Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The real problem in racing!

What a terrible race, money wasted on the ppv. Honestly it seems almost every race sucks lately, and I dont want to stop watching the sport I love it. Its time to change the noses,and shock packages, these cars get in free air and then the racing sucks, and do what they can to stop the spending madness the top 20 plus teams are doing. Watching the race tonight was like watching a boring a@@ Nascar race. And now they even have a lucky dog. Im telling you, expect lower and lower car counts unless something is done to save the sport. You see it more and more, drivers saying why bother, we dont have a chance and they are staying away more often.

Fans doing the same. I used to hit 3 a week now probably not 10 a year.

DLM racing been gone a longtime...
    If you're over 40 you agree or you're just kidding yourself...
    Cars still going in circles...yes
    Cars racing in circles...rarely
    I use to hit 20 a year...
    Seen couple in last several years which all sucked...
    But some idiots like cars that go ard and rd...
    Dirt racing is as sorry as Nascarp but luckily they're still diehard idiots to keep em afloat...

Great side by side racing at Shawano Tonite...dry slick down low with a ton of traction up top. Packed house, too.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I have seen really good racing this year with good car counts and great crowds in the grandstands. There is more than just passing that makes a good race. It is good to just observe great driving ability and appreciate the effort put forth by a driver to win a race. There are a lot of young new comers making a name in racing. Racing is not all doom and gloom.

Lots of good racing going on all over the country, at a local track near you. Try one. It doesn't have to be a 50,000 to win show to be a good show. I love to see the big ones too, but the local show with a few guys you never heard of racing for $1500 to win or less can be a great time. It may die at the level you are speaking of, but there is still life at other venues.

The OP isn't wrong. They can't race like they used to. If the guy in second slides the guy in first, the guy losing the lead can wreck just from losing air on his nose. Aero dependency has no place in short track racing and it is here.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The biggest problem were I live is everybody wants too run 6 to 9 classes you have too sit at the race track all night to see a race it's like going to work when you sit there 6 or 7 hours I don't care if I go or not I been going to races for 50 years an on top of that the race track is wore out by the time you get to slam feature.

That is why everybody post now wanting to know the running order of events at the race track that means they are running so many classes they are trying to figure out how long they are going to sit there.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    That is why everybody post now wanting to know the running order of events at the race track that means they are running so many classes they are trying to figure out how long they are going to sit there.
    You are right about that too. I try to avoid shows with 6 classes and shows that qualify everything but the water truck. Qualifying is especially bad if the next day is a work day.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

The racing at Florence Speedway was great last night. Josh Rice made a last-lap, turn 3/4 pass on Scott James for the win. Lots of side-by-side racing too. They had 24 Super Late Models for a regular show for the first time in a long while too. I think MRP cancelled on Friday so that helped the car count. It was their free night at the track and it was packed almost like a Lucas race.
    Last edited by Gary; 08-25-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nc mudcat View Post
    Lots of good racing going on all over the country, at a local track near you. Try one. It doesn't have to be a 50,000 to win show to be a good show. I love to see the big ones too, but the local show with a few guys you never heard of racing for $1500 to win or less can be a great time. It may die at the level you are speaking of, but there is still life at other venues.
    Totally Agree... Big Shows cost fans big $$$ (travel, lodging, eats) too many disappointing choo choo ending for me to shell out that kind of $$$... I was raised on Barren County Speedway races so guess my expectations are little too high for today's promoters and lack of track prep...

nooooo inverts.....more drivers have a chance to win and fans get to see a race, not follow the leader

some of the best races I've seen in last 2 years was weekly show not even late models. mods and street stock. just think it's funny when fans leave after late models are done. street stock 3 wide at the finish and 3rd car won

Generally I won’t travel much more than two or three hours for a late model special anymore, will take my chance on a weekly show with good mod and street stock races. Everyone is jumping on Mansfield but disappointing races aren’t new, went to some stinkers 20-30 years ago.
    I hate time trials.

Quote Originally Posted by t4g2 View Post
    some of the best races I've seen in last 2 years was weekly show not even late models. mods and street stock. just think it's funny when fans leave after late models are done. street stock 3 wide at the finish and 3rd car won
    Agreed. Some of the best racing I've seen has come from the Modified and Hornet(4cyl.) divisions. We used to stay for all the racing at my local track, Florence Speedway, when it was just the Super Late Models, Modified and Pure Stock divisions. Then they added the Hornets, then the Crate Late Models and then the Sport Modifieds. Five classes racing makes for a long night so we leave most nights after the Super Late Model and Modifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The racing at Florence Speedway was great last night. Josh Rice made a last-lap, turn 4 pass on Scott James for the win. Lots of side-by-side racing too. They had 24 Super Late Models for a regular show for the first time in a long while too. I think MRP cancelled on Friday so that helped the car count. It was their free night at the track and it was packed almost like a Lucas race.
    Luckily, he was 4 tenths better and the slider was there.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The racing at Florence Speedway was great last night. Josh Rice made a last-lap, turn 4 pass on Scott James for the win. Lots of side-by-side racing too. They had 24 Super Late Models for a regular show for the first time in a long while too. I think MRP cancelled on Friday so that helped the car count. It was their free night at the track and it was packed almost like a Lucas race.
    I wasn't there, but that is good to hear. My son probably was. I am getting kind of long in the tooth and don't feel like going as much as I used too. But I am always there in spirit

The REAL problem is that everyone thinks the next race they go to watch should be the best race ever!

Anymore I blame the tracks and not the cars as the cars are still producing some great racing when the tracks allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    The REAL problem is that everyone thinks the next race they go to watch should be the best race ever!

Anymore I blame the tracks and not the cars as the cars are still producing some great racing when the tracks allow it.
    I totally agree with your first statement!

Having been in this sport for nearly 30 years, the racing today is wayyyyyyy better than it was when I started!The spring behind has made the racing better, tenfold!