Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: let's chat

Default let's chat

really lacking conversation here lately---probably facebook taking over

for some of us NON facebookers ---how about we discuss something
    debate something

now I miss dyno man 14---at least we had conversation --LOL

somebody throw something out there and I promise to give my 2 cents--LOL
    doesn't have to be engines---it could be shocks--fuel--football--even our wives--LOL
    but lets talk about something

Brad
    www.race-1.com

OK Brad,,,,,,

Why SO many ground cables all over the motors you sell ?

Thanks,,,,,,

Perfect---I love telling the story

a few years back I was walking the streets of Indianapolis in December pushing a 604 display engine down the sidewalk

let me explain just a bit---we had spent 4 days in the convention center at PRI on display and I was ready to get in my own bed---so I had the bright idea to beat the teardown crowd and push my display unit out the front door and down the sidewalk----it would have been a great plan IF I hadn't become disoriented when I walked outside and turned the wrong way.

I ended up literally miles from my vehicle and miles from the convention center with a engine on wheels
    I was very appreciative of those scooter ramps cut into the curbs at intersections--LOL

As you can imagine I was not in the best of moods---when
    Along comes this older fella (older than me) who strikes up a conversation about aluminum heads
    ----at first I am only thinking --how I can get away from this guy and find my van----but then he mentions a couple of things that makes me realize I need to at least listen to what he has to say

----I will skip through the bulk of this as we ended up talking for over an hour but he shared with me some testing that had been done WAY back "in the day" when aluminum heads first started being used---and it was found that the aluminum headed engines made more power when grounds were added
    and even more noticeable was that they started much easier

I really didn't do anything with the information for awhile but--I was taught to always listen to older people with grey hair --so I do

a year or so later I had a circumstance where our water riser block that we build was losing ground for the low water pressure switch and the light was not working correctly because of the lack of grounding.
    at that time I realized that we just might have a conduction issue with some aluminum parts
    we then began grounding the top of the engine to the block

since we have started doing this we have had several super engine builders contact us claiming to see RPM increases with extra grounds

We do our best to find all we can in the crate world and adding grounds may not do anything in some or even most cases but one thing is for sure ---It does not hurt!!!

Thanks for asking
    Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 10-03-2019 at 06:25 PM.

In the IMCA modified world. You see some 604 crate failures from what I think is broken rods. What is the issue causing this? Bouncing off the limiter, running methanol?

In the IMCA modified world. You see some 604 crate failures from what I think is broken rods. What is the issue causing this? Bouncing off the limiter, running methanol?

GROUNDS!
    Grounds are so important in the automotive world, and even more important in the performance/racing world. The simple reason is voltage drop due to poor connections. just think about this... if you ground your battery with a short cable from the battery to the chassis think about the path it has to take to get back to the engine and ignition system.
    Lets HOPE that the chassis itself has perfect welds and perfectly notched tubes and you dont have any voltage drop through the chassis itslef. Now think about each connection from the engine mounts and brackets, to the block, cylinder heads, intake, distributor, starter. Your ignition system loves voltage and that includes spark plug that are properly grounded in the cylinder heads. The starter also works so much better when its properly grounded.

I run a 602 crate in a street stock and my engine has a braided ground strap from the frame to each cyl head, frame to distributor hold down bolt, frame to starter mounting bolt and I also run a mini alternator and have a ground from the frame to alternator housing. Voltage regulators in these mini alternators last MUCH longer with a direct ground.

sportmod21b
    best we can do here is speculate----
    when you say "some"---is that 2 or 20?
    you think the failure is " broken rods"----

If the failure you are witnessing is a rod failure---my guess is the piston failed first and that is why the rod is hanging out of the oil pan

the rods in these engines are pretty tough ---unlike the pistons that go off like a bomb when they fail
    when there is no piston to keep the rod aligned it also will fail but it's not the fault of the rod.

you mentioned running up against the rev limiter as a possible cause---
    although it would sure seam like damage is happening when against the chip--
    -we have seen engines that run every lap on the chip for years without incident----
    I feel the same as you when I hear it but truthfully we don't find any unusual wear or damage from customers that are constantly on the chip

you also mentioned the methanol fuel as a possible cause----
    you might have something there---not directly because of the fuel but indirectly due to possible excessive timing ---bad fuel curves or sloppy maintenance procedures.

we do run a bit more timing on alky but not crazy more like some people do
    fuel curves can be more sensitive with methanol (especially if not experienced with the fuel)
    methanol requires more maintenance ---it's not a big deal but you have to realize it and DO IT!!!

again just speculation

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 10-05-2019 at 10:37 AM.

there has been over 200 views of this thread and 2 topics and 1 added comment
    I really like conversation with people but have this fear/hate for facebook
    200 views has got to be 150 different people----please log in and lets chat it up without facebook
    we can easily make this the biggest comment on 4m ---or as the face book nation says "viral"
    everyone ask and anyone comment---don't get your feelings hurt if your comment gets "trumped"---hope that was politically correct--LOL

Brad
    www.race-1.com

since what I call the "XR1 era" (when almost unlimited traction came to dirt latemodels)

what is the most common way to cover the air filter ---deflecting dirt and hot air ----with the aerodynamics of these cars are we seeing air cleaner wash from fuel coming out of the carb like we did prior????
    just a question and spark for conversation...

Brad
    www.race-1.com

I'm curious, what is air cleaner wash?

Could be fuel being sucked out of carb vents or Venturi, and washing down air cleaner media. Could be a big problem with a K&N, which could open up
    Filter and allow dirt in carb and motor.
    Late models bodies are like giant vacuum cleaners with the way they seal off to track.

Just my thought. I can be wrong, but I would never admit it. 😂
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

exactly correct dirt----
    I will expand with our experiences tonight when Monday calms down

have a great day!
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

"air filter wash"---just so everyone knows----that is not an industry standard phrase---it's just how it works in my brain and the way that I describe the condition

Justaddirt was dead on with what the result is when air passes through the filter (both in and out)
    the carburetor is only going to use a certain amount of air and when the air filter element is exposed to the open air it can be flooded with air-----this air will then pass through the air filter on the opposite side
    nothing terrible or even noticeable happens until the air speed is high enough to create a vacuum effect on the vent tube and even venturi
    this does not typically happen when the car is at WOT (wide open throttle) because the engine is using a good portion of the air that is entering the air cleaner
    BUT when you shut the throttle down at the end of the straightaway---there is still substantial air speed going into the air cleaner which is no longer being consumed by the engine---this air will then pass through the air cleaner and virtually suck the fuel right out of the carburetor

years ago when the the second design of MD3 noses came out ---it was a common complaint for the drivers to have gas on their shields
    obviously at first we were desperately looking for fuel leaks but never found a leak
    then it was being noticed that the fuel had oil in it and the air filter had spots where the oil was washed out
    it was clear that the fuel was coming out of the carburetor and through the filter
    so then we are going crazy changing float levels and baffles in the carb --- but still getting fuel on the filter
    a piece of duct tape on the right side of the filter element fixed the problem
    at that time we became more conscious of air cleaner placement and how we deflect the moving air.

as the aerodynamics of noses and hoods change so does the need for evolution of our air filter assemblies
    we used to think we were just deflecting the big dirt chunks ---but there is more to it than that

hope some of that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 10-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Srxsrule and Brad what size wire do you use/recommend for the grounds?

Wouldn't the cylinder heads be grounded through the head studs/bolts? At least on a steel block (crate)...I could see extra grounds on an aluminum block, but just wondering...

"Wouldn't the cylinder heads be grounded through the head studs/bolts? At least on a steel block (crate)...I could see extra grounds on an aluminum block, but just wondering..."

Yes, but not as well as it could be. Most people use sealer on head bolts or studs, thats going to effect the ground. Any corrosion that happens between the block, head gasket, cylinder head are all going to effect this also.

This is easy to check, all you need is a quality DVOM and do a voltage drop test. You can see how good of a connection you really have. In this situation you would put your test leads on the negative battery post and the cylinder head.

Good idea Brad.Here is my topic for debate where I race you can have a clip car with a 3 link rear with a built motor by that I mean 4 eyebrow ft hyper pistons hyd cam no lift rule any carb made ignition vortec heads stock rockers stock rods and crank or equivalent you also run e85 with i do and love what would you guess hp is I guessing 400 +. Now you can run full jig car with 602. I want to build a clone 602 which I can do for around 1500$. The motor i described is hanging on my engine stand which could be a clone with piston and cam change and I have 1500$ in it so cost would be the same when building it just buy right components when building.My proposal to track is this anytime they can walk up say they want to check it .I pull cyl head check it on my dime it's good they seal other head timing cover. This way I reassemble motor not having to pay reseal fee to a builder. I also proposed this to Mike Vaugh as he is wanting me to run an open wheel which requires a 602 . The answer was no as I am one of the few people around he said that can build my own engines HUH. My point to him was this i can afford 1500$ a bit better than I can close to 4 grand. So old guys who do it all are just walking away on count of stuff like this.Marvin Ford who is a good friend of mine told me also a clone 602 would not out run a real 602 did not know why just would not do it..So give me your thoughts on clone 602 and hp on my other engine.I would love to have jig car as used ones are reasonable but motor would be my hold up.I even offered to carry extra wgt with clone but no go on that either.
    Last edited by RW57; 10-21-2019 at 04:09 PM.

been a really long day RW57 ---I promise to give you my response soon---I have to head out early in the morning for some engine pick ups but will respond soon---I think I have your answer just want time to explain my thought process

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Great this was a great idea I am a do it all racer and money is a big issue like it is for all racers I just don't like being forced out .Back in my prime 35 yrs ago you out worked out smarted people you needed a trick part you made it not that way anymore thanks for your efforts and time as you have answered basically anything I have ever asked. Yes I miss Dyno Man he was always entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    Great this was a great idea I am a do it all racer and money is a big issue like it is for all racers I just don't like being forced out .Back in my prime 35 yrs ago you out worked out smarted people you needed a trick part you made it not that way anymore thanks for your efforts and time as you have answered basically anything I have ever asked. Yes I miss Dyno Man he was always entertaining.
    Dynoman is still alive and kicking, the best I can tell from Google!

Alien Race Engines is still open......I will say this, I have a family member that knows him from selling machine shop equipment. He says he's a sharp dude!