Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lasalle Speedway/ Tony Izzo Jr???

Anybody heard any news on what is going to happen with LaSalle and is Tony going to do any more promoting in the future???

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    Anybody heard any news on what is going to happen with LaSalle and is Tony going to do any more promoting in the future???
    Tony is doing the track prep this year for the Plymouth Speedway in Indiana.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    Tony is doing the track prep this year for the Plymouth Speedway in Indiana.
    Is he there every weekend???

Is he there every weekend???
    yes he is there every week. the track is an hour from my house.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

Is LaSalle for sale? Its a nice facility, I think with some creative scheduling it could be successful

I've heard people ask him at events how much? His answer was everything is for sale.

LaSalle to survive would have to go IMCA or USRA. Sycamore has fully taken over Saturday's in Northern Illinois.

You could probably go Friday night but not sure there is enough cars to run 2 nights back to back in the Northern part of the state. Darlington Wi, Davenport Ia and a couple other tracks do well on Fridays drawing potential cars.

Saturdays Wilmot and Sycamore have it sewn up.

Could a mid week night work? Stuart and Alta Iowa both make it work. With a close proximity to highways I would think a Wednesday night show could potentially shine. Cars can easily travel in and out of the area.
    Last edited by J20in1st; 07-30-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J20in1st View Post
    LaSalle to survive would have to go IMCA or USRA. Sycamore has fully taken over Saturday's in Northern Illinois.

You could probably go Friday night but not sure there is enough cars to run 2 nights back to back in the Northern part of the state. Darlington Wi, Davenport Ia and a couple other tracks do well on Fridays drawing potential cars.

Saturdays Wilmot and Sycamore have it sewn up.

Could a mid week night work? Stuart and Alta Iowa both make it work. With a close proximity to highways I would think a Wednesday night show could potentially shine. Cars can easily travel in and out of the area.
    I dont think they need to run weekly at LaSalle. Just run 8 specials a year. Run Lucas, WoO Sprints, a POWRI show, Summernats, etc. I know all their big shows were packed but they struggled with a weekly crowd.

I think Thursday night would be a potential hit, would get a lot of cars running for national points. Probably have to go UMP because the late models are a draw for fans.

He’s doing all the track prep this week at merrit speedway in lake city Michigan for woodtic, $10,000 to win lates and $3,000 to win Bmods
    "Running the bottom is like having a job!" ~ Jack Hewitt

I dont think they need to run weekly at LaSalle. Just run 8 specials a year. Run Lucas, WoO Sprints, a POWRI show, Summernats, etc. I know all their big shows were packed but they struggled with a weekly crowd.
    I think that’s a good idea. Something like the schedule at Tri-State Speedway. 8-10 races, try to strategically pick them for weeks when there aren’t other major shows in the area. Personally, I think they need to schedule the POWRI War sprints for at least 3-4 races. If they can do a sprint/midget doubleheader, even better. They are also a great location for a couple co-sanctioned races with the MOWA and IRA winged sprints. Then throw in 2-4 late model races. Summer Nationals, thaw brawl (hate that name), and maybe a “fall brawl” show late in the season when other tracks are finished. Great if they can get the Lucas series, but I’m sure that would take them out of the mix for a Summer Nationals race.

Friday night would work, and another option might be Sundays. Kokomo does it and runs a very efficient show. No more than 3 classes and do their best to be done by 9:30-10p.m.

He has pissed off both lucas series and wrg... Plus he has been running specials only for years now. If lasalle speedway will be successful again it will have to be sold to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    He has pissed off both lucas series and wrg... Plus he has been running specials only for years now. If lasalle speedway will be successful again it will have to be sold to someone else.
    You’re right, after going back and reading what I posted again, I realize what I suggested is basically what they have been doing. Screw it. Just go all in with non-wing sprints and midgets. Go with 10 races and schedule non-wing sprints for 7 of them. No need for a sanction and you can get away with paying them pennies like they do here in Indiana. Bring in the midgets for a couple of those shows. Just make sure those are the only 2 classes you run. Non-wing only fans will cream their pants if it’s only those 2 classes. 1 late model race and 2 winged sprint races.

Originally Posted by hoosier race fan---You’re right, after going back and reading what I posted again, I realize what I suggested is basically what they have been doing. Screw it. Just go all in with non-wing sprints and midgets. Go with 10 races and schedule non-wing sprints for 7 of them. No need for a sanction and you can get away with paying them pennies like they do here in Indiana. Bring in the midgets for a couple of those shows. Just make sure those are the only 2 classes you run. Non-wing only fans will cream their pants if it’s only those 2 classes. 1 late model race and 2 winged sprint races.
    Where are the wingless 410 sprint cars and midgets going to come from? USAC dam sure isn't going to commit to La Salle. If USAC can't get together with Fairbury they dam sure can't make a go of it at La Salle. The last time a USAC sanctioned event was run at La Salle the car count was embarrassingly low. I was there. USAC National Midgets were a one hit wonder at Macon and Lincoln a couple of years ago and Sarge is the best promoter in Illinois at running an open wheel show.

The division 2 midgets won't draw a track-sustainable crowd in late model/modified country. Fairbury barely had enough wingless sprint cars even with the combination of WAR/Wisconsin WingLESS Sprints the one time that sanction combination raced at FALS.

Two weeks before the POWRi National Midgets was scheduled at La Salle Izzo had to cancel due to a feared very low car count. That was 3 or 4 years ago. Hell, Fairbury claims to have lost a pile of money on the open wheel event they hosted the year before the Sprint Mania debacle.

It's a fact of life that north central Illinois is modified/late model/street stock/hornet country. Period. If a track in our area can't make it running primarily late models and mods they just ain't gonna' make it at all.

You seem to know waaaay too much about what will sexually arouse male wingless open wheel fans. Just a bit creepy, don't ya' think?! LOL!

I didn't know they were even looking for advice on how to run the place. Thought it was closed and everything for sale?

Merritt Speedway has bought all of LaSalle’s track prep equipment.
    2023 race count: Winston Speedway (MI)-3, Spoon River Speedway (IL)-1, Lincoln Speedway (IL)-1, Farmer City Raceway (IL)-1, Fairbury American Legion Speedway (IL)-1, Thunderbird Raceway (MI)-7, Kokomo Speedway (IN)-1, Butler Motor Speedway (MI)-1, Mt.Pleasant Speedway (MI)-1, I-96 Speedway (MI)-1, Merritt Speedway (MI)-3

The Izzo's aren't the actual land owners? Wow, never heard that one before. You really do have inside info Gary.

You're right. Money talks. If a developer wants the land more than someone that wants the track, it be gone, like Santa Fe. Crown Point, Etc.

No one said Tony Jr. Owned the Track or land. I believe it was assumed the Izzo's own it though.

Quote Originally Posted by IL LM Fan View Post
    I didn't know they were even looking for advice on how to run the place. Thought it was closed and everything for sale?
    You're probably correct. Speculation as to what would bring the place back to life as a racetrack is the overriding theme of the conversation.

As it is with all racetracks it would be a sad shame if La Salle Speedway was razed and built over. Hopefully there will be abundant opportunity for racing to once again take place.