Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default low car and fan counts,,why?

I have attended many tracks this season and amazed how low fan counts have been, same with cars at some locations. What are your thoughts on this? Economy? Newer generation? I am tired of paying $12 to $15 to see 10 cars total in one class..I feel the show is not worth the price,,,maybe this is the issue? One thing I do know is the prices keep creeping up but the drivers pay sucks on a regular night event. I know racers are not in it for big money but some tracks only pay $50 to start feature,,back runners have fallen off here probably because $50 doesn't even pay for fuel for tow rig and car. I think the racing world is in trouble.....thoughts?
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

People don't have the extra money to spend for entertainment. Despite the economy I know I don't.When 2 Big Mac value meals cost 16$ something's wrong.Due to health issues I haven't raced this year.It cost me 150$ + to go race a hobby car. Tow money is 35 to 50$ depending on track. Keep in mind that cost is not buying tires or anything for car. If I win I get 350 $ if I buy 2 tires that's 320+ tax.So to sum it admission is now 12 to 15$ pits 35$ it's a losing proposition for every one. I really don't know if it can be saved.

I agree... unless going to a sprint car race. Even the regional 410's and 360's bring in a pretty full house and pull enough cars to run 1 or even 2 B-mains. I paid $25 to watch the IRA 410 finale with MSA 360's and wingless crates and the stands were packed in 50 degree weather, and 110 cars in the pits. Seems like any track I visit with sprints, crowds are much better.

Car costs... No advertising or promotions... No fun things to do at the track for kids and teens... Take a look at the kind of promos semi pro baseball does to get fans... Autograph nights/guest ball boy promos/ tons of giveaways/ admission specials/ group ticket sales/ all inclusive pricing (ticket with food and drinks for $2 more than a reg. ticket). All sorts of new and innovative schemes to get people into the stands.

What does the average dirt track do to match those ideas?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

It takes a lot of time to run a car. A lot of weekly guys don't have help during the week so all of the repairs and maintenance falls on one person, which takes a lot of time. When I was racing every weekend, all of my free time went into working on my car. I am interested in more than one hobby, so I cut way back on the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by heinen81 View Post
    I agree... unless going to a sprint car race. Even the regional 410's and 360's bring in a pretty full house and pull enough cars to run 1 or even 2 B-mains. I paid $25 to watch the IRA 410 finale with MSA 360's and wingless crates and the stands were packed in 50 degree weather, and 110 cars in the pits. Seems like any track I visit with sprints, crowds are much better.
    Why is that, I've noticed on TV are reading about results from Sprint car races that they always have more than a full field of cars and packed stands.lve never been to a Sprint race but I know they can't be cheaper to build are run then a late model so is the pay back are what.

I have pretty much lost interest plus being in a wheelchair there is no place to watch from at most tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty bert View Post
    Why is that, I've noticed on TV are reading about results from Sprint car races that they always have more than a full field of cars and packed stands.lve never been to a Sprint race but I know they can't be cheaper to build are run then a late model so is the pay back are what.
    Although I am more a late model fan at heart, I was on a travelling 410 crew for a few years and definitely notice better crowds, at least in the Midwest. May be completely different down south. As far as cost... Motors are a tick higher than a new wide bore given the injection cost. Rollers are probably around 10k cheaper for the sprint. Shocks are also much cheaper on a sprint, as there are less of them and some guys don't even mess with double adjustable on every corner. All in all, there isn't a whole lot to be done to adjust a sprint car other than shocks, taking out/putting in bar turns or maybe a bar switch itself. Changing pills and adjusting the bypass. Gears. Maybe move the radius rods up or down a hole, but those are usually left alone. Rear tires def get chewed up per night, but fronts very seldom. I would love to see the overall cost comparison, but I feel given all the adjustability and shock technology on the late models, especially with all the aero advantages now, that the sprints cost less to run on average.

311 had Carolina Sprint tour saturday night, paying $1000 to win and drew 25 cars. No local sprint racers in this area. Cars run Racesaver engines to save money, so pretty low buck cars. Cars don't have to cost a fortune to be fun and put on good racing. Videos from 311 posted here:
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaSprintTour/

Since I stopped racing 5 years ago my attendance as a fan has also heavily declined. I used to hit 30+ races a year in Florida and Georgia. Then maybe 20 races in Florida. Then 10-15 at East Bay, since its 20 minutes from home. This year I did 2 winternationals races at East Bay and haven't seen another race all year anywhere except one pavement sprint race at Showtime, which is literally 2 minutes from my shop. Why? All too often it's just not that entertaining anymore and doesn't have any value. 50 cars in the pits across 7 or 8 classes. The disparity in the classes is boring. Half of the late model races I've seen down here have been won by 3 or 4 guys. Half of the late model field would get lapped by a fast street stock. And speaking of East Bay specifically, the track is usually totally rubbered down by the end of the heats and they never do a thing to it. And somehow they drag it out for 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    People don't have the extra money to spend for entertainment. Despite the economy I know I don't.When 2 Big Mac value meals cost 16$ something's wrong.Due to health issues I haven't raced this year.It cost me 150$ + to go race a hobby car. Tow money is 35 to 50$ depending on track. Keep in mind that cost is not buying tires or anything for car. If I win I get 350 $ if I buy 2 tires that's 320+ tax.So to sum it admission is now 12 to 15$ pits 35$ it's a losing proposition for every one. I really don't know if it can be saved.
    The economy actually is fine. The reason why your Mickey D's order is so much is because fast food employees want a $15/hour minimum wage. Ok, jack up the prices a bit and no one takes your order anymore it's now been replaced by a kiosk.

The one thing that will NEVER change, as a business owner, no matter what the economy is doing you need to get people in to produce, everyone say it with me now... revenue. Just like the earlier post says, giveaways, autographs, something for kids to do while they're there like a sandbox or mini playground. It may sound stupid but that's how you get people to come. When the kids are there playing around they get used to being there and eventually notice that the racing is great and want to come back as they get older.

Racing is a business. If you don't think it is then you won't be in business for very long. You have to basically run it just like any other business to succeed. A lot of tracks that close down do not realize this. The tracks that are doing well, do.

Thanks heinen81, I'd like to see the cost comparison to, you know after thinking about it there's not much to a Sprint chassis compared to a late model just looking like I said I've never saw them run an I don't think I've ever seen one in person there's not many down n.ga,e tn.

I think it's all $$$ related. People are believing the economy is good when it really isn't as good as they think. Acquiring debt and getting their butts in a sling to where they can't entertain themselves with racing. Racing has changed enormously in the last 5 years. People buying speed and knocking out the less fortunate. The 25 car fields that had 5 contenders and 21 field fillers are getting whittled down to the contenders. The field fillers are leaving in droves as soon as their used up stuff cost too much to fix.

The touring series seem to be the waive of the future for late models. Taking hold somewhat with fastrack in crates and dirtcar with modifieds. Local racing is struggling somewhat from what I'm witnessing.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by dirty bert View Post
    Thanks heinen81, I'd like to see the cost comparison to, you know after thinking about it there's not much to a Sprint chassis compared to a late model just looking like I said I've never saw them run an I don't think I've ever seen one in person there's not many down n.ga,e tn.
    No problem! As of 2 years ago you could buy a new Maxim B-Max for around 3k frame only. I believe with a front axle, panels, floor, bumpers and radius rods it was around $5000-5,500. Where they get expensive is adding the Ti lower shaft in the rear, driveshaft and other bolt-ons. Still significantly cheaper than a late model. Birdcages are 1/3 of the cost, inboard break setup while Ti… also cheaper than 4 brakes all the way around a late model. I believe our XR-1 rear ends were about 4k, not sure where that stacks up against a late now. Slade shocks made a great shock, and the new twin tubes are $300 per shock, although you will want a dbl for the LR especially. Not much on those things, I guess that's why you can basically rebuild one in the pits or swap a motor in 15 minutes lol.

Other forms of entertainment competing for the same $$ is a lot more of the reason than people think. Netflix is emptying sports stadiums and race tracks across the US. We are no longer just competing with other area tracks for $$. Cheap cheap cheap is what the next generation is dealing with. No good paying jobs leaves little top no extra cash and what they do have they are getting the most out of. $15 per person per week...same cars racing every week...little to no creature comforts at these tracks, OR, $15 per month of unlimited entertainment for the most part. I'm talking weekly programs here. Big races seem to be oversold for the most part this year.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember

I've watched the decline for years and find that the young people nowadays are not the car nuts growing up like we (the older crowd) were and have entirely different interests. I watched hundreds of younger people show up at a local track on Saturdays and never watch the first race or be able to tell you who won a race. They're at that track to socialize. Racing is a minor inconvenience to them because of the difficulty in hearing. As for the car counts, most of the people I see racing must have money trees in their backyards because I'm surprised they can afford to put something on the track.
    One driver I know who won many championships in SLMs had to move all the way down to crates to keep racing when a dependable sponsor died. It's all money-driven, you know. Seldom can the little guy even compete.

Midwest promoters are more in tune to the fans always offering something extra it don't happen in GA at all or at least where I race.411 speedway in tenn offered everything free a little while back for racers and fans.I read the place was packed .I sure there were people who had never been and will never go back but if you picked up 50 new fans that tell 50 friends what a blast it was and on and on. Sure the track took a bath that nite but look at big picture. Too many promoters are greedy and lazy they want to rely on here's my product it's great but don't try to entice any body to come. Too much competition for the entertainment dollars.Its hot and dirty you don't start on time bad concessions on and on people would rather go to a nice clean cool movie theater etc it's tough out there.

Quote Originally Posted by waaac77 View Post
    The economy actually is fine. The reason why your Mickey D's order is so much is because fast food employees want a $15/hour minimum wage. Ok, jack up the prices a bit and no one takes your order anymore it's now been replaced by a kiosk.

The one thing that will NEVER change, as a business owner, no matter what the economy is doing you need to get people in to produce, everyone say it with me now... revenue. Just like the earlier post says, giveaways, autographs, something for kids to do while they're there like a sandbox or mini playground. It may sound stupid but that's how you get people to come. When the kids are there playing around they get used to being there and eventually notice that the racing is great and want to come back as they get older.

Racing is a business. If you don't think it is then you won't be in business for very long. You have to basically run it just like any other business to succeed. A lot of tracks that close down do not realize this. The tracks that are doing well, do.
    Lol, that $15 deal, if it happened, was only in Cali I believe. Where the cost of living is crazy. Not in Ohio or any other Midwestern state. That’s more than most of these sh!tty warehouses pay in Columbus. And I say good for them.

$15 across the board, yeah right.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Personally, it’s the time involved. I enjoyed Sharon this year and Eldora, but a whole afternoon and evening is shot with the races. With two kids, sports, wife, house to maintain, work, etc, just don’t have the time nor do I wanna set aside the time to go.

I do, but there’s nothing worse than going and it being locked down after qualifying.

I like to relax at home. Have a few Jack n Pepsi’s, Netflix n chill.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I dont go anymore because my work schedule, I barely see my family and taking them to a track that i live 15 minutes from to see 7 classes with hardly any passing for 6+ hrs isn't gonna happen. I'd rather spend time with my kids at the lake or doing something else.