Default Keyser Data Logger

Part number 100-7434.
    Anybody used this? I know its a string type so might be some issues using it on a dirt late model. Tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by SLM98 View Post
    Part number 100-7434.
    Anybody used this? I know its a string type so might be some issues using it on a dirt late model. Tell me what you think.
    I'd expect some hysteresis issues with the string rewind. So, if you are just looking for travel at certain points on the track, it can be useful. But, you are not going to dial in shocks with it, IMO.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I haven't used that particular one so this is opinion and guess's from using other brand full systems.

1. Its better then nothing but going to be a fair ways away from using a full system with other sensors at the same time to better evaluate what is happening. I don't see that it has GPS tracking so all you have is the entire session recorded and no way to really say where on the track that something happened besides a rough guess. Then you have no other data to compare or see why it traveled like it did.

2. As far as being a string pot type sensor: it can/will be just as accurate as a normal shock senor in terms off speed and travel readings, however dirt or anything hitting the string will/can induce travel/speeds it didn't actually do. This can be an issue especially the RR as my RR shock senors have taken a beating at times enough to bow the shaft. I've used string pots on other places on the car and had no issues but I never actually used it for a shock, but besides the dirt/debre issue I see no real problems.

3. The blue tooth part will make installing a ton quicker then an non wireless system but also way more expensive. If you wanted all 4 corners you could about by a complete system with multiple extra sensors and data collection. The only way I'd probably go that route is if I only wanted one sensor and move it around on the car, otherwise I use a full system

Good luck

I agree with MBR. They are pretty pricey for not all that much useful data. For not much more (+$500), you can buy an AIM EVO4S or DataMite 4 data logger and a linear potentiometer from TheSensorConnection or Curtis-Wright and not only get shock position data, but also shock velocity with a math channel. Plus you can add more sensors down the line and have a full blown data acquisition system then.

Is this a spy software? The only spy software I know is spywhizz, but according to these spywhizz reviews its store had been already closed. Anyways, thanks a lot for the topic, I think I need to use google search now
    Last edited by samgood; 11-13-2021 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I haven't used that particular one so this is opinion and guess's from using other brand full systems.1. Its better then nothing but going to be a fair ways away from using a full system with other sensors at the same time to better evaluate what is happening. I don't see that it has GPS tracking so all you have is the entire session recorded and no way to really say where on the track that something happened besides a rough guess. Then you have no other data to compare or see why it traveled like it did.2. As far as being a string pot type sensor: it can/will be just as accurate as a normal shock senor in terms off speed and travel readings, however dirt or anything hitting the string will/can induce travel/speeds it didn't actually do. This can be an issue especially the RR as my RR shock senors have taken a beating at times enough to bow the shaft. I've used string pots on other places on the car and had no issues but I never actually used it for a shock, but besides the dirt/debre issue I see no real problems.3. The blue tooth part will make installing a ton quicker then an non wireless system but also way more expensive. If you wanted all 4 corners you could about by a complete system with multiple extra sensors and data collection. The only way I'd probably go that route is if I only wanted one sensor and move it around on the car, otherwise I use a full systemGood luck
    Great points billet. If the original topic is their a particular system that you think is the best bang for your buck for the average guy. I would think the average guy would benefit mostly from general travel data. Knowing where and when on the track his travel windows are at each corner.

Probably the cheapest bang for your buck is the one Keith Berner has for sale. Strain gauge is in the bolt, and if I remember right, it is html based so it can be accessed on any platform with any devise.
    I thought price point was a bit better than $1000.
    Last I talked to them at PRI a bunch of years ago, they had some done, but it was still in development.
    If anyone finds anything more about it, post back. I’m still very curious.
    Last edited by Ltemodel; 01-01-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Kevin, like you said that is a strain gauge to measure load not travels or speeds, don't know about the one your talking about but 2 or 3 years ago WoO and lucas where all checking for those and someone was selling wireless ones but just can't remember who was making them or price at that time.

Race day engineer had wireless Bluetooth linear potentiometers.

Kevin, like you said that is a strain gauge to measure load not travels or speeds, don't know about the one your talking about but 2 or 3 years ago WoO and lucas where all checking for those and someone was selling wireless ones but just can't remember who was making them or price at that time.
    There is also a linear pot that bolts next to the spring. The strain gauge is in the bolt. It wouldn’t be something you race with, but it would be good to get some numbers in practice. Keith at Accuforce is developing it.

I guess I never really understood the need to have a load cell on the coilover besides easy of having the number without having to look it up. Since you have travel, you essentially have the load from your spring smashing numbers. Load cells are by far the most expensive sensor you would use on a car, so If I can get that info cheaper but have to do a little work or look something up I'm gonna go that route. I looked at bar load sensors and they where like 1800.00 per bar, lol.

I guess I never really understood the need to have a load cell on the coilover besides easy of having the number without having to look it up. Since you have travel, you essentially have the load from your spring smashing numbers. Load cells are by far the most expensive sensor you would use on a car, so If I can get that info cheaper but have to do a little work or look something up I'm gonna go that route. I looked at bar load sensors and they where like 1800.00 per bar, lol.
    Load cells are to include damper and part inertia loads in the data logging unless some of you have torsion bars. Just another way to gain insight into what is the most sensitive tuning knobs in the car and why. Also nice for model correlation.