Thread: Watering tracks

Default Watering tracks

Would it be possible to install an irrigation system on some of these tracks maybe on the outside wall out of danger and maybe on the inside wall somehow. The track could water the racetracks more effectively and efficient. Just an idea. What do you guys think?

Portsmouth has one....the track floods annually to the top of the catch fence and it still looks like the great dust bowl.
    I want URR Unified Rules Racing .

Quote Originally Posted by lazyifoto View Post
    Portsmouth has one....the track floods annually to the top of the catch fence and it still looks like the great dust bowl.
    It gets dusty because it sits flooded out for months at a time. All that dust is river silt.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I know i am local
    I want URR Unified Rules Racing .

One of my favorite tracks no matter how much water they put on it is always a dust bowl. Even with new clay. I don’t really understand why. I mean you get a coating of fine red dust and the sky kinda looks like, I don’t know if any of y’all have been to Iraq, but like one of them orange crush sand storms over there. No idea why.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Every surface is different but the secret to a tacky surface is to water it for two nights before race day and again in the AM...ymmv.

Gotta soak it...then the moisture will come up as the cars drive on it.

And most tracks don't need to be heavily farmed every week...just grade it and condition the top three inches or so on race day.

Look at the you tube videos that show how they prep the track for the IMCA SuperNationals at Boone, IA. Those boys have their act.together.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

WVMS had a legitimate irrigation system a long time ago. They didn’t maintain it, and quit using it.

With the technology now in irrigation, it would definitely work and be doable.

Bury your main below frost line, have all the heads protected, drain it when it’s cold. Every year you’ll have maintenance, but it’s definitely doable if you have it installed correctly.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

CnB nailed it. WVMS had one, but guessing it was never correctly winterized, being that the heads were above normal ground, and guessing the main feed line was too, very little natural insulation.

I couldn't believe it when Dad told me that was a thing, but truly state of the art back then.

Still all just sad about that place. Glad I got to see one of the last races on the big track, even if it was a CHoo Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Every surface is different but the secret to a tacky surface is to water it for two nights before race day and again in the AM...ymmv.

Gotta soak it...then the moisture will come up as the cars drive on it.

And most tracks don't need to be heavily farmed every week...just grade it and condition the top three inches or so on race day.

Look at the you tube videos that show how they prep the track for the IMCA SuperNationals at Boone, IA. Those boys have their act.together.
    I don't think most tracks are going to do what Boone does, nor do I think what they do is the be all, end all of track prep. Just ask the guys out for the first heats after a farming session, its a slimy slick mess for at least 2 races. Not only that, but that track is at least 20% wood chips and the rest Iowa Black Dirt, not clay. They do a good job with that track the way it is, I'm personally not a fan of the wood chips but with the number of cars and races on it during the week of nationals it holds up and if you aren't watching right after they farm it there is good racing.

Take a look at what the military does to roads or helicopters landing pads. There is a way to stop dust

You can’t compare that black dirt in Iowa and Illinois to what most of the dirt racing world has. It’s like two different sports. And don’t get me started on red clay. I’m not sure it’s even possible to prep it perfectly for a big late model show.

Unfortunately, not every track in Iowa takes advantage of the black clay. Independence, for example, has incredibly sandy river clay. It's like racing in a sand box. Vinton has black dirt, but it's mostly topsoil. The track will start out a muddy mess and quickly dries out before the night's over because there isn't enough clay in it to hold the moisture.

I think Superior in Wisconsin had an irrigation system a long time ago.

The real money will be to who can figure out how to make an affordable jet dryer type device so you can dry the track and work it after rainfall.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    The real money will be to who can figure out how to make an affordable jet dryer type device so you can dry the track and work it after rainfall.
    Depends on what you find affordable. Boone has used jet dryers for Supernationals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ607LhPLrA

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    Depends on what you find affordable. Boone has used jet dryers for Supernationals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ607LhPLrA
    True, but they were rented/borrowed from the Iowa Speedway so its not like they own them.

I've already rented four trash pumps to drain thousands of gallons of water off the track just to save a special event. The $1,000 I spent was a pittance compared to the investment I made in advertising and show money for racers with a long tow.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Boyds Speedway in Chattanooga has/had a sprinkling system on the outside wall and could water when they wanted.

usually they kept the bottom plenty wet to keep the cars up and the dust down.

Marysville (CA) Raceway had a watering system that ran along the top of the walls, and the owner/promoter posted either on here or some other forum that it was a waste of time and money (mainly due to the challenges of evenly/consistently watering the surface while fighting changing winds, IIRC)