Default Barnes Single Stage Oil Pressure

Bought a new engine that runs off a single stage external oil pump and bought a new Barnes single stage pump to go with it. Pressure at idle is around 50 psi. At 4000 RPM the oil pressure gauge pegs the needle out. Any ideas on what could cause this? Does the pressure screw need to be ran in or out?

That may help but their is only so much adjustment you may need a different spring or to trim the existing one i would try ajusting it first but if it's not too a usable range after about four turns i would call barnes and they can guide you on your next move

never had a barns , but if there like weaver , they offer several different springs , probably look on line or call them like jking suggested..to much oil pressure can be worse than low oil pressure sometimes.....one other thing , i had a new pump pick up a tiny piece of trash one time and stuck the poppet closed , you might want to take poppet out and check it , no big deal to do.....
    Last edited by fastford; 08-31-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    never had a barns , but if there like weaver , they offer several different springs , probably look on line or call them like jking suggested..to much oil pressure can be worse than low oil pressure sometimes.....one other thing , i had a new pump pick up a tiny piece of trash one time and stuck the poppet closed , you might want to take poppet out and check it , no big deal to do.....
    Agreed quick easy check

Slow the pump down. You do not want to spin the pump too fast, and then bypass lots of extra oil volume to control pressure.