Default Clay Valley Closing

Add Clay Valley in Coeburn, VA to the list of tracks shutting down.

Welp. That didn't take long.

No it didn't. But they did it to themselves. Horrific PR and track prep will do that to ya.

The must not have been able to afford water for the track. Oh well!!!!

Didn't look like they went too skinny on the water?

https://youtu.be/KW-zZy7M8Zs?t=8946
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnStreet View Post
    No it didn't. But they did it to themselves. Horrific PR and track prep will do that to ya.
    I think maybe location had something to do with it, personally. They had no cars for the first race, before anyone knew how bad the surface would be.

The video didn't look bad, is the surface really that bad?

The video is from their second race I believe. This was way up in the night after they were forced to rework the track around 9 pm. I'm having trouble uploading pictures so hopefully they will load up this time so you guys can see what I'm talking about. The one picture was from week one and the one with the modified was during hotlaps the day the video was shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shawn you might have to shrink your pictures before you can put them on here. If you can't then send them to me.

Maybe this link to work to show you guys just how bad it could get at Clay Valley. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

nc mudcat, location isn't perfect that's true. There were no real local cars, which is what killed it when it was asphalt too I believe. Had the track been in good shape, they are in a corner of VA that could pull cars from WV, KY, TN and VA.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnStreet View Post
    Maybe this link to work to show you guys just how bad it could get at Clay Valley. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Oh sh!t!!!!!! That is horrific!! I really don't know how you can excuse something like this. Was there a hanging tree around!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Oh st!T!!!!!! That is horrific!!

Somebody might want to consider switching that somb!t(h back to asphalt

Maybe route the men's restroom right onto the track!!! hahahahaaha

DUST VALLEY SPEEDWAY!!!!!

They were only 20 minutes from Ky and east ky has a lot of cars. They had a golden opportunity to make an impact but they didnt know how to water a track, had no idea how to promote it, knew nothing about the cars, and copy and pasted the rules from Tazewell. Their day show in the dust and changing the super late tire rule after qualifying to accommodate the only car in the field that had hard tires really did some damage, the promoters went and borrowed worn out hard tires from the crate guys just so they could run.

It was really sad to watch them step on their d***s all day. They had no tech inspection for the crates or any other class for that matter and they threw their copied Tazewell rules out the window after a couple weeks. They tried to add classes and take them away just to accommodate people who were promising to come race as opposed to sticking with their guns and creating some consistency. They meant well, but they simply didnt know how to put it together.

How many weeks did they run?

Mams, I think they had 3 regular shows and one crate special. Had a bunch of rain outs. I'm not certain on the exact amount because they almost never posted results. One week they were rained out and they announced it on their Facebook page on Tuesday LOL

Too bad as it looks like a great facility. I lived in Mansfield for 35+ years & watched as that facility almost got the wrecking ball. Hate to see racetracks lost forever.

I was able to run there on May 25th for the American Crate All-Stars event. The facility itself is super nice. You could park in the infield, but all of the crate teams (myself included) parked outside which was fine. Here is my assessment:1 - The track personnel were very nice. 2 - Concessions were good.3 - Plenty of parking and all level ground which is appreciated. 4 - Track surface was a little rough for us, but it was racy and I'll take that anytime.5 - They need some kind of stands on the backstretch side cause you can't see anything at all from there.6 - They didn't water the track properly to start the night off. It was fixed later (I'll explain).7 - It has good potential.When we got there, they were still watering the track which was fine. The problem was that they super soaked the center of the track, and put absolutely no water on the inside groove of the surface. None. It was a mud pit in the center and when we got to hot laps, it was still very slimy and I couldn't get a read on the track. It was decent for qualifying, but by the time for our heat races... the dust on the bottom was awful. I was lucky to win my heat race and be out front, but the guys behind me said it was like you were blind going into the corners. They decided to re-water the track (thankfully) and we went out there to run it in. About 16-17 crates on the track and we ran about 15 laps and that made the track pretty good. For the feature, it was nice and racy with very little dust.