Default LR Ext. load vs. Static wedge

What is the function of extended load on the LR? When would you adjust static wedge vs. adjusting extended load? Of course if we increase wedge on the scales we also increase extended load but if we isolate the two what is the difference?

Static load effects your deck height. Extended load in general loosens off gas entry and tightens exit. Any point in between those points effects the car when it is traveling at those levels of extension. More lr generally tightens acceleration and loosens deceleration.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

When making changes we always add/reduce Lr static load. I know guys that will change droop load but I find it easier to keep record at static because your droop (extended) load will change depending on what spring you run. Example....200# Lr spring at 650 pounds of load wont have hardly any of any at all extended load. But say a 100 or stack springs (combined to be real soft) at 650 pounds of static load will have 60-80 pounds of droop load

Less extended load, more sidebite. Yet you need to have enough static load so the car is not too lazy rolling up. If working off wheel load setup, you can be shocked at the #'s you see if you put the car on scales. With that, trying to use wheel loads to setup your car without good baseline chassis platform settings can and will consume a LOT of valuable track time.

I change whatever part of the travel I believe I need to change.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

so, what about a rocket xr1, they are supposed to be tight in, how can you loosen without changing droop as when on the bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmod13 View Post
    so, what about a rocket xr1, they are supposed to be tight in, how can you loosen without changing droop as when on the bars?
    What are you asking exactly? You can loosen the car some of the same ways you did 15 years ago. Like softer lf if off gas entry.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Loosen without affecting droop, for me, i have found more droop load helps (if not fully up on bars on entry) and more compression valving on the RR shock. That shock adjustment for our Swartz car has been really good for heavier conditions. Still cant quite figure out the slick, but that's another story.

Just say no...

Always think about what tire needs more traction, (or less) at the point of the handling adjustment, and the conditions.(on gas/off gas/high grip surface/low grip surface.) Also realize how that adjustment may compliment or degrade needed traction elsewhere on the track. Loaded question without more info. Also if you expect an older car to cut like most of the newest cars, it just isn't likely to happen the same way with out some cutting and welding, and lots of trial and error.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 08-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.

So what would be some go-to adjustments to tighten off-gas entry with (relatively) high droop load? Dropping RR lower on the frame? More LR rebound?

Just opposite of what mb just said, stiffen lf

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Just opposite of what mb just said, stiffen lf
    How about increasing LF shock compression?

I'm anything but shock expert but that should work. Thing with shocks though is their still a tuning device and the whole setup has to be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmith14b View Post
    So what would be some go-to adjustments to tighten off-gas entry with (relatively) high droop load? Dropping RR lower on the frame? More LR rebound?
    This may be getting a little advanced here but: The number one fix for loose on off gas entry with high extended load is the THROTTLE! Obviously depends on the engine (crate or open and it's rotating weight of the engine) but anything less then about 25% throttle on entry (also the length of time you are at low throttle) will not help your loose in problems.

Today's set ups are not driven the same way, you can pretty much forget the drive/coast/slow to middle and pick up the throttle days they are pretty much gone except for some rarer occasions and tracks
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 08-16-2019 at 02:36 PM.

Under what track conditions? Crate or Super? Not knowing where your at and what car (car tendencies and capabilities,available travel ranges) For me: Don't lift, see what you got, good indicator of where to go to RF,RR,LF, or LR. The goal is to run wide open, but we have to compromise...sometimes, if a crate your looking to not compromise(lift/coast)! If you have an XR1, shoot me a pm. (I prepared this before I went to dinner tonight but never hit post ...hungry and a friday night off)
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 08-16-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for the reply, CCHIEF. Crate car, no stack springs. Maybe I just need to learn to hustle. I’d prefer a car that you can drive relatively deep at half throttle and rotate, but its so loose now on entry you pretty much have to coast into the corner- and I am getting killed on entry. Happy to discuss by PM, your mailbox is full. Didn’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread.