Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you could build a track what would it be like?

I would build a 3/8 mile track with banking 15 to 20 degrees in the turns and maybe wide turns for 3 and 4 wide racing with dark clay.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    I would build a 3/8 mile track with banking 15 to 20 degrees in the turns and maybe wide turns for 3 and 4 wide racing with dark clay.
    Yep. About that. Just somehow make sure it isn’t bottom or top dominant.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

yep, but Id have a wall around it. about 15 degrees of banking, a roof over the grandstand.

Knoxville with a little more banking with that awesome black dirt!

......Fairbury

Wythe speedway inside the facility of VA motor speedway.

A clone of Flemington with a little more banking.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I would build it the exact same size as the legendary Ascot Park that ran out in California with the same killer dirt. It would have covered yet open air grandstands. A indoor air-conditioned full bar and lounge. It would have air-conditioned huge bathrooms. Aluminum grandstands with backs on them and "extra" leg room!

Then for the "boozers" like me, a outdoor beer garden with covered tables, umbrella style. I would have the yellow fizzy beer for the lightweights like Bud, Miller, and Coors light on tap and in cans. The for the premium beer crowd like me, Heineken, St. Pauli Girl, Molson, and Becks on tap only,Mmmm!

For food, besides the usual fare on burgers, dogs, fries nacho's and popcorn would be at least one specialty item such as real street tacos, Burritos, and or some tasty Sammy like Philly Cheese Steaks.

There would be walls, Musco lighting and a premium sound system. (Like Perris in Cali) All the pits would be out side the track, an empty infield for good sight lines. Also top notch track equipment, graders, water trucks, sheepsfoots, mid-size wheeled tractors, and multiple wreckers and at least one flatbed.

All areas from the parking lot and area around concession and seats paved. Wi-Fi and device charging stations too. A small playground for the kids.

And I can dream on this, cuz this track I would have in Alabama, I would book the Lucas Oil Late Models, WoO Sprints,SAS, Durrence Layne, USCS Sprints and a big fantasy would have the Non-Wing USAC Series for Sprints and Midgets.

A regular show my line-up that would vary from week to week.
    Super Late Models
    DL 604 LM
    DL 602 LM
    Modifieds
    Hot Shots

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer...….above is a powerball fantasy,lol.

I wish we could go back to the half mile track glory days. Too many half mile tracks getting cut down to a quarter mile anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ride height View Post
    ......Fairbury
    Yep. Built lower in the ground like Pevely. More seating options. Suites, grass berms, picnic tables, beer garden.

Ponderosa... but with beer.

Thumbs up

I've thought about this a lot over the last few years.
    Here is my thoughts on this
    I would build or have a track modeled after just one track in particular but multiple tracks and take the best of each and try to put some together that is great for all involved.

If I had a track built I would like it to be a combo of different tracks put together. I'll explain.
    Boone, Brownstown, Eldora, Fairbury, Farmer City, Gas City Hartford, Kankakee, Kokomo, LaSalle.

Eldora & Hartford - Fan Friendly prices with decent food prices as well.
    Boone, Fairbury, Kokomo, & LaSalle - A cross between these 4 tracks - Very racy for the drivers to race on.
    Eldora, Farmer City, & Kankakee - Large pit area to accommodate a large field of cars.
    Brownstown - Back Straightaway wall is a good distance off the racing line but still is there
    Brownstown & Gas City - Wall in the corner is way of the track
    Kokomo - Large fence to help with keeping cars inside the race track.
    Boone & Fairbury - Have some kind of cat walk for fans to watch from. I like how Boone has theirs set up.
    Fairbury, Eldora & Hartford - Larger grandstands to accommodate a huge crowd for bigger events.
    Fairbury - A promoter that can get it done the right way

Nothing larger then a 1/3 mile black dirt / clay mixture surface that holds moisture that even when slicked off is still very racy with great track prep.
    Wide Semi-banked about like Fairbury & Kokomo.

There used to be an old saying: "If the payout is good enough they will come" which isn't always true but that would be a good place to start with having good payouts.

As far as classes racing weekly - I still haven't figured that one out yet. No more then 4 classes
    Classes to pick from for a weekly show or a special show:
    410 Winged Sprints
    Super Late Models
    410 Non-Wing Sprints
    360 Winged Sprints
    RaceSaver 305 Wing Sprints
    Open Wheel Modifieds - AMRA/ UMP / USRA Style
    Crate Late Models
    B-Mods
    Sportsman / Super Stocks
    Street Stocks / Super Streets
    Bombers / Thunder Cars / Pure Streets
    1200cc / 1000cc Wing Mini Sprints
    Mini Stocks.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 08-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

there you go LMM , i like that idea , preacher , you listening? only thing is , you would have to charge 50 bucks a head admission....lol.....

3/8 mile egg shaped track with moderate banking on the long turn and high banking on the small turn. Something different lol.

Lernerville with good clay, I'd make the corners wider and then shorten the straightaways, take banking out of the corners which I think would give it more grooves top to bottom.

Specials only format,. 2 division racing. Talk to the people that make it happen ( sponsors) and do what your suppose to do. Promote the sponsors.

Treat fans and racers alike.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    there you go LMM , i like that idea , preacher , you listening? only thing is , you would have to charge 50 bucks a head admission....lol.....
    Not if you had fully nude dancers on site. You could have all that extra money go to the purse

Bloomer was asked about this a few years ago and if i remember correctly he said in the 3/8s range with somthing like a diamond shaped inside groove and a traditional out side with progressive banking. His thoughts were you could race all over it most of the time. I may have some of the specifics wrong is been a while. But if some were to find that article it was alot if Good ideas

exactly like i55 with fairbury dirt

Just a little bit wider version of Macon. That place is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Just a little bit wider version of Macon. That place is awesome.
    and/or Eastbay!