Thumbs up RIP Vermilion County Speedway. Danville, IL. Fairboard announce Track to be bulldozed

R.I.P. Vermilion County Speedway
    Fairboard announced track to be bulldozed.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

What is a fairgrounds without a racetrack? Even crappy ones like Lawrence County Indiana that really never gets used except for small stuff during the fair.
    Scott Kleindorfer

Ok so where is this stated? I can’t find anything

Thumbs up

ONE VERY RELIABLE RACER POSTED IT.
    UMP Modified Racer Ryan Cary.

Don't think he would lie about it either.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

Understand that but I still haven’t saw anything official. All the scuttle I come across backs it up but still looking for official

Golddirt. Yeah I'm still waiting for an official announcement as well. I'm taking Ryan's word for it. Guessing he is in the know down that way
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

So sad. I grew up in Danville & VCS was my Dad's (& family's home track). It seemed like every promoter was at odds with the fairboard.
    When Bob and Angie took it over a couple years ago, I thought maybe they could turn it around. They had some good ideas.

Yes as I live down here too I actually drove by there last week and still looks decent.

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Yes as I live down here too I actually drove by there last week and still looks decent.
    IT'S OFFICIAL ON THE TRACKS FACEBOOK PAGE "Vermilion County Speedway" NOW.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA

Well this suk$. I lived in Chicago most of my life, until about 6 years ago. Went to that track many times. Always enjoyed the racing there. In the beginning myself and some friends would go there for the late model specials such as the summer nationals. In the waning days, on Sundays, I would drive from Chi town by myself just to watch the modifieds and the support classes, quite a cruise. I remember hearing rumblings from previous promoters that the Fair board was difficult to deal with. I don't understand what is with these Fair boards. I would think the races would bring in money for them. I have heard the same complaints from former promoters of the Kankakee race track, including the O'Conners, the Izzo's and others. Is it small town politics? When there was a time when Kankakee was without a promoter, prior to the time Doug Judy tried his unsuccessful attempt, I was at a race at La Salle and Bob Sargent was there. I asked him "any interest" on your part to promote Kankakee? His reply was no way. So I guess another falling flag, another one bites the dust. So sad. I really hope this is the last announcement of a race track closing for a very long time.

Alright fellas got a question and on this forum is the only place I’ve ever heard this name used before. What the hell is a Fair Board ?

A group of people responsible for the fairgrounds and what not

Fair Board is short for Board of Directors for Fair corporation, typically a non-profit corporation. They have some regulations in regards to fair, but for the most part are independently operated like any non-profit. Their main business drivers are taking care of their assets and preserving fair operations. They will do things to earn income to support fair operations. If things (such as a race track) are detrimental to those efforts, it's the board's choice whether or not to maintain those facilities or move on and try something else. In this case, they're chosing to move on.

Thanks guys I understand now what it is. Fair Board ain’t a term used much in the south so I was unfamiliar with exactly what it was.

We went to Danville one night for a Northern All star race. Pretty good night of racing. Got to talk with Aubrey Tinsley for a good while. Nice guy, he drove a budget late model back then.