Thread: show up money

Default show up money

What are your thoughts on promoters paying certain drivers to show up and race their track or show for a certain race? Usually a flat fee, plus free admission for driver and crew (and whoever else they want)
    How prevalent is this? Why?

IMO, the promoter is screwing over the regulars that show up every week and support the track. I've never understood it. If your track is being run well enough and providing good racing you shouldn't need to "bribe" drivers to come.

Thoughts?

I think it's the top 12 in points, no matter who it is. It's a good thing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    I think it's the top 12 in points, no matter who it is. It's a good thing in my opinion.
    I'm not referring to any particular series. If a series has it in their terms to do something for the top so many in points then a promoter has to weigh that into his decision to host the series.

I'm talking in general. A promoter making the decision, himself, to pay a driver(s) to show up at a particular race.

I know promoters that have run Lucas anc WOO races and you should hear some of the numbers of people that get in free to those events. Hard for them to make money letting so many people in IMO

I know it seems unfair, but when they bring in a Ken Schrader, Kenny Wallace, or pay a touring guy like Bloomer or Moyer to show up to a night it does bring in some fans and maybe some drivers though I doubt drivers care. As for paying the touring guys showup money, I get that too, with the costs what they are paying them to keep at it may be what gets them to the next town sometimes.

How is this 'screwing the regulars'? The promoter is in the business of promoting, and if making sure that a particular driver is going to show up (and he can advertise it) it is purely a business investment. I felt that way at one time but realized that it had no effect on me. In fact, bringing more people benefits all involved. Want free entry, earn it. Doug Wolfgang explained it best, he spent his time and money creating 'the Wolf' so why should he not be entitled to the extra rewards (show up money)? It's the promoters money and he can spend it any way he wants...

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    How is this 'screwing the regulars'? The promoter is in the business of promoting, and if making sure that a particular driver is going to show up (and he can advertise it) it is purely a business investment. I felt that way at one time but realized that it had no effect on me. In fact, bringing more people benefits all involved. Want free entry, earn it. Doug Wolfgang explained it best, he spent his time and money creating 'the Wolf' so why should he not be entitled to the extra rewards (show up money)? It's the promoters money and he can spend it any way he wants...
    You honestly don't see how it screws the regulars?

If I 'm a regular, I show up every week and pay for me and my crew. By regulars, I mean, for the most part, locals who barely scrape by in a very expensive sport. Then the promoter PAYS someone (or multiple drivers) to come and more than likely race into a spot that could have very well been mine. That doesn't seem the slightest bit unfair to you? If they're gonna take my spot because they're a better racer, I'm fine with that. But they shouldn't be paid to do it.

As for a series coming to town, that's a different story. The locals know ahead of time that the "elite" are coming to town and can choose if they want to try to compete.

I don't race, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I just think it seems wrong. If you don't share my opinion I'm fine with that. But to say you don't see how it screws the regulars seems a bit odd to me.

It makes no sense at all to pay show up money to bigger names! This is one more reason car counts continue to dwindle. Example: pay Bloomquist 5000 grand show up money, plus his part of winnings. Scott will make 10,000 on shirts on top of that.

I am the regular, have raced late models for over 30 years (and still do). The big names have come and gone, and not once did someone else receiving 'extra' change my payout. Yes, they may have come in and beat me- guess I had better step up my program. What did the regular not receive? Did they cut the payout because of paying the guy to show? The promoter is purely trying to increase is revenue with an investment, which in turn, should trickle down to the 'regular' as well. I realize it doesn't seem fair, but was told a long time ago that if I wanted life to be fair 'it goes on at the state fairgrounds a week after the sprint car nationals' and that is how life works...

Paying show up money helps the event make more money. Which is what dirt racing needs most. If a local guy doesn't make the big show full of other Lucas or WoO guys it shouldn't make or break them because they shouldn't be depending on that money from that show. They should depend on making money on the weekly shows so they can keep the operation afloat.

Bottom line, in life you have to find a way to make things work so that you can do the things you want. If you can't figure out how to make something work then you either need to keep trying or move onto something else. Complaining about it or saying "it's not fair" won't help you or anyone else. If you think paying show up money isn't fair then you either need to work harder (like the successful people have done) or move onto something else. No one handed it to Bloomer or The Wolf. They earned it. I believe this is the way it should be because the ones who want it the most will have the success.

I think it makes sense for a Promoter to try to get a driver who draws more fans to regular shows or even smaller specials. Let's pretend they pay for a regional guy to come once in a while to their track. If they pay him $300 and two pit passes they have $400 invested. If the guy helps bring in another 75 - 100 people that night the promoter is ahead. If it is a bigger name like Scott or Moyer, they will bring plenty of people to pay for expense.

The the Fansfund is the same thing at Cedar Lake. $26,411.00 has been raised to help pay for 15 cars to come to the USA Nationals. It’s all in good faith and hopefully to hype the race up and add more and better competition. I’m good with any of this and generally it works out good for the race fan. Last night at Jackson Motorplex the Lucas Oil race got rained out at noon but it only rained in the morning. Future cast showed rain again around 6pm but it never rained all night. Guaranteed that they had a choice at the track to cancel before Cars got there and not pay guaranteed money or take a chance and pay $6000-$8000 if the cars got there and it got rained out. They canceled and the drivers continued down I29 from Aberdeen SD to I80 Speedway.