Thread: 5th coil

Question 5th coil

Saw this on the Shepp thread in the gossip section and the original poster was referring to the blue #1 car.

"Remote control shocks and trick 5th coils, that car could be radio controlled without a driver in the seat at all and still win..."

thoughts on this statement in the tech section? hearsay or are there magic 5th coils, etc.?

I have heard good things about the Advanced PD 5th coil deal, digressive spring type thing. Also Air springs from Penske, or Air dumps, havnt talked to anyone that has run one.

Just say no...

Building my own version with a Penske. Will update on results when I get it on the car. Currently on the tried and true Rocket 300# spring. We're fast now but as always it's a #neverendingquestforspeed.

Oh, and i have also seen the 5th coil be made up of bump stops. The entire spring removed, and the X amount of shaft available covered with bump stops. Looked like a couple different stops, but it was interesting.

Just say no...

I've seen bump stops on 5th coil without springs and I don't get it - wouldn't that be stiffer than a 300lb spring at ~3" of travel? And wouldn't it do the opposite of the Penske air dump? And ARS digressive 5th coil?

Quote Originally Posted by MachineMasters View Post
    I've seen bump stops on 5th coil without springs and I don't get it - wouldn't that be stiffer than a 300lb spring at ~3" of travel? And wouldn't it do the opposite of the Penske air dump? And ARS digressive 5th coil?
    It could be softer or stiffer. Yes, it would not be digressive. Is it a proven fact digressive is better?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I hope so or I've wasted a lot of time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MachineMasters View Post
    Saw this on the Shepp thread in the gossip section and the original poster was referring to the blue #1 car.

"Remote control shocks and trick 5th coils, that car could be radio controlled without a driver in the seat at all and still win..."

thoughts on this statement in the tech section? hearsay or are there magic 5th coils, etc.?
    Remote or data logging shock stuff: These have been out for a very very long time in different forms, one of the later ones is this.

It's widely known about and is checked for, heck I even been checked for it at a small crate race. Your not going to get this past a reasonable tech guy, let alone Lucas or WoO as they check for it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by bullittwrench View Post
    I hope so or I've wasted a lot of time. LOL
    A lot of time and money has been wasted on snake oil racing parts. Lol. I have no test data to say one way or the other. There is one reason why I think there is some merit to it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

in theory , it has to work , in real world , its like every thing , there is more to it than just bolting it on....i hope this discussion continues as more people experience it , so far , i think krom is the only one on here willing to try it , or there just not saying....lol....

We have run a digressive set up on the fifth coil and that particular day of testing it was no better on the stop watch but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its place

this is true jking24 , you were probably already dialed in pretty good on that particular track with what ever you were running , thats why i would think there are other changes that need to be made to complement it.....jmo....