Default Southern Nationals @ Smoky Mountain

I am not familiar with their procedural rules but with only 15 cars in attendance total does anyone know why they ran a 9 car B-main with all cars transferring to the feature?

Quote Originally Posted by LM1M View Post
    I am not familiar with their procedural rules but with only 15 cars in attendance total does anyone know why they ran a 9 car B-main with all cars transferring to the feature?
    No heats. Fast six run a dash, line then up as they finish. BMain is for the rest of the cars, line then up as they finish.

Very exciting format.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Top 6 were locked in the feature by qualifying time. This format is used for the lower $$ races.
    15 cars was a poor showing- but the Mountain is a big track with wear on motors for only $3,500.00 to win probably explains the low car count.

The purpose was to give the fans a little more racing for their money.

Thanks for the replies all. I watched last weekend and they ran heat races, but makes sense for the lower paying races they use the format they used last night.

Thanks for the replies all. I watched last weekend and they ran heat races, but makes sense for the lower paying races they use the format they used last night.
    i

Not running heat races never makes sense. That format is the dumbest format in all of racing. What fan wants to spend their time and money to go to the track and watch 2 late model races...one of which has all of the slowest cars in it, and the other race being the feature? I don't care if there are 100 cars there...the sport is called racing. Everybody should have to qualify through a heat RACE. Nobody should be locked in after qualifying. That format does nothing but stick it to every race fan in attendance.
    Last edited by GEAR_HEAD; 07-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Gear Head
    I agree 100% ! That’s why I didn’t make the 65 mile trip. I will not support that kind of format. I will be at 411 & Tazewell shows since no driver is locked in after qualifying. 🏁🏁

Does anybody know why Craig Vosbergen didn’t come over and run the series this year ?

Craig & Brent (son) were in the states for a couple weeks watching some races. He was at the Dream camping in his toter home. His dad passed away back during the winter & he had business issues to take care of in Australia. His United States racing was based out of Morristown,Tennessee at Tom Buckingham’s shop & also Roger Sellers shop (Shannon Buckingham& Robbie Moses). I thingCraig was planning on shipping his stuff back home to Australia.

Well dang I hate that I enjoyed watching him race. I met him at Boyd’s 3-4 years ago he seemed like a very likable fella.

Yes he is a really nice/friendly guy. He was at the Lucas show at Smoky Mountain in May going thru the crowd & giving out post cards of his #8 racecar. Very pleasant dude to be around. I always looked forward to watching him in the Southern Nationals as well. He told me last year that their racing season in Australia was only around 16 races.

15 cars is no too good I agree it is just hard for people to get off work and do these mid week shows unless they live close by. With all the track not running supers weekly it is hard to get a decent car count as most regional tours now basically have to bring all the cars instead just the few that are racing each series

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    i

Not running heat races never makes sense. That format is the dumbest format in all of racing. What fan wants to spend their time and money to go to the track and watch 2 late model races...one of which has all of the slowest cars in it, and the other race being the feature? I don't care if there are 100 cars there...the sport is called racing. Everybody should have to qualify through a heat RACE. Nobody should be locked in after qualifying. That format does nothing but stick it to every race fan in attendance.
    I’ve been complaining about it ever since I moved to Georgia in 2014. There are very few people down here who know how to run a show. It’s very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by LMNED10 View Post
    15 cars is no too good I agree it is just hard for people to get off work and do these mid week shows unless they live close by. With all the track not running supers weekly it is hard to get a decent car count as most regional tours now basically have to bring all the cars instead just the few that are racing each series
    I seen on Twitter where there was a wreck on the interstate that held back a couple of the guy from getting there on time. They probably still would've been doing good to break 20 without that happening.

IMO, these races should pay a minimum of 5k. That would entice a few more guys to come.

On paying 5k ain't going to happen in the area Ray runs in, especially on a week night. He does good to get the tracks he has got to book races, that is why the week night deals are 3.5k. Every promoter in the south believes that only dirt racing works on Saturday night