Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Methanol

Just checked....Adam uses 12-15 gallons of fuel per night.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

J king, I was guessing on gas but we do run rich that's true. Our biggest reason for fuel useage is caution laps. We took 620hp late model to hilltop last week and made feature so hp isn't everything. We burned about half tank in feature on methanol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    J king, I was guessing on gas but we do run rich that's true. Our biggest reason for fuel useage is caution laps. We took 620hp late model to hilltop last week and made feature so hp isn't everything. We burned about half tank in feature on methanol
    I'd be shocked if T Carp couldn't take the win at Hilltop with 620 ponies.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

My challenge is that while I agree a lower hp car can work under a certain set of conditions, I am still green as heck as a driver, and make lots of mistakes, and this is an old car (02 wide/combo with RR rail moved in) with a vanilla setup that I finally have working somewhat well, but it certainly isn't going to be capable of carrying the momentum and generating the traction the newer cars can..hence the desire for some "lightning in a bottle" to try to bump me up a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    My challenge is that while I agree a lower hp car can work under a certain set of conditions, I am still green as heck as a driver, and make lots of mistakes, and this is an old car (02 wide/combo with RR rail moved in) with a vanilla setup that I finally have working somewhat well, but it certainly isn't going to be capable of carrying the momentum and generating the traction the newer cars can..hence the desire for some "lightning in a bottle" to try to bump me up a bit...
    You'd be surprised what an underpowered car can do when you use all of it. That chassis needs a front clip in a bad way. I get your struggles.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Krooser, carburetor technology peaked decades ago. I don't care how super their bowls are, the new stuff isn't gonna make a difference. Use what you have.
    With all due respect, this is completely wrong. The older carbs would corrode, the throttle shafts stick and rust, they are usually excessively rich at idle and part throttle. GOOD modern methanol carburetors don't have these faults. Cheap ones still do.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    With all due respect, this is completely wrong. The older carbs would corrode, the throttle shafts stick and rust, they are usually excessively rich at idle and part throttle. GOOD modern methanol carburetors don't have these faults. Cheap ones still do.
    If that is true (I've not had much issue with my old junk) how much is it going to mean on the stopwatch to his car? He's on a budget, I'm trying to help him get on the track.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Something that's dangerous or that shortens engine life is neither really cheap or likely to help lap times. It's your car and your budget though so you have to make that decision. I understand where you're at.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    Something that's dangerous or that shortens engine life is neither really cheap or likely to help lap times. It's your car and your budget though so you have to make that decision. I understand where you're at.
    I guess I was just lucky running 20 year old Holleys in the 90s. Never have I had a carb stick. Krooser also never really said how old his carb is. There is the best available and satisfactory, I get that too.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

My experience with those back then was that they have cast base plates that corrode, warp, crack and pit. The butterflies and shafts rust. Most of them had 2 or 3 turns on the return spring to try to get the throttle NOT to stick. They had brass floats that would collapse or epoxied floats that would lose epoxy and clog jets. The zinc bowls and metering blocks would corrode and pit if not carefully taken care of. They would use more fuel than needed down low. Good new ones have those problems addressed. Bad new ones do not. My opinion is that if you drive a truck, haul a couple of loads, buy a good modern carb and have money left over in the same amount of time you spend agonizing over trying to rebuild worn out lesser parts. We all have a certain number of hours in a day to use. How do you get your best return for your time spent? Opportunity cost. Best of luck, and I do sincerely hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I guess I was just lucky running 20 year old Holleys in the 90s. Never have I had a carb stick. Krooser also never really said how old his carb is. There is the best available and satisfactory, I get that too.
    My 750 is ancient... 1993. But only ran about 18 nights over two years then sat under a bench. Nice and clean... good shafts, no corrosion, all the dichromate plating still in great shape.

The new one looks about the same in pix...I'll let you guys know how the innards look when I get it this week.

BTW look at my latest post about the new, updated parts for my '03 Smackdown. A really nice pile of parts.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

E85 with a 363 steel block and heads, 3/8 mile 30lap feature with 8 laps practice and 6 qualifying old school no transponders.....7 gallons is all we burn with the 2 barrel, and with the 4 barrel its about a gallon more.
    Last edited by drgracer392; 12-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.

sounds about right , thats about 15 bucks a night , hard to beat........