Default Early style Bert transmission info...

I've been looking for a Bert transmission that I could afford. I've seen dozens at $800-1000 but buying one sight unseen is a good way to buy a project when you don't want one.

Anywho I got a line on a trans that a driver's Dad had for sale. Looked at it last night at the Dirt King's race at Seymour, WI and bought it.

The price was right and it's fresh with zero laps... new clutches and most gears are new. I trust the guy selling it... part of a good honest family.

The only thing it's an early model with the longer case and tailshaft. Looks like a Muncie case to be honest. I believe Bert's early ones were a close copy of the Muncie case. Might be two inches longer?

It's not a real issue for me... I'll need to fab a driveshaft anyway so the length is not an issue. And I'm told the extra room that the larger side cover gives you makes it a snap to change clutches. Don't know never worked on one.

Likely the tailshaft has short splines on it but I don't think that will be an issue on my old MB.

Any comments or suggestions?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I have never seen one and can't find any pictures. Post a pic for us.

Quote Originally Posted by racer2e View Post
    I have never seen one and can't find any pictures. Post a pic for us.
    Looks just like a Muncie. Has a slighty larger side cover than the Bert Gen1 now sold. Uses the same internals.

The original Bert's were made from GM Muncie cases from what I understand.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.racingjun...ansmission.jpg
    Last edited by Krooser; 09-22-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Class of 2019

And I bought a QC project from 4M member Janke Racing last fall. Didn't have a yoke on it.

Adam sent me a message today saying he found my QC yoke and a set of plug wires I bought. Won't be long and I'll be looking for the directions for assembling a Smackdown car.

This weekend I'm scrapping an old WISSOTA super stock that I bought a couple years before I got the late model bug. I really like that class but my nearest track right now is just shy of 200 miles north... and my hauler has a 460 engine. Nope...
    Class of 2019