Default Bigger driver set up issues

We have a big driver, 6'3" and a little over 300lbs. We run a 2018 Rocket XR1 and cannot get the car to be consistent. Using a few set ups from Rocket, having shocks done the way Rocket supposedly has theirs done and cannot get the car to be consistent at all. I know percentages are percentages but are people changing up their shock builds and percentages to make up for a larger driver in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and the automatic left side weight? This is the only thing that I can think is having an affect on our set ups and ultimately the finishes we are getting. The car has the best of the best on it. It is meticulously maintained, everything if free of binds etc. If I am indeed hitting on the larger driver and weight being an issue, how do we overcome that and get the car to perform the way the other XR1's are. I know that's a broad question but does anyone have any experience overcoming an inconsistent car with a big driver in the seat? Are the left side shocks built differently? Do we raise the left rear bars higher to get more rear steer due to the weight? Im just racking my brain to come up with ideas about how to get this car handling and driving like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    We have a big driver, 6'3" and a little over 300lbs. We run a 2018 Rocket XR1 and cannot get the car to be consistent. Using a few set ups from Rocket, having shocks done the way Rocket supposedly has theirs done and cannot get the car to be consistent at all. I know percentages are percentages but are people changing up their shock builds and percentages to make up for a larger driver in the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit and the automatic left side weight? This is the only thing that I can think is having an affect on our set ups and ultimately the finishes we are getting. The car has the best of the best on it. It is meticulously maintained, everything if free of binds etc. If I am indeed hitting on the larger driver and weight being an issue, how do we overcome that and get the car to perform the way the other XR1's are. I know that's a broad question but does anyone have any experience overcoming an inconsistent car with a big driver in the seat? Are the left side shocks built differently? Do we raise the left rear bars higher to get more rear steer due to the weight? Im just racking my brain to come up with ideas about how to get this car handling and driving like the others.
    I'm going to throw this out there and let you decide (and no I'm not being a smart tail here) a heaver car will handle better, it may not accelerate as fast but it will handle better

What's it not doing? It is probably going to be a bit less resistant to roll. Just fix that. Hint:. Do not alter geometry if you want it to drive like cars with baseline geometry.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

What is inconsistent about the car? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Within the same set of laps, from track to track, or night to night at same track?
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 08-25-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Mastersbilt, you're right. The car doesn't seem to roll over and getting up on the bars and/or staying there seems to be an issue. I guess my question was more of a physics question. I've been told that the chassis builders build the cars with an "average" driver in mind. That being between 150 and 200lbs. That being said, at what point do changes need to be made to set ups and shock builds to over come the heavier than average driver? I mean if car is not getting up on bars, I know there are 10 different reasons. I'm just trying to think outside of the box and wanted to see if anyone else had issues like this wit a larger driver?

Mastersbilt, you're right. The car doesn't seem to roll over and getting up on the bars and/or staying there seems to be an issue. I guess my question was more of a physics question. I've been told that the chassis builders build the cars with an "average" driver in mind. That being between 150 and 200lbs. That being said, at what point do changes need to be made to set ups and shock builds to over come the heavier than average driver? I mean if car is not getting up on bars, I know there are 10 different reasons. I'm just trying to think outside of the box and wanted to see if anyone else had issues like this wit a larger driver?
    You fix the center of gravity issue instead of reinvent the wheel, at least that's what I would do.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Johnny Collins used to soften up his right side springs and other stuff, I'd try a simple approach first. Get some high weight mounted right of the current CG.

Then get the driver on a keto diet.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I agree with masters and i don't know any reason why a bigger driver would make a car inconsistent. Different yes but not inconsistent. Most larger drivers I've dealt with have to be very good with their throttle and braking technique (not that everybody shouldn't) but if a big guy goes out for a feature that's black slick and dumps the fuel on entry like it's a light switch the car may be very different than it was in his tacky maybe even wide open heat race.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Johnny Collins used to soften up his right side springs and other stuff, I'd try a simple approach first. Get some high weight mounted right of the current CG.

Then get the driver on a keto diet.
    You know most on here are thinking......who the heck is that? lol

But.....he was a "tad" overweight and a pretty good racer back in the day!

Werent you and him teammates years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    You know most on here are thinking......who the heck is that? lol

But.....he was a "tad" overweight and a pretty good racer back in the day!

Werent you and him teammates years ago?
    No sir. You have me confused with someone else. I never turned a lap during my years living in FL, only wrenched. Its been quite some time since I have driven period, but this username has been with me for well over 2 decades now.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No sir. You have me confused with someone else. I never turned a lap during my years living in FL, only wrenched. Its been quite some time since I have driven period, but this username has been with me for well over 2 decades now.
    gotcha.......You musta turned wrenches on Sheltras car then???

Wow there's name hadn't heard in long time. What ever become of that team and driver?

gotcha.......You musta turned wrenches on Sheltras car then???
    No sir. Jay Johnson. From like 09-12, or something like that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

No sir. Jay Johnson. From like 09-12, or something like that.
    JJ from Ga? If so, we crossed paths many nights.

JJ from Ga? If so, we crossed paths many nights.
    Yes sir......
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1