Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eldora jewels

Default Eldora jewels

Is it harder to make the world and dream in today's era or 90s era? What's your opinion?
    Last edited by zyoung25; 06-05-2019 at 01:54 AM.

In the old days they had 200+ cars...twice as many

Takes a lot more money nowadays

To pull into eldora today it probably would cost you 500 K . In the 90's half as much.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Is it harder to make the world and dream in today's era or 90s era? What's your opinion?
    Easier to make it. Harder to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    To pull into eldora today it probably would cost you 500 K . In the 90's half as much.
    500K ??????????? Get ahold of some bad stuff?????

It does cost more today than back then and there were 200+ cars but did that even matter? Pretty sure you knew back then of the 25-30 guys that had a real shot at making the show with everyone else having no chance. Point is, I don't think it's changed that much, just the cost but to answer the question. I would say harder today simply because of the cost. You really gotta be at the top of your game to run with the big boys more today than before, in my opinoion.

Eldora Jewels?? I’d say Davenport, Pierce, Van Wormer got em. And definitely Charlie Swartz. Takes a real man to run that wall. Lol!!!!
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Quote Originally Posted by pierceFAN View Post
    In the old days they had 200+ cars...twice as many
    I think there were 200+ in the '80s because there was no entry fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdaddy View Post
    Possibly....but....they have also put a limit on how many cars you can enter...one year I think Charlie Sentman (racin auctioneer) qualified 5 cars trying to get in

3 day pit pass is $103, the driver entry fee is $150(which includes a 3 day pit pass)

No one in this sport is that worried about $47....

Freddie Smith said it’s harder now. So take it for what it’s worth. I’d say harder now, they are all so equal. Yeah you had 200+, but there was some not do stellar guys trying to just say they raced at Eldora.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

The DoD article on Freddy was really good. Hope the Eldora powers can persuade him to be there Saturday for pre race ceremonies.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

There were 200+ up until about 8-10 years ago. Which is why 5 out of 6 World 100's that Billy Moyer won are a lot more valuable than today with 90 cars. And in those days also there were a lot more than 10-15 guys that could win. Money has ruined it now

The early 90's was a more even playing field. The money and racing has got to be ridiculous and too expensive for most small teams to complete so they don't even show up anymore. You would still get 200 cars if it was more up to the driver and set-up instead of $40-50k motors, shocks etc.

Don't kid yourself. There has ALWAYS been the haves and have nots! Clear back to the Roman days of chariot racing..

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    The early 90's was a more even playing field. The money and racing has got to be ridiculous and too expensive for most small teams to complete so they don't even show up anymore. You would still get 200 cars if it was more up to the driver and set-up instead of $40-50k motors, shocks etc.
    Freddie Smith will disagree with you.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Freddie Smith will disagree with you.
    With all due respect, it's been a long time since the Southern Gentleman made a lap. And, he was one of the greatest in his day. Not sure his perspective is calibrated.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    With all due respect, it's been a long time since the Southern Gentleman made a lap. And, he was one of the greatest in his day. Not sure his perspective is calibrated.
    Freddie is still helping younger guys. Between him and what he picked up from his Dad, I’d say he has enough experience and perspective to have a valid opinion.

They all are so equal now, not just 15-20 of them, half the field at least.

There all some form of a xr-1 copy anyhow. And personally I think mark had one of Ole bloomie 's cars on his table when they created the xr-1.