Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default TST Ice Bowl ????

Hard to believe that the season has gotten so far.

What’s the weather usually like there in early January?

Are the classes they show on the website as weekly all they run?

If a guy was to go, are hotel rooms usually booked up? I can’t imagine they would be given that there’s a huge Superspeedway right there.

Do hotels charge higher prices for racing related people there?

How many Steel head late models usually show up?

What’s the actual size of the track? For gearing purposes..
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

I'll take a stab!! 30+ at night, to 80(2 years ago?) for a high!! And everywhere in between!! Maybe up to 10 classes. No to hotels. 30+ llm.

Can't help on gear!!

Thumbs up! I probably won't be going.At least not this time around. But maybe. We'll see how the car upgrade goes.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The Ice Bowl doesn't bother us as much as it does other folks!! It's early in the year after all!! Not a big football guy!! Would much rather see racing! I really think the racing is better in January!! We'll be at Dega in 3 weeks anyway!

I would love to. But there's a couple 800 lb gorrillas in the room with me and it has to work out juuuuust right. Things are different around here now. I used to get drunk and talk about doing stuff. Now I actually do stuff. Fingers crossed,
    Last edited by Rocky; 09-22-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

If you love qualifying, you'll love the Ice Bowl. One unhappy qualifier a couple years ago burned down the tower.

its 1/3 mile, big 1/4. 6.50ish gearing to turn around 8,000

The Ice Bowl is definitely an event everyone needs to get to once in their life, as stated I've been there in the 30s and there in the 80s, also been there in mud to my knees (this past year) and dry bones.

Classes: Supers, TST Sportsman / Limiteds, Supers, Durrence-Layne Street Stock, Durrence-Layne Crates (604), Kajun Mini Stocks, Durrence-Layne Sportsman (602), Durrence-Layne Modified Sportsman, Factory Stock/Pure Stock and Hot Shots (FWD)

I booked a room the week of and paid $80 this past year.

Believe there were 35 limiteds in 2019

Thanks guys.

I forget sometimes it’s 2019 and there’s videos of everything on YouTube. I watched the B main and the feature last night. Looks like a good time.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Rocky, I will answer your questions here and at any time. Hotels in the area are "off" season when the Ice Bowl comes around. Many options within minutes and under 10. 15, or 20 minutes.

The weather can be wet and gloomy, flippin cold, decent and gloomy, or real nice for January like we have had the last couple of years.

Last year we had 337 cars, actually more but the rundown after some wrecks and scratches was this
    Supers-42
    Limiteds-32
    DL(604) Late Models-48
    DL(602) LM Sportsman-42
    Modifieds-15
    Street Stocks-43
    Hot Shots-48
    Factory Stocks-18
    Kajun Mini Stocks-35

Last year weather bit us on practice day Thursday. Then it rained most of the morning further make the pits a mess but things got rolling under heavy, grey skies on Friday afternoon and then it was on.

Saturday starts at 10:00 with hot laps for all classes. Then time trials for all except the Modifieds and Hot Shots. That does take some time. After that all classes run "meaningfull" qualifying heat races, you have to race your way into the feature. The Hot Shots will run their main event on Saturday.

Sunday begins at 12:00 with B-mains to set the field then of course that main events.

Please remember with a event of this size, lots of folks that camp, it is a real good social gathering. You will make friends that you may see thru the year or once a year at the Ice Bowl. You get way more on track action and social interaction than the admission charge.

This is a gathering were a race breaks out. We are easy here at TST, no hassles, easy cooler policy, friendly staff, no curfews and plenty of parking and space.

While there is 1 who does not think so and came up with a motto that raised the ire of most of the South, the Ice Bowl is indeed a "race that matters." 337 cars matters baby. Hope ya make it, the festivities after the races is sumpthin to be a part of.

Late Model Mark
    2010 Talladega Short Track Ice Bowl Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    Rocky, I will answer your questions here and at any time. Hotels in the area are "off" season when the Ice Bowl comes around. Many options within minutes and under 10. 15, or 20 minutes.

The weather can be wet and gloomy, flippin cold, decent and gloomy, or real nice for January like we have had the last couple of years.

Last year we had 337 cars, actually more but the rundown after some wrecks and scratches was this
    Supers-42
    Limiteds-32
    DL(604) Late Models-48
    DL(602) LM Sportsman-42
    Modifieds-15
    Street Stocks-43
    Hot Shots-48
    Factory Stocks-18
    Kajun Mini Stocks-35

Last year weather bit us on practice day Thursday. Then it rained most of the morning further make the pits a mess but things got rolling under heavy, grey skies on Friday afternoon and then it was on.

Saturday starts at 10:00 with hot laps for all classes. Then time trials for all except the Modifieds and Hot Shots. That does take some time. After that all classes run "meaningfull" qualifying heat races, you have to race your way into the feature. The Hot Shots will run their main event on Saturday.

Sunday begins at 12:00 with B-mains to set the field then of course that main events.

Please remember with a event of this size, lots of folks that camp, it is a real good social gathering. You will make friends that you may see thru the year or once a year at the Ice Bowl. You get way more on track action and social interaction than the admission charge.

This is a gathering were a race breaks out. We are easy here at TST, no hassles, easy cooler policy, friendly staff, no curfews and plenty of parking and space.

While there is 1 who does not think so and came up with a motto that raised the ire of most of the South, the Ice Bowl is indeed a "race that matters." 337 cars matters baby. Hope ya make it, the festivities after the races is sumpthin to be a part of.

Late Model Mark
    2010 Talladega Short Track Ice Bowl Announcer
    I like the sound of all of that Mark. The one coming up is really iffy with my work schedule, but the one after that sounds like something that I will do for sure. It’s a long tow, but it’s closer than St. Louis. One of my all time favorite races was something just like that back home, called the Dealers Choice. Hundreds of cars, sketchy weather and lots of fun.

Hey, you’re the fella in the videos I watched!
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

It will be a fun time whenever you make it, door is wide open, maybe you can have some of the moonshine.......I mean some tasty clear stuff when you come, some Bamashine. LOL

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

Quote Originally Posted by Late_Model_Mark View Post
    It will be a fun time whenever you make it, door is wide open, maybe you can have some of the moonshine.......I mean some tasty clear stuff when you come, some Bamashine. LOL

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer
    Cool, but I think I shall spare y’all having to listen to me after drinking too much. I’ll have some clear Bama water.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Id call it a larger 1/4 mile. I won the street stock race in 2010 or 2011. The boy I gave that huge trophy to should be racing there by now!

The track has been measured at .333 of a mile. The banking is about 17 degrees.

Track record is a 12.42 set by Jason Hiett in March of 2018. Two of the sickest laps I have ever witnessed at TST as Jason broke Brett Holmes 5-year old mark of 12.93.

In hot laps of that opening night show Hiett truly blistered the place with 3 unofficial laps of 12.22,12.23 and the third another 12.22. He slightly and I mean slightly burped the gas in 3, other than that it was matted, awesome.

Here before you know it, the 2010 Ice Bowl, a race that truly matters in the South.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer

Isn’t it the 2020 Ice Bowl?

.333, 17 degrees of banking. That sounds awesome to me!
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

If you look at my signature, every one of those races matter. Even the one I went to at Rattlesnake Raceway in Fallon, Nevada where the track announcer didn’t show up and they had about 25 cars total. The Ice Bowl certainly matters. Heck, I am asking about it months in advance. Seems like a big deal to me.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Long post. And I hate long post, typing em, hardly ever read em, but here I go....

Rocky. Gonna clear the air here. The endless race that matters line is directed at me. Little background. TST is my local track. I’m 46 years old. Been going to dirt races since middle school. I have both raced and spectated. But I’m strictly a fan now. Have been for years. I hardly go to TST anymore because they rarely offer what I like in my racing. Years ago I’d sit through 5, 6, 7 support classes but I don’t anymore. It bores me. I’m a special event super late model guy. I feel like the majority of super late model fans, 2 support classes are enough.

Now speaking on the Ice Bowl. Back in January Ice Bowl weekend, on a 4m Ice Bowl thread, I made the following comment. This is not verbatim but close. I was ask by someone if I was coming or why I’m not coming, in my answer I said something to the effect I’m saving my money or waiting for a race that matters, meaning I’ll go to a event that matters to me that I wanna see. Well L L Mark and a few others got their panties all up their tw@ts by that, Mark being the worse. He has went on and on about it and still is. So After a week or so of off and on crying I thought I’ll proclaim all the races I go to this year the “Races that Matters” Tour. A joke of course with a touch of as$hole coming outta me. A couple months after the Ice Bowl on another thread all this started up again. I explained myself again what Races that Matters means. Ice Bowl doesn’t matter to me (I’ll explain why shortly), Ice Bowl matters to others, and so on and so forth. Everybody knows what they like. And when you know that, go for it. As Mark has put, and truly beat to death, 300 plus cars comes. That’s great! Go race and enjoy. Spectators too. So moving on....

The reasons I don’t go anymore... It’s a 4 day event. By Sunday most, and let me be clear for all the saps out there, MOST of the time the track is one groove by Sunday, hardly any passing, train race around the bottom. There have been times when the rains have helped the racing and Stokes is on staff. But the majority of Ice Bowl history, speaking of the supers, hardly a competitive pass or lead change on Sunday. That’s A Fact!! TST on a one night show provides pretty good racing. 4 days, no. But that’s true for pretty much anywhere unless serious farming goes on. ...Another reason, the Ice Bowl only draws a handful of big names. Fact! The kind of fan I am prefers the biggest names. A full field of em. See my signature below. That’s what I like. That’s what I’m gonna pay for the majority of the time. ...Another reason, speaking just for me, I hate going to races where 4 classes look exactly the same. If I’m not mistaken the Ice Bowl features Supers, crates, 602’s, 604’s, something like that. That ain’t my thing. ...Another reason, weather. That’s kinda picky of me I know, but still. Lol

Now little bit on Mark. He’s now white collar. Once blue collar and seen things just like I do. Maybe not as vocal as me publicly, but privately, yes. That’s the Mark I miss. The Mark I went to races with before he began announcing. The Mark that went to Eldora with me and my crew the year Hartman won, sat with us, had a blast. The Mark that has spoken to me and been critical of traveling series and how they do stuff. The Mark that knows, he knows TST runs way too many d@mn hot laps. Well, to be fair on that one, maybe he’s told the powers to be at TST there’s no since in 6 plus hot laps each session. Who knows. Hopefully he has. I could go on but that’s enough. But I really hope he gives the race that matters, truly matters in the south sh!t a rest. Gees. Where’s the rolled eyes option.

So it’s coming up Rocky. I don’t know what you like in racing but if you like several classes and tons of cars the Ice Bowl is definitely for you. As is several other events in the south. And your from Missouri? I55 Speedway and West Plains. Been there. Awesome tracks. I’m jealous.

....in closing let me take the time to invite my fan club to now comment below. You know who you are! Don’t let me down! Lol!!!! (Not referring to you here Mark. Those 3 other sad cases, and perhaps more)
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Can’t edit. I meant 6 plus laps hot lap sessions.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST