Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Race track food

Every time I'm at the track I gotta get some onion chips. As a side note, I remember as a teenager I worked the concession stand at I-55 and we were always trying to experiment with the different food items. The ideas we came up with were rarely any good. Just a bunch of kids playing around with the fryers really. We deep fried hamburgers, bratwurst, pickles, you name it. Most of the time we just smothered foods in the nacho cheese sauce and called it a day.

Onion chips??? Tell me about those.

I worked in a few beachside hamburger , ice cream joints in high school and we did the same thing with the fryers.......only thing we ever did that really stuck was the bacon wrapped hotdog that we fried up and hammered it with the cheese.

Surprised we didn't burn the place down....bunch of stupid surfer kids running a business while the owner wasn't there.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Lucas oil speedway. Nobody beats that, unless it’s a food truck with good food that visits a track.

Pizza and burgers are too "heavy" for me, I prefer to order something lighter and healthier from Daily Harvest. daily harvest customer service makes it possible 24/7 , the prices are rather loyal as for me, and the quality of food is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by samgood View Post
    Pizza and burgers are too "heavy" for me, I prefer to order something lighter and healthier from Daily Harvest. daily harvest customer service makes it possible 24/7 , the prices are rather loyal as for me, and the quality of food is superb.
    As for me, I'll just wait for the Schwan's truck to come around. The jumbo shrimp and ice cream are what some might say " TO DIE FOR " ! !

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spoon River steamburger🤔
    8/13/16

My buddy used to cook at some large RC events in the area and he would steam burgers with water and a couple drops of liquid smoke( stuff I normally hate)….but they sold like heck and were actually really good with the right stuff on them.

He would sear them on both sides and then put them in his steamer to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by samgood View Post
    Plenty of rest room stalls for the screamers these days. I remember when the place only had two stools with no doors, lol

And a blind man selling pencils at the restroom entrance.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Food prices aren’t bad for the million. I just saw the pics of the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford.Justice View Post
    Plenty of rest room stalls for the screamers these days. I remember when the place only had two stools with no doors, lolAnd a blind man selling pencils at the restroom entrance.
    Ah ; How I long for the good old days ! !

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the Spoon River steamburger樂
    That's one that you can't go wrong with. Doing a Spoonburger with cheese, now we're talkin'.
    Or, if you're adventurous that Nachos with Spoonburger meat.... that's my favorite.

Back in the 70's, lol some of you may have not been born, Don Martin's Lernerville speedway had the best food you could find. Fish sandwiches with a 10" pc of fish on the bun, they ladies that ran that concession stand should go down in history. My choice most Friday's was there hot sausage on a semi hard roll, peanuts from I believe it was the lions, we'd let them sit on trailer and eat them all night. Then my speed sport and AARN. We'd get in the pits and immediately head over to the concession stand, that line used to be huge. I'll tell ya, to bring those days back. In a heartbeat.

the onion chips at pevely were pretty good they should bring them back. they just needed some kind of dip for them besides ketchup. same for the cheese sticks.

So I tried the steam burger last night using bubba burgers….figured they would be at their worst using frozen Pattie’s.
    Unbelievable how good they were, even frozen…..I cheated and put a little beer and onion in with the water I was steaming with. Seasoned them up, and steamed them for about 15 minutes and dropped a chunk of sharp cheddar on it to melt.
    I’ve eaten at a bunch of places in my life and have been to as many roadside burger, bbq and fish joints as anybody and until the other night had never heard of a steam burger, thanks for sharing that.

It’s going in the rotation…..next time with fresh hamburger.

West Liberty use to have great tenderloin sandwiches (and every fair race in Iowa). I sure miss the fair food from back then, only thing that could replace would be good barbecue...maybe someone could bring a bit to one of the Steel Block Bandit races this year.....I believe there is still a race at Lakeview....

Quote Originally Posted by EvelB7 View Post
    West Liberty use to have great tenderloin sandwiches (and every fair race in Iowa). I sure miss the fair food from back then, only thing that could replace would be good barbecue...maybe someone could bring a bit to one of the Steel Block Bandit races this year.....I believe there is still a race at Lakeview....
    Try 521 BBQ (not bad)

Hard to beat Alltechs redneck nacho's........smoked pork butt over fries, with cheese sauce, jalapenos, ranch, and bbq sauce!!!

Green Chili burrito at Devils Bowl. Ribs at Manzanita.

Lord that sounds good at devils bowl……nothing better than authentic Tex/mex.