Thread: LF Shock/Spring

Default LF Shock/Spring

Heard some trickle info from a local team that also runs big touring shows. Haven’t seen for myself to confirm but worth a discussion. Soft LF with more rebound shock and loading it back up on a bump to keep the front aero platform low and keeping the rear up. Not sure why it wouldn’t work I dip my toes in asphalt and dirt with my own Asphalt Modified and crew chief a dirt late model? Thoughts?

That's not new by any means (least 5 years old), some like it and some don't. Like anything just another tool for the toolbox.

350 LF with a bump was/is pretty common, but that number can range from 200 to 500.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    That's not new by any means (least 5 years old), some like it and some don't. Like anything just another tool for the toolbox.

350 LF with a bump was/is pretty common, but that number can range from 200 to 500.
    Just see LF aero platforms so low now, I don’t know if it’s a bump car or high rebound LF I don’t see crazy RR angle and or spring I mean nothing near what would alone do it. Heck I run a 250 RR with a 650 bump spring in asphalt with a zero gap so it lifts back off on throttle to the soft RR to pin the LF on entry but I see stuff around 300 RR plus or mines 25 or so. So is the LF holding its aero platform mostly shock or is it a good indicator of bump?

I just unload the car with the lf dragging. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I just unload the car with the lf dragging. Lol
    My LF valance is set to 3”. Just when the call rolls up and rocks over there is a gap I wanna get without just softening or pullling it down with rebound and soft compression I feel that would make it too loose on entry but I could be wrong

So is the LF holding its aero platform mostly shock or is it a good indicator of bump?

It can be, but also many many cars stay down on LF without either of those 2 items, so you can't really rely on that for an indicator. Some cars will still lift/separate the LF corner more then others and continue to do it even with extreme rebound or a soft spring/bump combo. Take an older GRT or masterbilts, they will typically separate the LF corner and closing off the rebound sometimes has no effect at all. It's the whole combo of the car and set up that does this, while one of those changes can hold it down it doesn't always or at times won't even effect it much at all.

Seems like it would be a good thing to help the car turn on the fuel?

I liked the softer LF, on older Rockets we had that was a great adjustment for slick conditions, just keep going stiffer.

I know the XR1 crowd is way soft, than what i am used too. Were usually in the 650 range.

Just say no...

I've been as low as a 300LF successfully w XR1, track better be smooth! Have moved away from that except for big,smooth momentum tracks.

In an effort to get the car to turn better?

Just say no...

Yes, via better aero

Question

Things to consider:
    Does your LF spend more time in bump or droop from ride height?
    Why does a softer spring on the *LR* help it hike up? Does that not also apply to the LF?
    If you are chaining the LF, like lots of people do, how does running a softer spring affect preload at full droop?
    How does that preload effect handling?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin34471 View Post
    Things to consider:
    Does your LF spend more time in bump or droop from ride height?
    Why does a softer spring on the *LR* help it hike up? Does that not also apply to the LF?
    If you are chaining the LF, like lots of people do, how does running a softer spring affect preload at full droop?
    How does that preload effect handling?
    I like about 500# of open load on my LF. Really plants the RR on entry.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

7uptruckerracer,
    I was exaggerating a bit. But it isn't much clearance.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    7uptruckerracer,
    I was exaggerating a bit. But it isn't much clearance.
    If you can load the car into a fold down door trailer and not drag/rip the LF nose, then it's too high.

SHRUGS

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    If you can load the car into a fold down door trailer and not drag/rip the LF nose, then it's too high.

SHRUGS
    We put boards under the lf tire. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1