Default A Past Winner Of The World Hundred Passes

Sad news for the racing community. Verlin Eaker, the winner of the second running of the World Hundred back in 1972 passed away a few days ago at the age of 86.

As a young boy I had the honor of watching Mr. Eaker drive racecars late in his career. Mr. Eaker drove stock cars at a time when every car on the race track was identifiable by make, model & year from the grandstands at a glance.

In addition to winning the World Mr. Eaker was a 2 time champion of the Midwest Invitational (1967 & 1968) at the long gone Sterling Speedbowl Park in Sterling, Illinois. According to everything I've been told and have read Sterling was a bad ass 1/3 mile that was nearly perfectly round. At the time Mr. Eaker won the Midwest Invitational it paid $1000.00 to win. That was BIG money in those days and way before the World Hundred was thought of. The MI was a big, high dollar event well before there were big high dollar short track dirt events and Mr. Eaker won it twice against the best teams and drivers in the Midwest at that time.

Mr. Eaker had a successful USAC Stock Car career, as well. He drove a factory Dodge back in the days when USAC rivaled NASCAR in quality of competition and driver star power.

Rest in Peace Verlin Eaker. You were as good as anyone who ever drove a stock car on dirt!
    Last edited by CIRF; 07-19-2019 at 11:29 AM.

Sounds like a one trick pony stock car driver

Saw Verln Eaker race many times all over Iowa and the Midwest. Even though Eaker won the World 100 driving a Chevy Nova for race promoter Al Frieden, Eaker was known for driving MoPars all through his career. One of many Hall of Famers and World 100 winners out of Iowa, Eaker was the man competitors knew they had to beat. As a youngster, always excited to see him at the track.

Sorry to hear that news -- another Iowa legend and another one gone. I remember him just a little from when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Sounds like a one trick pony stock car driver
    He probably was but he didn't have a posse of witless simpleton fans trying to convince everyone he was the greatest all around race car driver of all time.

It appears you're not only intellectually hapless, you're disrespectful, as well. What a fitting combination.

Quote Originally Posted by MUD MAESTRO View Post
    Saw Verln Eaker race many times all over Iowa and the Midwest. Even though Eaker won the World 100 driving a Chevy Nova for race promoter Al Frieden, Eaker was known for driving MoPars all through his career. One of many Hall of Famers and World 100 winners out of Iowa, Eaker was the man competitors knew they had to beat. As a youngster, always excited to see him at the track.
    MUD, you're correct regarding Mr. Eaker being a Mopar mainstay. I believe he drove for Ray and Terry Nichels which by all accounts were Chrysler factory teams. My dad talked about Mr. Eaker racing 1966 and 1967 Dodge Coronet's at Sterling Speedbowl Park. Dad said even Darrell Dake couldn't beat Mr. Eaker at Sterling and Speedbowl was Dake's favorite track! Later in Mr. Eaker's career he raced Chevy's. I saw him drive a Chevelle at Milwaukee. It was one of his last USAC races several years after his World Hundred victory.

I just had the pleasure of seeing Verlin on June 21st when he was inducted into the Chateau Speedway (Lansing, MN) Hall of Fame. He looked like he was having a good time with his fellow inductees Mert Williams, Dave Bjorge, Dave Noble and others. Many people remarked how great he looked for 86 years old. Eaker was originally from Blooming Prairie, MN until he moved to Iowa in 1966 so he could race more. Verlin raced from 1955-1980. I was lucky enough to see him hold off Doug Kenimer in the rain to win the first Yankee Dirt Track Classic at Cedar Rapids in 1978, driving a car owned by Ed Sanger.

Quote Originally Posted by AzDirtRacin3 View Post
    Perhaps you should check out history before typing & sounding like a moron. DON"T PRESS SEND!!!!!!!!
    U obviously missed the point of the post

One of the top Iowa drivers, RIP Verlin.