Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Route 66 Summernationals

Sunday night, 11:00 P.M. central time. I thought I would get my Dirt Vision Fast Pass ready for the race at Rt. 66 on Monday. Much to my surprise it was already listed as being rained out at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL47A View Post
    Sunday night, 11:00 P.M. central time. I thought I would get my Dirt Vision Fast Pass ready for the race at Rt. 66 on Monday. Much to my surprise it was already listed as being rained out at that time.
    It was weathered out from storms that passed through today. They where nasty with insanely high winds and rain so heavy you couldn't see. It also caused some damage to buildings.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Didn't stop the nascars. Unlike the Summernats at Lincoln they stopped for a while and then resumed.Lovely day in Joliet today - one wonders why the call was made last night.Were the execs looking for a night off. Time to give the fans their moneys worth. The tracks know how to charge and it is time they delivered with strong car counts (unlike Terre Haute) and a neatly run program unlike Peoria and Lincoln. I wasn't at Sycamore so no idea about that.Run the main event - that is what we come for. The supports can run after the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by holrs514 View Post
    Didn't stop the nascars. Unlike the Summernats at Lincoln they stopped for a while and then resumed.Lovely day in Joliet today - one wonders why the call was made last night.Were the execs looking for a night off. Time to give the fans their moneys worth. The tracks know how to charge and it is time they delivered with strong car counts (unlike Terre Haute) and a neatly run program unlike Peoria and Lincoln. I wasn't at Sycamore so no idea about that.Run the main event - that is what we come for. The supports can run after the big one.
    First off, there was DAMAGE done to the facility by the storm. Nascar is a totally different deal. Do you think they WANTED to cancel??

Second, the SUPPORT classes are there to help pay the bills for a series that OBVIOUSLY does not support itself financially. If it did, the support classes wouldn't be there.

LaSalle is closed and prolly for sale along with many other tracks across the country. You think you can do everything so much better put your money where your mouth is and show us all.

did you not read my post above. They have storm a bunch of storm damage.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Quote Originally Posted by ImCryn2 View Post
    First off, there was DAMAGE done to the facility by the storm. Nascar is a totally different deal. Do you think they WANTED to cancel??

Second, the SUPPORT classes are there to help pay the bills for a series that OBVIOUSLY does not support itself financially. If it did, the support classes wouldn't be there.

LaSalle is closed and prolly for sale along with many other tracks across the country. You think you can do everything so much better put your money where your mouth is and show us all.
    ImCryn2, very good post.

It's probably just as well this deal got cancelled! We attended the Saturday night event and it was a veritable train wreck from start to finish! We were planning to go back to the Summernational's make up date tonight but after wasting our time and money Saturday night we decided to take a pass even before the cancellation.

Saturday night was the worst run show we've attended for a long, long time. Just be thankful you didn't waste your time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    It's probably just as well this deal got cancelled! We attended the Saturday night event and it was a veritable train wreck from start to finish! We were planning to go back to the Summernational's make up date tonight but after wasting our time and money Saturday night we decided to take a pass even before the cancellation.

Saturday night was the worst run show we've attended for a long, long time. Just be thankful you didn't waste your time and money.

Wow. I can't believe it took that long to run 2 classes! I was at the Xfinity race that day, and decided to go down to FALS afterwards. I'm glad I did!
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    Wow. I can't believe it took that long to run 2 classes! I was at the Xfinity race that day, and decided to go down to FALS afterwards. I'm glad I did!
    After the USAC Midget race Kyle Larson confirmed in the winners interview that the reason for the start time delay was waiting for him to get done with qualifying over at the big track. I love all three national USAC racing divisions but this is totally wrong on all levels. I don't know if it was USAC or the track management that was responsible for the start time to be held up for Larson but either way it's wrong and will cost them customers (starting with us) in the future. I hope it was worth it.

I rarely say never in regards to attending a dirt race track, especially one less than an hour from our house, but I can say with confidence that I will never attend another event at The Dirt Track @ Route 66 as long as the present management is in charge. They seem to put much of their efforts and emphasis into demo derby crap and monster truck BS, anyway. Maybe that is justified since we've been told by people who have been there that the place is packed for this stuff. Fair enough, but don't screw up what could have/should have been a great show with two high quality divisions.

One of the nicest dirt track facilities east of the Mississippi River and it's a total disaster for racing. It's a shame. I don't know anything much about Sherri Heckenast but she's a former driver and you'd think she would know better and USAC and the ASCoC definitely should know better!

NASCAR runs on asphalt tracks which dry quickly.

After the USAC Midget race Kyle Larson confirmed in the winners interview that the reason for the start time delay was waiting for him to get done with qualifying over at the big track. I love all three national USAC racing divisions but this is totally wrong on all levels. I don't know if it was USAC or the track management that was responsible for the start time to be held up for Larson but either way it's wrong and will cost them customers (starting with us) in the future. I hope it was worth it.

I rarely say never in regards to attending a dirt race track, especially one less than an hour from our house, but I can say with confidence that I will never attend another event at The Dirt Track @ Route 66 as long as the present management is in charge. They seem to put much of their efforts and emphasis into demo derby crap and monster truck BS, anyway. Maybe that is justified since we've been told by people who have been there that the place is packed for this stuff. Fair enough, but don't screw up what could have/should have been a great show with two high quality divisions.

One of the nicest dirt track facilities east of the Mississippi River and it's a total disaster for racing. It's a shame. I don't know anything much about Sherri Heckenast but she's a former driver and you'd think she would know better and USAC and the ASCoC definitely should know better!
    That's very disappointing that they would hold everything up for one driver. I heard it went past midnight. Is that true? I was at the Cup race Sunday, and during the rain delay, one of the track workers told me the City of Joliet has a 12:00am noise ordinance.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    That's very disappointing that they would hold everything up for one driver. I heard it went past midnight. Is that true? I was at the Cup race Sunday, and during the rain delay, one of the track workers told me the City of Joliet has a 12:00am noise ordinance.
    Shiny, the USAC midget A-main ended just after 1:30 AM Sunday morning.

As I've indicated many times Kyle Larson is one of our favorites. This deal was not his doing since the powers that be didn't have to hold up the show for him. All that being said it's beyond disappointing that it happened the way it did.

Levi Jones and Kirk Spridgeon are the USAC officials that would have the last word on this situation and I've spent some time around both. They both are high quality people and I'm amazed that either one of them would allow this to happen. I don't know all the facts and will reserve final judgement for when we are able, if ever, to ascertain what exactly happened. What is not disputable is the fact that Larson said during the winners interview that the show was held up for his arrival and he thanked the fans that stuck it out until 1:30 AM to see him win. It's all on the USAC Floracing video replay so there is no mistake as to what he said.

We attend these events for the enjoyment of the show, not to be held hostage! Had there been adverse weather involved or any other legitimate problem that would have precipitated the delayed start we would have no beef whatsoever. But, to hold up a show for one guy, regardless of his star power is inexcusable and indefensible!

With the hot day in Joliet today I am sure the track would have dried out to race tonight.Fans and racers are getting screwed.

Are there any promoters or past promoters reading this. Would like their option.

My take is at the Dirt Oval they are doing what they can to bring late models to the track. Chances are the series made the call not the track, it all depends on the contracts. Sometimes things are out of the track management's hand. Just like the Illini is out of the hands of the Farmer City Track Management. I hope they are able to rescheduled, people at the Dirt Oval are working very hard to make the track succeed. I am not associated with the track, but am aware of some of the efforts. It is too bad your experience wasn't great. BUT -- things don't always go as planned -- I've been to very late shows Eldora, Fairbury and other tracks as well.

Shiny, the USAC midget A-main ended just after 1:30 AM Sunday morning.

As I've indicated many times Kyle Larson is one of our favorites. This deal was not his doing since the powers that be didn't have to hold up the show for him. All that being said it's beyond disappointing that it happened the way it did.

Levi Jones and Kirk Spridgeon are the USAC officials that would have the last word on this situation and I've spent some time around both. They both are high quality people and I'm amazed that either one of them would allow this to happen. I don't know all the facts and will reserve final judgement for when we are able, if ever, to ascertain what exactly happened. What is not disputable is the fact that Larson said during the winners interview that the show was held up for his arrival and he thanked the fans that stuck it out until 1:30 AM to see him win. It's all on the USAC Floracing video replay so there is no mistake as to what he said.

We attend these events for the enjoyment of the show, not to be held hostage! Had there been adverse weather involved or any other legitimate problem that would have precipitated the delayed start we would have no beef whatsoever. But, to hold up a show for one guy, regardless of his star power is inexcusable and indefensible!
    Kirk was at the hospital with his father this weekend. First usac races he has missed in years.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

I swear the people in high places in sport and tracks are F#ck1ng crazy....
    Last edited by obamaracing#1; 07-02-2019 at 01:11 AM.

I’ve had a lot of experiences at the dirt oval since they opened, most were not good. On paper, they had what should have been a great show. But being a little older and wiser, I pick my shows more carefully and decided to skip that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNunn View Post
    Kirk was at the hospital with his father this weekend. First usac races he has missed in years.
    Thanks for setting the record straight, Chris. My wife went with us this time and we seldom get pit passes when she's in the group so we likely would not have seen Spridge even if he'd been there but we did see Levi. I doubt anyone will ever come clean as to made the call regarding Larson. All of us in our group apologize to anyone we've implicated not involved in that very bad decision. We don't know at this point so everyone is a suspect! LOL!

My opinion would be it wasn't Sherri's call. I remember one time when she was promoting Kankakee, Bloomer was late to staging or something, and she put him to the rear. He loaded and left. I don't think she would hold everything up for someone like that. JMO.