Default Go-to heat race/tacky track adjustments

Curious what some different adjustments guys are trying that work well to free up entry on a tacky track. Cars and setups, in my opinion, are designed to be so good on a feature track (as they should be) that I feel like it’s a greater struggle to get a good handle on it if you’re the first heat race of the night. We can get close, and win but it sure looks terrible doing it sometimes. Thankfully it seems like everyone else struggles too. Not really a specific issue, just want to start a discussion.

That's a little bit of a loaded question. Lots of variables their. Track configuration surface type etc.... but generally speaking if you wanna free up entry you can move ballast towards the left and low such as in front of the drivers compartment. Adding Rr ride height also generally helps but again kinda hard question to answer with out more info. But generally anything that reduces/ slows weight transfer to the right side is going to free the car up on entry

I knew it was a very general question. Not really looking for specific answers or solutions, just curious what others are doing and why. Our old car/setup was quite a bit heavier sprung in the rf and lr. That thing would win every heat race by a half lap, but everyone caught up and some were usually better come feature time. Now we’re good at the end when we need to be and just wanna try some things to get better early in the night. Problem is convincing the driver that just because tight is comfortable doesn’t mean it’s fast. I free it up and he complains the rr isn’t sticking in the track and he can’t get back on the throttle.

And that's yet another dynamic involved. Their are quite a few ways to free up a racecar but you have to keep the driver in his comfort zone. Most guys can't just get in and drive if it doesn't feel good to them they show down even if the car is actually better. This is the advantage that your Hudson o'neals and Bobby peirce etc.... have. they don't have the years of a particular "feel" working against them they just drive it until they wreck it or win lol. I've had drivers tell me they couldn't do something and i watched the car for 25 laps and he never even tried but he could feel that it wouldn't do whatever it is we were taking about

Struggling with the same thing BC, car is really good early and i cant get it nailed down come feature time. i watch others in the Pits, and i see no one making any moves, just tires. We're just weekly hacks, but still.

Anyway, i am going into the spring rubber game, been talking about for awhile. Stack em in there early and pull them out as it slows off, dries out. Start out 50 to 75 lbs lighter on springs, and rubber them up.

I was looking at Bloomquists car at the Dream, he has wheel spacers on every corner, 2" on the back and 1" on the front. If you think about it, that would be a fast way to move some numbers around, and quick.

A story about Jack Hewitt testing at Eldora, they worked all day, changed the everything but the paint scheme. At the end of all Jack said a 2" wheel spacer they added to the LF was the biggest change all day as far as he could tell. Story was told to me by a man that was there.

So maybe, there is something to it, been hunting wheel spacers too LOL.

Just say no...

When you get a car balanced and it's a threat to win at most places, I generally don't change much at all unless the track goes from one extreme to the other (Not just the normal semi tacky heat to semi slick feature).

Well, that's a lie to a degree because I will slap the driver and tell him not to worry about what I changed and just drive the thing. (Placebo pill)

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    When you get a car balanced and it's a threat to win at most places, I generally don't change much at all unless the track goes from one extreme to the other (Not just the normal semi tacky heat to semi slick feature).

Well, that's a lie to a degree because I will slap the driver and tell him not to worry about what I changed and just drive the thing. (Placebo pill)
    Sometimes, that is the best adjustment!!
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Sometimes I feel, like this is the conversation I have at the track

Or

Yes! That last one about the forward drive! Haha. And I use the “don’t worry about what I adjusted” technique too. Usually it’s more of a “I made it so you should be able to run it in harder and still turn the center and should notice some more drive off”.

My sister tells me to go get everyone hotdogs and hamburgers and when I return the car will be ready. Hmmm...I didn't hear any tools though...