Default North Georgia Speedway

Sorry if it has been posted already but, has anyone heard of North Georgia Speedway shutting down? I know there's always rumors, but anything substantial, or straight from the promoter's mouth? My wife said she saw something on FB about it but I couldn't find the post.

I sure hope it's not true or if it is I hope there is someone else willing and able to step in and take it over. That is too good of a track to let it get bulldozed for another subdivision. One of my favorite tracks of all time.

We really gotta get our local racing back on track or it won't be long before our sport is extinct.

They cut all the scheduled Thursday races for the year. Although they were trying something new, racing consistently on a weekday tends to be a pretty tough sell in this area. They still have a few races left on their schedule that are on Saturdays, but I've not heard anything about cutting those out at this point.

Its still on North Georgia Speedway facebook, that its shut down ! - Looks like Tn National Speedway and North Georgia both just run in spurts, and can't have a good solid season !

Kevin Burke posted on Facebook that he was done with promoting/track prep and that Chip would be after one more race this season. Assuming maybe the Turkey Rumble?

Packed house at the Lucas race. Beyond packed. U’d think they’d still have bread left from that race. Lol
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

This is going to ramble a bit, so buckle up.

First off regardless of how I or anyone else feels about how NGS has been ran, it’s never been my money on the line. It takes some guts to sign a lease on a race track these days so kudos on that part. Kevin has always been a good dude as well. There may have been a couple of nights where I didn’t agree with him, but I generally like Kevin.

The last race was simply put, bad. Rain ruts we’re still very visible upon arrival and it just wasn’t much to watch. Don’t need a foot tall cushion to be good, but just appeared to not have been prepped much.

I don’t see NGS as a viable weekly race track currently. It would make a fantastic 8-10 show a year venue for a while then reevaluate. It can be fantastic. It needs to be consistently so and just consistent in general over a few years to win people back. Good scheduling, good attitudes, and time would be needed to change the mojo of the place.

I know I’ll get some “if you have all the answers go do it” comments, and maybe they’re warranted. I simply don’t have the time or honestly the patience (or temperament most days) to do it.

That place is inside me though. I’ve grown up there, laughed there, cried there (the last ride for 39 knowing his car owner was not going to make it is forever in my head), fought there, loved there (or something like that), it’s forever my home track. The people in those stands are family (hell about 1/4 of them might actually be) even if we don’t always get along. I want it around forever even if it’s in a limited capacity.

I for one have been very critical of Kevin and the way he ran North Georgia Speedway from all the Friday night practices before big races on Saturday to not working the track on race day to make sure the racing was at it's best. With all that being said I applaud Kevin for giving it a go and working his tail off to make sure North Georgia stayed open. Like B_K I group up going to North Georgia it as an all ways will be my favorite race track in the country and it will all ways be my forever home track even though I'm 15 minutes away from Tri-County race track. I hope somebody can get it and run it the way the ol girl should be ran.

Did Dale McDowell help promote North Georgia Speedway, or was that just for the Lucas race?

Always and forever will be my favorite track. It still has the magic in it from early 2000s. We saw that at the Lucas race. Whoever runs it has my support, because I will be there every time the gates open. They also will have my criticism when it's bad and praise when it's good. Hope it can stay afloat and give me many more racing memories.

Quote Originally Posted by castone View Post
    Did Dale McDowell help promote North Georgia Speedway, or was that just for the Lucas race?
    Don’t think he was the promoter, just helps with track prep