartz car so its the very top hole. Sometimes if the track is really heavy, and i want to turn quick, i will index it down on the cage.

But i will measure the angle, and post it.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I dont know the angle, we run a Swartz car so its the very top hole. Sometimes if the track is really heavy, and i want to turn quick, i will index it down on the cage.

But i will measure the angle, and post it.
    Krom, you doing the Boggs deal or just audie's? If you are doing the Boggs deal with stopping rear end with the LR front shock, send me a PM as I tested one here a while back and found something that will help you especially if track is a little rough.