Default Brake shut off questions and what's with those Rocket shortening brackets?

Got a vintage Wilwood electric brake shut off in stock. Do they hold up well or should I bite the bullit and buy a new one. That's $155.00 that could go to other stuff I need.

And... what about those brackets you see on the lower rear bar on Rockets? I know a shorter bar makes the car react faster (or so I'm told) but would they help on my Smackdown?

My friend Adam has a '17 B/G and he has shortening brackets on his left upper...what's with that?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I've never seen one of the rf shut offs go bad so i wouldn't hesitate to use it. As far as the brackets at one point ticket had a long lower left option. Black front and early blue/gray stuff. The standard top bar used to be 18" with the shortener or was 16 3/4. All blue/grey cars had the short bracket in the left top until the very end as far as i know. The new stuff is around 17" i believe

one thing krooser , be sure that shut off is for circle track and not for drag car , the drag was considered a line lock and would only work one way , meaning if you turn it on , it will allow you to pump the brake up and lock the wheel , willwood made them both ways , i have seen this happen and yours is probably correct , just thought i would through that out there because they look very similar....

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    one thing krooser , be sure that shut off is for circle track and not for drag car , the drag was considered a line lock and would only work one way , meaning if you turn it on , it will allow you to pump the brake up and lock the wheel , willwood made them both ways , i have seen this happen and yours is probably correct , just thought i would through that out there because they look very similar....
    if it is a drag racing one just plumb it up in reverse
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Its off my old wide combo...always covered and stored inside so it should be ok. Ill check it to be sure.

Thanks guys.... you always pull thru.

BTW... my engine shop finally has got my race block sleeved and bored/decked and im ready to order pistons. Just need a cam/lifters and I will have most of my parts for the build.

This week I’m scrapping some junk to make room for the chassis to go on my frame table... moving an old super stock chassis outside and also putting the wide combo under a tarp to make room inside my shop for the smackdown.

Soon I will order a new flat x member from Tader along with the front mount that mounts the a arm. Then I will raise the rf rail for extra ground clearance and I will start putting the car together.

Film at 11....
    Class of 2019

As ford said some line locks (actual line lock for drag not a shut off) will bleed thru and some very slowly so when you check it, hold the brake with high pressure for an extended amount of time and makes sure the RF doesn't lock over time. If so reverse the lines like JustAddDirt said, in the OUT and out the IN.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-18-2019 at 01:55 PM.

guess i never thought about reversing the lines , but , i have never used a electric shut off , always used a manual one.........

just remember whatever shutoff you use, make sure it has a bypass line with a one way valve in it to let fluid return to master cylinder....if it doesn't when the fluid heats up from the slight pad drag it will expand and lock the brake on.

Curt Drake
    ex late model guy.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    guess i never thought about reversing the lines , but , i have never used a electric shut off , always used a manual one.........
    Me neither!
    Class of 2019

Krooser
    PM me. I have an electric one I'll give you.