Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter815 View Post
    The specials only model has worked for some tracks here in Iowa. Tipton couldn't get enough cars to maintain a weekly program but now that they are running a few specials a year they pack them in. The same is true for West Liberty. You always want a few weekly tracks in any area, but too many weekly tracks reduce the car counts. A few weekly tracks with the rest being specials only is the ideal situation in today's world.
    Yeah. If you can be a big track and only run high profit specials while the little tracks scrape by and keep the sport alive, it's a big win for you.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Knoxville does it and Eldora could too. The main reason for Roger and Tony cutting the schedule way back and slowly becoming special events only is money. The place has become very very expensive to operate. Its a loss on any race besides the big 4 and possibly the 4 crown also. Roger is there to make Tony money. That being said they make enough money from the Kings Royal and World 100 to cover the losses of the smaller races. I know quite a few of the Eldora regulars and have friends that race there and I do feel for them. Its funny how the people who don't go there or go once or twice a season to the major events have so much to say though.

Snowman that is the smartest post I have rad on this forum!

You are asking them to take their FOR PROFIT business with my guess 10-15mil of assets and make it a non profit to suit a couple people on 4m ???? Your telling a steak house to give away free regular filets because they make enough off selling Kobe ... It’s pure nonsense that’s not how America works and god help us if that’s ever how America works. Make Tony an offer he can’t refuse and run a weekly cadet show if you think that’s the way to go ...

What a stupid thread. And of course the biggest Eldora hater on this site was the first to agree with the OP lol. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Snowman that is the smartest post I have rad on this forum!
    So they should just be ok with loosing money on events?

This is like saying Diane Lane’s elbows are too pointy.

That's crazy talk Eldora does not lose money when it opens for normal events. For the Baltes classic There was easily 4500 people there at 20 bucks a head that's 90 grand collected. The purse at the most was $30000. Are you telling me Eldora costs $60000 to open up for a show if it does it's time to close the doors

Is the Baltes Classic a normal weekly show?

Are you the accountant for Eldora ??? There’s no way they make any money off that event

Eldora doesn't really have what you would call a weekly schedule, never have had one. They have always raced about 2-3 weeks out of the month, with the classes varying. There are more late model shows there now than what there was when Earl was in control, if you count the prelim nights. Which are point paying events for the speedway. You can listen to or read some older interviews and you hear or see the drivers talking about never getting any track time there.

I think the guy that writes these things is just wanting to make his page noticed. Well it's working.

Keep telling yourself that, especially when the place closes down or your getting 25 cars for the world 100. That day is closer than u think!

Zyoung you are totally wrong about them never running weekly. As a matter of fact there was a summer in the late 80's they ran both on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons in the same week. Now for the post at hand. Eldora is a specials only track but they also have loyal racers and fans that go every time they open the gate.

I believe car counts and fan counts dropped before the dates on the schedule were dropped. Let's not pretend 30-50 Late Models, Modifieds and Stocks were showing up every time the gates were open and if they only added back a more consistent weekly program they would all come back.

2ndly reaction to the proposed schedule.
    Adding the Stocks & Mods to the Let's Race Two is a bad idea for the attending fan because the event already lasts long enough with around 50 wing cars and 30 non wing all qualifying, heat racing, racing, C, B Mains, Semi feature and Features.

I like adding the Sprint Invaders to Ohio Speedweek only if they agree to a pill draw format.

Dirt Derby Night One is basically 2017. Winners payout is optimistic. Could they do it, yes; would they lose money on that night, yes. I'd like to see them add Late Models back both nights to show case them to the NASCAR crowd as advertisement for the World 100 again. If we are going to make converts of the NASCAR crowd it'll be with the Late Models.

Night Befour the Crowns; with Silver Crown Qualifying and large WoO car counts one other support class max. Pick Stocks or NRA; {I prefer NRA, but I don't overly care.}

Ole Fashion 4-Crown... old fashioned 4 crown is with USAC stocks, so run the NASCAR Xfinity Series on 4 Crown Night if you want the classic. I'd maybe compromise and say a $6,000 to win late model race as that is what replaced the USAC Stocks. BUT my real vote is leave the 4 Crown night alone. Local wing drivers get there 2nd chance to run Eldora with the All*Stars without a guaranteed 5th degree butt kicking.

I'm for the UMP Nationals coming back but I think they have to revert back to the 2 Day format if they do it. They tried to make a big event for the modified guys and they didn't show up. Plan and simple they added races and money and car/driver counts went down. Then a 2 or 3 string of bad luck with weather doomed the event into extinction.
    If I could rewrite the event Friday UMP Pro Late Models, UMP Stock Cars UMP Something else. Saturday Mods and Late Models full program. Qualifying early in the day; take a 2ish hour break to rework the track. Maybe run Eldora Stocks Saturday as an special invite event, hot lap on the rework track to clean it off. Run feature only between heats and B Mains of LM and Mods..
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Keep telling yourself that, especially when the place closes down or your getting 25 cars for the world 100. That day is closer than u think!
    Running a weekly program isn't going to effect the World 100 car count but very little or even none. Look when Lucas Oil or WoO comes to a track with weekly Late Model events; a large number of the local racers stay home.
    "The Wise One"

Red face

[QUOTE=HoosierDirtFan;2289012]Like the ideas but not sure if Tony, Roger, or Eldora could give a rats blank about either fans or drivers. JMO Link to article - below. https://www.dirtunlimited.com/post/a...l-drivers-fans[/QUOTE Agree 100%. Look at the once famous Lernerville Speedway. When Don Martin was running the joint it was a World Class joint and now it is lucky this season to get 16 late model per race and only about 7 of them actually finish the race because the track is so sh1thole rough during the regular Friday night races. The only redeeming factor is their popular fish sandwiches.

The funny thing is, All the experts about Eldora visit the track 1 or 2 weekends a year. Some of us have been going there, racing there, or working on cars that race there for over 30 years.
    Eldora is a top notch facility and Earl and now Tony get favor from the local community, the further the track gets from the locals, the less favor will be given. Just a little something to remember, I feel totally comfortable leaving there after a few, the local law enforcement turns a blind eye to it. for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Yeah. If you can be a big track and only run high profit specials while the little tracks scrape by and keep the sport alive, it's a big win for you.
    It makes a lot of sense. Definitely the smartest way to do it.