Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up FAIRBURY. 2020 Prairie Dirt Classic - July 31 & August 1 - $50,000 win & $2,000 start

THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT THAT HAD FOLKS TALKING
    THE PRAIRIE DIRT CLASSIC GOT A TOTAL PURSE BOOST.

Fairbury American Legion Speedway
    Fairbury, Illinois
    31st Annual Prairie Dirt Classic
    Friday, July 31st & Saturday, August 1st 2020
    $50,000 to win & $2,000 to start.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Someone said they ant a big one... LOL will now they CANT say that NO more..
    Drivers love coming to this track and now the Track is paying them back for coming.
    PDC IS a Classic and a BIG ONE Cause Cold Stone Says so.. Have a beer.

I wonder if Mr. Curl will have to consider making the PDC. a Late Model only race in the near future. Also, the powers that be should consider doing something creative around turns 1/2 for more seating, even if it's a grass hill for lawn chair/ blanket type area.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyboy View Post
    I wonder if Mr. Curl will have to consider making the PDC. a Late Model only race in the near future. Also, the powers that be should consider doing something creative around turns 1/2 for more seating, even if it's a grass hill for lawn chair/ blanket type area.
    Have heard they working on that they have added last 3 years and plan to add more.
    the seats in 1 and 2 are on the 1/2 mile so they have to be were the can remove them if they have to
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 07-28-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Need more seats for sure. They really need to tear down the frontstretch wooden stands and put large new ones up. Did they also move the dates back one week for next year?

not sure what their going to do. no room for seats or pit parking. you raise the purse which will got more cars an more fans. turns 1 and 2 to risky to put seats there as they even have signs park at your own risk. as far as grandstands they won't go anywhere. there well built an oldest around as far as 1/2 mile track I do believe since its a fairgrounds they have to race on it once a year by illinios law. and yes they kinda moved it back a week just how the calendar falls. I'm guessing cedar lake got moved back a week to.
    Last edited by t4g2; 07-28-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    Need more seats for sure. They really need to tear down the frontstretch wooden stands and put large new ones up. Did they also move the dates back one week for next year?
    Totally agree!!

got a driver's list yet?

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    not sure what their going to do. no room for seats or pit parking. you raise the purse which will got more cars an more fans. turns 1 and 2 to risky to put seats there as they even have signs park at your own risk. as far as grandstands they won't go anywhere. there well built an oldest around as far as 1/2 mile track I do believe since its a fairgrounds they have to race on it once a year by illinios law. and yes they kinda moved it back a week just how the calendar falls. I'm guessing cedar lake got moved back a week to.
    You are correct. I checked and Cedar Lake was moved back too. They could tear down that beer stand building on the backstretch and put more stands there? I have to anticipate they have a plan if he wants the event to grow.

I know their in the process of buying farmland down the road. but that won't solve the problems that need to be addressed. I did hear that was talk with the beer stand being moved an bleachers added. I also heard getting extensions/add ons for bleachers they have already.

It’s already a crown jewel in my mind
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

I can't remember them running horse races on the half mile in a decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    I can't remember them running horse races on the half mile in a decade or more.
    Dont have to no more

don't they run harness races during fair? just asking

I heard that since Curl bought it the horse track and grandstands can go. I don’t think the grandstand will be gone anytime soon, but I did hear a rumor it has less than 5 years left. If they do that they could put all new large grandstands closer to the track on the front stretch. They could cram more campers on the grounds if they needed to. Especially in the back. I think the private sites and overflow west of town really helped.

I heard several things. he's got to be careful what he does 1 wrong move an the regulars you will make mad and the town mad. I heard her trying to buy the school flip the start finish line. to me he has to have something in mind to make the $ back otherwise he's just giving $20k away. as it being 30k and it's maxed out so he won't gain anything. So the option would be is to raise admission. and reality is hate to see big changes just for 1 weekend otherwise theirs plenty of seats for any other night.

Curl dont do a thing if it dont help, and it must make money, and he loves every one being happy, So he has a Plan i bet on it.

The frontstretch stands have to go! Then build a big section of aluminum stands closer to the track like at Charlotte and Mansfield.

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    Definitely no longer horse racing, they have started putting in road packing material to make the stretch around turn two more solid, definitely helped when it rains.

For those wanting the stands taken down, I did see a comment on another post about this being the Wrigley field of race tracks and that kind of rings true in my mind. There are probably a third of us who attend every week that are attached to those stands that we grew up in. Dont get me wrong I love the event and the growing and have a vested interest in seeing it grow but there are more people than you think that dont want to sit out in the sun and weather that keep the place going week in and week out. I do believe the group will find a way to add some more but I think it is going to be more like a professional event unfortunately some times you sell out and that is just the case cant always add people. I think they have nearly reached that point near capacity. I hope one day they are able to add a second big show.

As far as dates go, all the dates are getting pushed to a week later because Labor Day weekend is later than normal next year, which puts World 100 Sept. 10-12.