Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Track promoters/Owners thoughts on having PPV races?

I am just a fan and former driver, but it sure seems like in the last 2-3 years the pay per view options for not just dirt late model racing but all racing has exploded. To me, it seems like a win-win because fans around the world have access to watch races that they can't attend and tracks have an extra revenue stream that they wouldn't otherwise have.

But yet I still see some tracks saying that they think pay per view is a detriment. What would be the reasons for that? I am sure there are things I am not thinking about but with the bottom line being so tight these days I have to think any extra sources of revenue would be a good thing. And 99% of fans who live within driving distance of a track are going to go to the race instead of watching on PPV.

A lot of tracks make a good portion of their revenue from concession,( food and beer) sales. Also most tracks have a 50/50 which helps out with making money.

Tracks get a percentage of the PPV sales. I suppose those owners would prefer to get that revenue as opposed to getting nothing from the people that stay at home or live too far away.

If you had mainstream TV covering big boy DLM ( like ESPN) you’d see it explode. DoD does a good job, don’t misunderstand me. However, people who do that are all “into” it already. It doesn’t bring many new people to the party. Y’all need to grow your fan base...the rest will work itself out. It will.

You dont get a PPV if you dont have enough fans in the stands to run the show to begin with. And that is the reason for the promoters concerns.
    If we all start staying home and watch PPVs there wont be any to watch.
    99% is way too high of an estimate. I am within driving distance of the Big E but if you add up the money I spend on tickets to the big events, I would be money (WAY) ahead to stay home and buy the PPV.
    Problem is, its not the same experience for me. I cant even sit in the suites and watch the races so the only PPVs I see in my future are when I retire or when I calm down.
    Neither of which am I sure that I can do...
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

You don't need someone such as DoD to come in to offer a PPV, especially for a weekly event.
    You can start live streaming races from websites such as youtube for probably less than a $1,000 investment.
    I'm not a track owner, or promoter. But i'd definitely consider making a small investment to get the equipment to offer a PPV platform for weekly events and charge the same price as an admission fee to get access to the PPV link.

I believe Jacksonville Speedway already offers this as well as a few other tracks.
    I guess i can't see the downside to offering this as an option. Prime example with July coming up, it's 102 degrees out, you have the choice to spend $13 dollars to get in to your local track and sweat like a dog watching some good racing. (as long as i have some ice cold beer this would be fine)

Or, you also have the option to spend $15 (as an owner lets raise the price $2 to account for the money your not going to make in concessions a little.) and your given a PPV link through youtube or a relative website to watch from home in the comfort of your own AC.

I guess i dont see the downside to it, but just my opinion!

How much do you suppose the tracks are making on this fast pass deal? Can't be more than 25 cents per subscription. Then figure your whole family can watch for the same price whereas everyone pays admission when at the track.

The tracks are making good money from the ppv or they wouldn't be doing it...plus they are showing the race to the world who may want to come to see it someday...the australian drivers watch the ppv all the time...they told me so...so that's money the tracks are getting from folks that will never see the race in person...
    Last edited by highgroove; 06-27-2019 at 07:50 PM.

I would be more concerned with free viewing if i was a promoter. FanschoiceTV is showing a bunch of races online, mostly asphalt. It does not keep me from going, but it might some. But i think they see it as advertising. Show your track to people who haven't seen it, and hope they come and buy a ticket and a hot dog.

Quote Originally Posted by highgroove View Post
    The tracks are making good money from the ppv or they wouldn't be doing it...plus they are showing the race to the world who my want to come to see it someday...the australian drivers watch the ppv all the time...they told me so...so that's money the tracks are getting from folks that will never see the race in person...
    i could speak on this but would make people mad, but there not getting any money and if they were its a very small % with no way to audit it
    Last edited by grt74; 06-27-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by highgroove View Post
    The tracks are making good money from the ppv or they wouldn't be doing it...plus they are showing the race to the world who my want to come to see it someday...the australian drivers watch the ppv all the time...they told me so...so that's money the tracks are getting from folks that will never see the race in person...
    Perhaps they make ok money on a regular broadcast, but with this fastpass I don't see where the money would be in it for them. Had it not been for fastpass I would have been in Peoria last night spending about $100, instead I spent $40 and I get to see another month of racing for nothing....
    I'm guessing the fastpass is in the agreement between the track and the sanctioning body and if the track wants a race, they agree to let it happen. Normal PPV events outside of UMP/WOO may be different, where the track may get half of the purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    i could speak on this but would make people mad, but there not getting any money and if they where its a very small % with no way to audit it
    I tend to agree. I don't see where there's enough money to go around to all involved in broadcasting a race.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    i could speak on this but would make people mad, but there not getting any money and if they were its a very small % with no way to audit it
    Completely agree.

I too heard the tracks don’t get a cut but it looks like the races are drawing a good crowd. Personally, I love it since I have to get up early for work and most tracks can’t get the late model feature on the track in a timely fashion for a weekly show.
    I hope it continues to work. Good crowds at the track and viewers at home. I need to get one of those racing fuel smelling candles though.

Tracks get a cut or they would not do it! It has been said Eldora sells 25,000 plus ppv's for the World 100. If they get half of that, thats like having 12,500 more fans, without doing a thing. I think its a win for the fans, and a win for the track. Thats over 500,000 more dollars for the track and purse or profit.

I've always heard the tracks get a modest cut.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    I've always heard the tracks get a modest cut.
    may have heard it but just not true, at least with what I'm referring too

With the fast passes I don’t think they get a cut of that but single night purchases they probably do.

I was talking about single night deals.

Somebody in this thread is probably right. I just do not know who it is.