Thread: flat track help

Default flat track help

Im struggling on a 1/4 mile flat track that's mostly round. I have a 2017nsmackdown. The car is pretty good every where we go but this track. I am alittle tight in but can't seem to be free enough through the center. You really have to drive sideways around the track. We are stacked on the rear with 690 lbs of load and 150 extended droop. the rf is stacked on an olins bump arounf 2060 at 4". bar angles are 48deg lru ext and 10 deg lrl at ride height. The right side is standard 3deg and 18 deg. We have tried different loads on the rr but still struggle. Last time was our best there we were about 2 twenths off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can add toe in to the RR upper bar. It frees up a smackdown fairly dramatically. It adds roll steer at peak travel. Maybe not the ideal fix, but its a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmith14b View Post
    You can add toe in to the RR upper bar. It frees up a smackdown fairly dramatically. It adds roll steer at peak travel. Maybe not the ideal fix, but its a quick fix.
    We have the upper bar in over an inch. That seemed to help but still needs to be a little more free. This car has been updated to the bolt in ladders. I think we may try to lengthen the right side bars 1/2 inch. The car is really close just don't want to change a lot of stuff. We have been running about 6 3/4 rake in the jbar also. Thought we might go down 1/4 to 1/2?

On the gas or off?

Stiffen the RR compression in the shock.

Index the RR top bar down on the birdcage. This is a big move, i usually do this on a small track, really steers on the fuel.

RR Lower bar up on hole, more angle.

Trail the rear end, 1/2" is a bit much, but a good move.

More droop load in the LR. Up on the bars at all times?

Just some ideas.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    On the gas or off?

Stiffen the RR compression in the shock.

Index the RR top bar down on the birdcage. This is a big move, i usually do this on a small track, really steers on the fuel.

RR Lower bar up on hole, more angle.

Trail the rear end, 1/2" is a bit much, but a good move.

More droop load in the LR. Up on the bars at all times?

Just some ideas.
    We did try moving the right up on the frame but it made it turn too much on the gas. I need to go in the turn on the fuel but not wide open. When I try to go in on the gas it just goes up the track not bad but half a car width or so after that its a rocket off the corner. If I lower the top on the cage wont that make it steer more on the gas? I think what I really need is to be able to get in alittle more sideways to be able to drive around the corner. Its a unique track. Its pretty slow and requires the car to be tight off if its not it will just tail out. Been challenging to say the least. We are on a 225 right rear with 275 ilbs but have been as high as 350 on the load.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dirtman47 View Post
    We have the upper bar in over an inch. That seemed to help but still needs to be a little more free. This car has been updated to the bolt in ladders. I think we may try to lengthen the right side bars 1/2 inch. The car is really close just don't want to change a lot of stuff. We have been running about 6 3/4 rake in the jbar also. Thought we might go down 1/4 to 1/2?
    Adding 1/2" of trail is a really BIG swing at it! ................. The 1/4 " @ frame seems much more viable.... looking for 2 tenths An adjustment that allows you to be in the gas more thru the corner is where it's at. PH bar seems viable adjustment, based on your description of what's needed.
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 08-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.

From what you say you think you need the jbar would be a good swing it's going to loosen off throttle/ decel handling but it will tighten car on fuel in exit. But be careful if you get to much rake out of the jbar it can really upset the balance of the car

Try indexing rr upper down on birdcage. Did this regularly on a rocket when had slight throttle push early in corner to mid turn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Try indexing rr upper down on birdcage. Did this regularly on a rocket when had slight throttle push early in corner to mid turn
    just curious , did you mean move the rr upper down on the bird cage , or indexing the bird cage itself ?

Indexing the top bar down should I lower the entire bar frame and cage? If I do that will it free it up every where? We put more rebound in it last time thinking it would help keep it over on the right rear. We have only been there 3 times but have been tight in every time. Thank you for the input.

More rebound in the right rear is generally gonna make you tighter everywhere so that might have been a bad move

RR upper bar down on birdcage