Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: let's chat

I hate FB but I love conversation so I am gonna change it up a bit here so we can spark some conversation

AERO--in crates

I am an old guy and 30 years ago aero stuff was only for looks but in today's world it seems to be just as important as engine, chassis, tires and shocks even on short tracks

I drive a 34 foot motorhome to most races and I have learned more about air while driving that thing than many have learned in a wind tunnel---but what I know for sure is that air absolutely makes a difference

can you believe we would talk about drafting in dirt late models or the "aero push"--LOL

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Any hp differences between a block mounted fuel pump or reverse mount style? Seems like on social media, more are shipped out with the block mounted ones!

Great topic Zero
    what we have found in the 400HP world of crates is that it really doesn't add up to a hill of beans either way

we do like rear pumps for keeping the heat from the fluids
    chassis builders like rear pumps for more central weight
    it is a debate subject that a belt pump has less cavitation than a pulse pump but i truthfully cannot say dyno wise that I see a benefit in the 400HP application either way

I want to wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving
    it is the best day of the year

Brad
    www.race-1.com

IMCA just changed from 6400 rpm to 6800. What should I look at doing with my 45 race old crate? I have not changed valve springs but won the last two races we were in.

this recent change by IMCA will have plenty of your competitors lacking performance and flirting with engine failure on race day---you are ahead of the game by researching the topic before changing the chip and adding gear.

going from 6400 to 6800 is going to perk them babies up without a doubt but the valve train must be addressed---

worn out springs will run just fine at 6400 but to achieve 6800 with performance and dependability you need to be on top of the spring maintenance and something else is installed height.
    many times when an engine is intended to run low rpm (6400) the installed heights have not been set
    Setting those spring heights (CORRECTLY) is critical.

set your installed heights
    install good qualified springs with an open pressure no less than 270 pounds at 1.300 (open)

do that and you will be far ahead of the guys that just changed the chip and added gear

hope that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

with prices of everything we touch escilating on a daily basis will racing come to a point that we say its time to cancel the season?

it's a sad time in the world right now and it is very hard to find products but even when you do find what you need, the cost is considerably higher than expected.

I am having a hard time even guessing what the season will bring

Brad

With fuel and tire prices on a steady rise how long will teams try to stretch the amount of laps on things like engines, rearends, transmissions, or maybe even tires in some cases to try and save? Does it eventually catch up and the failure rate of a ticking time bomb becomes more with them pushing the envelope on things that have a fairly know time on an already lit fuse. Will it become something that ends up costing them more money by trying to save some. Brad, with the crate engines can they be rebuilt or only refreshed? Are the tolerances so close that if it blows up you just need to buy a new one or can it be pieced back together and still be legal

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    with prices of everything we touch escilating on a daily basis will racing come to a point that we say its time to cancel the season?

it's a sad time in the world right now and it is very hard to find products but even when you do find what you need, the cost is considerably higher than expected.

I am having a hard time even guessing what the season will bring

Brad
    I fear it will escalate the death of an already dying sport...

unfortunately when a crate actually "blows up"--there is usually nothing but a set of valve covers and maybe an intake manifold
    when a piston fails (and that is usually what goes first) it goes off like bomb
    there is no boring or oversized anything permitted for the cylinders
    cranks can be ground 10/10 but other than that you are stuck with factory specs

fortunately with average maintenance and keeping the RPM and timing in check they will last a really long time

Brad

Brad, when you were testing the flat base air cleaners did you ever do any tests with spacers under the base? Just wondering if maybe a 2" spacer between carb and base would change anything for the good with it maybe giving it a velocity stack effect.

the spacer rings move the torque number around a bit
    really it's nothing game changing (on a crate)
    my opinion is the correct height to gather cool air while not too high to decrease downforce or to create turbulance within the housing is more important than being able to tune the torque by a couple digites per RPM range

Ben Walker is big on changing the sure seal ring height to customize the torque for track conditions but I just don't see enough swing in a crate engine to compromise the other posabilities
    800HP is probably a different story

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Thanks Brad. Always good solid info. Anything fun, new or exciting you might be working on or hear about? It has become a little stale on here lately.

I hear you on the stale part
    actually thats why I started this thread a while back just to spark up some conversation for those of us that are not facebook junkies

as for me ---I live in the crate box---it's pretty much the same all the time
    we need dynoman 14 to come back with some space age technology LOL

we recently added O2 sensors to our dyno and that is quite the eye opener from traditional flow meters to calculate fuel curve

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Dynoman 14???......i always thought that was yours or Hendrens alter ego!....lol.....jk!

With all the intake manifold inserts on the market now, has there been any testing to see any power increases or even just moving the power band around?

With having the O2 sensors now how close is the distribution on the GM 604 intake manifold from the factory.

I currently only have one O2 sensor in each collector and the unbalance that I see in that is disturbing
    I have an associate in Canada that runs 10 O2's and he is guiding me into this process
    He tells me the imbalance that I am seeing will be caused by one dominant or weak cylinder.

once i get a handle on this ---I will start creating track conditions by rolling the engine to the right 7 to 10 degrees and blowing high speed air at the air cleaner---this will help tell us if dynamic conditions help or hurt

right now I am just trying to get my head wrapped around the information

i am really not sure what attempt we can or will do to balance the cylinders but I don't want to start that process until I am much more comfortable with the information

to say the least it is quite an eye opener

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Im glad to hear your getting in to this , my brother retires from work in about a year and a half and we plan on getting a new or new as we can dyno , he is more of the tech geek and loves this kind of stuff ....

I just cheked in and realized there has not been a post on the crate tech tab for over 2 months

what has happened to our chat boards???

My guess is everyone now runs the exact same stuff. Not much need to discuss different combos or better parts. They get the best that money can buy just like almost every car parked near them and can't figure out why they are not any faster than any of them. Not very many racers today want to try and make themselves faster, they only want to buy themselves faster. Plus most of the threads on here have gone to the idiots. If a person puts something worth a darn on the site some jack leg hijacks it and turns it negative. I personally don't run crates but I always check on here cause there is a chance I can learn something. This thread has been going a long time and has a lot of good info in it.

Default needs more power.... so i rewired it!!!

ight now I am just trying to get my head wrapped around the information

i am really not sure what attempt we can or will do to balance the cylinders but I don't want to start that process until I am much more comfortable with the information

to say the least it is quite an eye opener

Brad
    www.race-1.com[/QUOTE]

Brad, after the possible weak cylinder has been identified can you check signal wheel and rotor phasing? Mayne massage the signal wheels location a bit to get more or less timing to help balance out the cylinders? just a thought. dunno if it is feasable
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.