Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hate pill draws ....For one it lets people cheat ....promotes favortitism ... Who in their right mind wants to take a chance on destroying a fast & expensive car racing for a few bucks .... Just do it in hot laps / start 30 mins earlier .... I agree it doesn't need to be all class's ...
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Unfortunately down here in the south it's the fans who just need to shut up and be thankful that we have a track to go to. Promoters think just because they have a race people need to show up. I know a track where a promoter and driver got into it because the promoter wanted to do heats and the driver didn't, well the promoter folded and they now continue qualifying for all classes. I understand you don't want to tear your car up but its round track racing your gonna tear it up from time to time. Go drag racing if you want to do a car show and if the fans ain't happy you wont have a place to race.

My favorite 'excuse' for qualifying and no heats is 'the track is one grooved so it is not fair'....Half the reason the track is one grooved is single car qualifying; then a choo-choo race. Gee, start the fastest car up front and wonder why it is single file.....Have argued this to death since I moved south and finally gave up.Racing is supposed to entertain, when it fails to do that the track will fold up! The racers have to get on the side of the promoter and work to put on a better show if they expect to survive. Short track racing in other areas seem to be stronger than a few years ago, guess the south wants to lose again...

I remember the first Ultimate Series race I ever saw a few years ago at Georgetown Speedway(De). I think that was the farthest north the series had ever run. A lot of the fans sitting around me (mostly Big Block Modified fans, like myself at the time) couldn't believe the format that the feature would be lined up strictly based on the results of time trials with the fastest cars starting up front and no heat races. Although the feature turned out pretty good with I believe, Rick Eckert winning, there was a lot of moaning and groaning throughout the grandstands...... The Mid-Atlantic fans just never saw anything like that format before.

I went to Tazwell a few years ago for the Lucas Oil show and all the support classes qualified and didn’t run heats seemed weird and the other thing that surprised me at Tazewell was the modified race payed $3k to win and they had like 15 mods if they had a $3k to win mod race in my neck of the woods there would be 40-50 mods show up

Another thing that bothers me is they feel the need to have 5 or more support classes especially during big shows. I came to see late models race not some 4 or 5 car field of front wheel drives.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    My favorite 'excuse' for qualifying and no heats is 'the track is one grooved so it is not fair'....Half the reason the track is one grooved is single car qualifying; then a choo-choo race. Gee, start the fastest car up front and wonder why it is single file.....Have argued this to death since I moved south and finally gave up.Racing is supposed to entertain, when it fails to do that the track will fold up! The racers have to get on the side of the promoter and work to put on a better show if they expect to survive. Short track racing in other areas seem to be stronger than a few years ago, guess the south wants to lose again...
    Being from the South, Ive been preaching that for years!

I like how Eldora does it.....double file restarts, let the leader choose his lane!

I can understand guys not wanting to be starting behind the squirrels in the upper classes but I don't think anything besides hot lap/qualifying should be done for any class not having a special event. Some nights especially in the summer if theres not enough for a full field of a class then I say they should hot lap/qualify and run a feature for their regular shows. Around here, they do pill draws but you still get hot laps so it doesn't save anything to do it..still putting laps on the track so might as well time them. Down in the deep south theres just far too many classes ran on any given night, IMO and half of em are some equivalent of a late model.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox28 View Post
    I can understand guys not wanting to be starting behind the squirrels in the upper classes but I don't think anything besides hot lap/qualifying should be done for any class not having a special event. Some nights especially in the summer if theres not enough for a full field of a class then I say they should hot lap/qualify and run a feature for their regular shows. Around here, they do pill draws but you still get hot laps so it doesn't save anything to do it..still putting laps on the track so might as well time them. Down in the deep south theres just far too many classes ran on any given night, IMO and half of em are some equivalent of a late model.
    Totally agree on the endless amount of Late model classes. I know of one track that has 6 different late model classes on a given night.

Super
    Limited
    604 Crate
    602 Sportsman
    602 Charger (Beginner 602 Sportsman. Can never have won a feature to race this class)
    Hobby (Older Late model chassis but bodies look just like todays.)

I bought the fast pass to watch the Hell Tour and got to see some WoO events during that time as well. It just about ruined me watching the racing up North. Guys start way back and run to the front. They start way back and win. They start way back and put on a show. You get to see 4 leaders most races. When they threw the green I didnt know who was going to win. It was awesome! Down here usually you can bet 10 to 1 and know who is going to win when they go green because hes qualified himself all the way to the front.

Too many folks now a days want to drive race cars, but not body wants to race anymore.
    "The Wise One"

It's not the off season yet, but we need to address this once again!! We have too many tracks...Period point blank!! I know it hurts, heck it hurts me to say it!! Track owners/ promoters/ gate openers are too afraid to "make the drivers mad" because they will go to another track! We've had a promoter tell us that "we (as fans) don't want to show up at a track with only a few cars to see" and lets the drivers call the shots! We need to become like road racing at many places, and have no "fans" and let rich people gather and drive around when they want to!

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    Too many folks now a days want to drive race cars, but not body wants to race anymore.
    Completely true! Soon we'll quit going to see it!! I've heard the just show up at 9 pm and miss hot laps and Q, and just watch races too much too! That's missing the point! The night and track are ruined in many cases already!

I wish they would do away with time trials and go to passing point system makes for better racing..jmo

I am blessed to live in a region where most tracks use passing points, inverts, or draw-redraws. The racing is MUCH better than in the freight-train, fast cars start up front format. Qualifying is boring and wears out the track.